Summit Alaska on shore accident

joanjr

Yes it does!:rolleyes: Many people are confused when deciding which excursions they want to book. They wonder if it is worth the extra money to go with the approved vendors the cruise line uses or not.

After the Chili accident it was greatly noted that maybe using approved vendors was the only way to go.

So if this was an approved vendor then you may come to the conclusion that using an approved or not approved does not really make any difference as to safety.

Yes it does!:rolleyes: Many people are confused when deciding which excursions they want to book. They wonder if it is worth the extra money to go with the approved vendors the cruise line uses or not.

After the Chili accident it was greatly noted that maybe using approved vendors was the only way to go.

So if this was an approved vendor then you may come to the conclusion that using an approved or not approved does not really make any difference as to safety.

The irony is that frequently the same vendors that provide excursions for the cruise lines also provide independent tours for individuals.

Accidents are tragic, they do happen when we travel as well as when we don't. Using ship's excursions will not guarantee your safety, although it will guarantee that the ship will wait for you if your excursion is late returning to the port.

Susan

The irony is that frequently the same vendors that provide

Susan

I tried to book an indepenent tour in Aruba, I think, and they told me they could not do it because they did tours for the ship and it would be a conflict of interest. Maybe the less scrupulous do it but then I would be afraid to book them, if I knew. Of course it may differ from cruise to cruise and port to port.

It does vary from ship to ship and port to port.

But, the driver in the Millie excursion accident apparently fell asleep. If this had been a ship's excursion, there is no way that X could certify that every driver showed up for work fully rested.

The latest accident involved a driver trying to avoid potholes in the road.

In both cases the accidents were the result of human error, not negligent maintenance or poor equipment or something that Celebrity could verify or approve. If either accident involved faulty equipment then perhaps there could be some cause for concern about using tour operators other than the Celebrity vendors.

But human errors happen everywhere, they are part of the risk of traveling, as the Crown Princess passengers found out last month when a human error caused the ship to list and injured dozens.

A ship's excursion is no guarantee of safety.

Susan

Archived