Be Warned when booking Directly with RCI

Bandit

I booked a cruise over the weekend, after my travel agent had closed, for a friend, who is computer illiterate. This person is a senior who still lives in the 50 & 60's. So when he asked me to book his cruise I did so.

When I called RCI's 800 number I spoke with their representive and told him why I was booking this cruise and for whom. I told him that there were only two rooms available on their webb site that this person wanted. We wanted to make sure he got what he wanted. That is why we did not wait until Monday to book his cruise with the travel agent.

The RCI agent said no problum. We could book the cruise and turn it over to his travel agent on Monday. So we booked the cruise and sent the TA an email with the booking number and asked her to pick it up.

On Monday the TA called me and said that RCI would not release the booking to her. That we needed to call RCI and tell them to release the booking to her. I did so, and after much waiting. Mondays are very busy. I was told that they could no longer release any bookings by phone. That we would have to go on their webb site. Down load their transfer form, sign it and fax it to them.

When I attempted to down load the form. My computer froze up. Never did get the form down loaded. Called the TA and told her. She was able to down load it and mail it to us. It was either that or driving downtown to her office and filling it out and signing it there.

My point is, that to book by phone directly with RCI is no longer convient, nor senior friendly, let alone, customer friendly. How many people have fax machines in their home.

So be warned that if you book directly with RCI by phone or on line and you try to transfer the booking to your travel agent you will not find it customer friendly.

Bandit

We always book directly with our travel agent or book onboard and have the booking transferred to our agent. I understand your situation but I think that it is understandable why RCI wants to have that transfer request in writing. Otherwise someone could, if they gained access to your booking number, call the cruiseline and create all sorts of havoc with your reservation. Not only could they transfer your booking, with you totally unaware, they could also change your room, dinner seating, and who knows what else. Since you had already reserved the room you wanted, you could effect the transfer at your leisure and while lack of internet access or a fax machine is a problem, there are usually places that offer both services should you need them.

I think that RCCL requiring something in writing is for EVERYONES protection, because if it is done verbally, then someone will come on here and say that they told RCCL something on the phone and they said " blah,blah,blah" and then they didn't do something correctly or the way the customer wanted it. I am not sure why requiring something in writing makes RCCL unfriendly to customers or seniors and you can't blame RCCL because your computer froze.

I'm totally showing my ignorance here, but I'm really curious. Why would you book with Royal Caribbean direct then transfer that booking to a travel agent? I have booked our last three cruises directly through Royal Caribbean and never did any other travel agent get involved one way or the other.

Is there something I don't know? I just leave everything to RCI. Is there a great advantage to going through a travel agent...huge discounts, special coupons, party favors, free champagne in your room? I'd really like to know what I've been missing by doing what I thought was the simplest way to book?:confused:

but...

I just got off the phone this morning at about 10:00 a.m. transferring my reservation made last April on Mariner to a TA. The lady that I talked to was very helpful, advised me to make sure that my TA simply took over the reservation so that I kept my $100 cabin credit for booking onboard, anwered all my questions, and the deed is now done. My TA called since then and now has the booking.

I'm totally showing my ignorance here, but I'm really curious. Why would you book with Royal Caribbean direct then transfer that booking to a travel agent? I have booked our last three cruises directly through Royal Caribbean and never did any other travel agent get involved one way or the other.

Is there something I don't know? I just leave everything to RCI. Is there a great advantage to going through a travel agent...huge discounts, special coupons, party favors, free champagne in your room? I'd really like to know what I've been missing by doing what I thought was the simplest way to book?:confused:

Some TA's do give perks, like free travel insurance or somthing like that, but the actual fare is the same as RCCL does not discount to TA's . Many people like having TA's. We also ONLY book with the cruiselines direct, no you are not missing anything, because once you do switch it to a TA you no longer "own" your reservation the TA does and if you have any issues then the TA must call because RCCL will not talk to you.

Is this new????????

I did the same thing only 3 weeks ago. Called RC to secure an aft cabin which was on a Sunday and then on Monday sat in my ta's office and got the booking transfered on the phone...........

I suggest you call back and talk to a rep until you get it transfered. I have no problem with doing it in writing.........but it certainly didn't happen that way for us 3 weeks ago.

wraithe,

A travel agent can sometimes give you a few extras. We just gave our QM2 cruise for next year to our TA. We got $200.00 cabin credit and will have wine and canapes for us on the first day courtesy of our TA. Nice reason to switch.

I also sometimes book directly to get the cabin I want and then switch to a TA. Depends if I think the cruise will fill up quickly or the cruise has been open for awhile. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just booked the Owners Suite on the Majesty of the Seas directly. Since there are only 3 of these suites, I grabbed one quickly. I will be switching this over to my TA (hope she gives me more surprises like she got us for the QM2 cruise).

I also agree with the other posters. I feel RCI is doing this for our protection.

Ed

Sue L and Wraithe, thank you for your prompt answers. I guess I may continue just going directly to Royal Caribbean because it might be easier to resolve problems, but, thank heaven I have never had a problem with them. I'm for leaving out extra layers so as to avoid complications. Besides, gotta confess, I don't really know a travel agent, so it just seems easier to call RCI directly.

I had booked through RCCL and transferd my booking to a TA after I found out that the TA's company was a part of e-scrip which donated a portion of your purchase to your choice of youth groups.

By switching to them I was able to give 5% of my total bill to charity!!

:D

wraithe,

I just booked the Owners Suite on the Majesty of the Seas directly. Since there are only 3 of these suites, I grabbed one quickly. I will be switching this over to my TA (hope she gives me more surprises like she got us for the QM2 cruise).

Ed

Need a cabin mate?? :D , LOL, I'm suuuurre that you'll enjoy this cruise.

I had booked through RCCL and transferd my booking to a TA after I found out that the TA's company was a part of e-scrip which donated a portion of your purchase to your choice of youth groups.

By switching to them I was able to give 5% of my total bill to charity!!

:D

A case like that would be very worthwhile. If I knew of such a situation, I might consider booking through a charitable-minded TA.

I still use a TA because she gave me very good discounts back when she was able to. I guess it is kind of a reward for giving me the breaks when she could.

Could part of the problem lie in the fact that the booking was not for you, but a third party? No doubt it's frustrating and the computer freezing is absolutely annoying. But, you're not the travelling party and you're not the TA. That they want any changes in writing is not surprising.

I reserved a cabin for my seionr aunt earlier this year, online. I wanted to transfer it to our TA, I had booked it online for the location. After speaking with the TA, she called my Aunt directly and left me out of the loop. Perfectly fine by me. Not only did she take great care of my Aunt, she got her a better rate for the same exact cabin.

I just transferred a reservation from RCCL over to a TA by phone with no problems. I changed to a TA because I found the military rate for my D2 was $272 cheaper and you can only get military rate through an Interline TA, I had no problems transferring including all the money which was already paid to RCCL.

A reminder is apparently needed here on the community guidelines regarding travel agents:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Any requests for sharing a TA name will also be removed immediately, as will any posts that suggest a member be contacted for his/her TA name.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

A reminder is apparently needed here on the community guidelines regarding travel agents:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Any requests for sharing a TA name will also be removed immediately, as will any posts that suggest a member be contacted for his/her TA name.

Karen

I'm sorry. I don't understand how you can remove messages suggesting that information prohibited by the red official terms of service that you quote above be taken to private correspondence. That seems just a wee bit capricious.

Personally, I am quite happy dealing with RCCL directly. But, not actually knowing any travel agents and not willing to just stick a pin at random in the phonebook, were I to want one, I would be grateful to have someone whose judgement I've grown to value on these boards let me know (PRIVATELY). However, if you are just planning on removing any hope of letting that poster know we would like to contact them about that, either we will have to develop a really sophisticated code or telepathy.

KarinaGW, here is a link to a thread that discussed part of your question quite recently: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=395754

When someone writes that other members should e-mail him/her for a travel agent name, that person is essentially advertising for that TA, which is not allowed on CruiseCritic. Also, it's possible that the person who posted it is a TA and is simply attempting to drum up business. As stated, posts regarding e-mailing TA names are removed -- and the moderators are fairly good at interpreting "code," which is already used more often than one might surmise.

As I suggested on either the thread mentioned above or on another thread regarding this frequently discussed topic, posters should ask friends, family members, and -- especially -- other passengers during their cruises if they would recommend a TA. That's how we found ours.

Karen

I just transfered my booking from RCI to a travel agent on Monday:confused:

I called crown and anchor on Sunday and gave them all the information. I had booked onboard for the ship board credit. They told me to have TA call them on Monday and it was done. My TA did tell me that RCI will not do the transfer with

a 1 800 number. It has to be a local number if that makes since.

Carrie

Dear Bandit, thanks for warning us that in your case the reservation transfer took a some extra effort. It appears alot of people like to book on "off" hours and then transfer to a TA. Thanks for warning that in your case it had to be done in writing. Please ignor some of the negative comments that you received and continue to post your information, it is appreciated.

Thanks.

Archived