For Wyncruiser, et al - Re On-line Agents

serendipity1499

Twoatsea..Thanks so much for the info on the Personal Cruise consultant...Will try to contact one for a rate quote on our next cruise..

You ask how I would handle problems... First of all I'm used to handling any problems that might arise..I retired after being in International Airline Sales for 30 years plus...I book all our Domestic air & some International flights, car rentals, hotels, cruises, insurance, & tours in some ports etc...As long as our Doc's are in order I can handle any problem myself..Will always carefully check our docs & have our pre-registration completed prior to check in at the port..

For International cruises many times I've booked our air, but more often than not we book with a well known Travel Wholesaler...This Agent has been handling my DH's Company for over 30 years & I dealt with them during my working years..They specialize in all inclusive tours: IE. air, transfers, hotels, city tours, as well as cruises..

If I wanted to, I could handle all the International arrangements myself, as we've traveled all over the world as Non-Rev Pax....However I've gotten very lazy ;) & to the point that we no longer want to schlep our baggage around after flying more than 8-10 hours.. We enjoy having someone meet us at the airport, handle our transfers & deliver our luggage to our hotel.. I guess I've become pretty spoiled! ;) LOL

And as Lou said, no one is trying to change anyones way of booking if you are comfortable with it.. I only started this thread to tell my experience with our on-line agent..Last year at this time I was from Missouri & would have never believed that our Cruise price could be so much lower..I've learned so much from this board & enjoy the wonderful way CC's have of exchanging ideas about travel..

Thanks again for the info on HAL'S Personal Consultants & will be sure to check this out next time..

Happy cruising all..:) Betty

WNY, I absolutely will! I never even knew they existed and that's one of the things I love about CC. There's a wealth of info here you just won't find anywhere else.

And I just want to reiterate what Lou and Betty are saying ... never would I try to convince anyone to switch over from a TA they are already happy with. Being confident in your TA is of #1 importance.

But as Syms says;) ... "An educated consumer is our best customer". So it pays to shop around just like you would if you're buying a car. You can go back to your regular dealer, but it's best to go there armed.

As I said earlier, I have switched TAs for our 2007 cruise because of something that happened with my regular TA that I was disappointed about. So we'll see how this one does (already their service is not a match for the other but I keep an open mind;) ).

I know I set a high standard, but no higher than I set for myself.

I would like to continue this discussion, but when I try to give any details, my post keep getting eliminated in many areas of this board.

I am guessing the advertisers feel threatened by my posts and are asking me to be removed. I am not a TA and I am not a shill for any agency. I have not mentioned any agency by name. I just like helping people and I want them to get the great rates I get.

Also,if I recall in the past the hosts would e-mail you the reason for removal of your post......I am not getting those now.... they just disappear.

I have gotten e-mail from posters, mainly newbies, that get very frustrated with this board when seeking advice on TAs. So its I gets its not just me.

So I guess I will have to bail on this thread too and stick to the more "jeans in the dining room" and "smuggling booze on board" threads.

I have gotten e-mail from posters, mainly newbies, that get very frustrated with this board when seeking advice on TAs. So its I gets its not just me.quote]

totally agree - i know that when you and i post we are trying to give legitimate anwers based on our personal experiences and to fully do that it is sometimes necessary to include a specific name or agency

however i can see the boards point of view that some people could create posts under different names exaulting the virtues of their own business without advising the reader of that relationship in order to drum up business

Understand why some posts are being removed.. We're not permitted to name our Travel Agents & the hosts will automatically remove them if we do & not tell you why your post was removed....Cruise Critic specifically spells this out in their Guidelines link at the top of this page..This has been in effect for many years & it's the only fair way to do it...Also what happens if I recommend a Travel Agent to you & he bungles your reservation? :( You will blame me & I'll feel dreadful!:o

So we'll just have to play by the rules & do our own research..That's the fun of it..

I trust it's OK to name our Travel Insurance Companies , because it does not look like any of those posts have been removed..Perhaps Host Walt or Host Doug would clarify this for us..

And I believe that planning our trips is half the fun...If we talk about our trips too much to friends at home, it might sound like we're bragging..But talking about them on CC makes the time pass faster & keeps me from getting bored.;) ..After all, we're all in the same boat here, err I mean ship:o ..Happy researching everyone!:) Betty

No Lou...It's a 14 nighter..Usually a 14 day cruise calls for 4 formal & 3 informal, but it's the sea days that are throwing me off..:confused:

First 3 nights are at sea on the way to San Juan, then we have 8 days in a row in Ports with 5:P.M, 6 P.M & 2 midnight departures, then have 3 more nights in a row at sea on the way back from Aruba to Tampa..

Also wonder if they would have formal nights during port days, so it could very well be only 2 formal.. Will plan on 4 & 3 but may have to change my list when Doc's arrive..I hate being in the dark, as like to plan ahead!;)

Happy cruising all..:) Betty

I did the 14 day cruise last year. We had 2 formal nights since it was very port intense.

I trust it's OK to name our Travel Insurance Companies , because it does not look like any of those posts have been removed..Perhaps Host Walt or Host Doug would clarify this for us..

when it comes to insurance i always suggest that they go to www.insuremytrip.com -- i guess that technically im not endorsing an insurance company because this is just a site to the insurance companies--on the other side of the coin people give the names and web addresses to excursion companies and that doesnt seem to set off any bells- maybe doug or walt will take a minute to clarify

Do you always get a paper or email confirmation that has all the details concerning fees and how to cancel?

If when you get the more detailed confirmation there is a fee in it that you don't agree to, can you cancel at that point, kind of like buyer's remorse? and not be charged anything at all not even a booking fee?

Betty,

Just for clarification......I am well aware of the prohibition on posting TA names. My deleted posts didn't contain any.

Also, even though the guidelines say you won't be notified, I have in the past been notified. Could have been on the Princess board, but still on Cruise Critic.

I think someone on this board is being extra scrupulous whenever my name pops ups. I appreciate their vigilance, but why is this thread still here since almost everyone know who the "no-phone" TA is.......even a newbie can figure that out because there is only one no-phone agency that I know of.

So basically you can freely promote a prefered TA who advertises here (against stated board policy)...... but I can't even post my e-mail address to talk about it in private. (e-mail is now in my signature).

If rules are to be followed this thread should be removed.

I agree that CC has always been very clear that absolutely no advertising is allowed here and that would include the mention of TAs. Granted, if you or I mention a TA we don't see it as advertising because we are not TAs. But CC has no way of knowing that. Many TAs post here and could easily disguise themselves as just giving friendly, helpful advice.

So I have no problem at all in the removal of any posts that give a TA's name. If it doesn't, then I can't see why it would "poof". I don't read back to even know whether mine stay or not!!!:)

Insuremytrip is always a good place to start, but they only include the companies who are paying them. So it doesn't hurt to look elsewhere as well.

Happy Cruzer, it is up to us (the consumer) to read all "the fine print" on a website. They are not forthcoming about any fees they charge and they certainly don't send it in writing.

However, on each TA site, there is a section that says something like .... Terms of Use (sometimes this takes some searching). You have to read for a very long time before you get to the part that tells you about any administrative or cancellation fees, but it's there and it covers their b***:) . So it's always "buyer beware" and this would be true with any TA, not just internet TAs.

Hi, I think they probably do put it somewhere on their website but I hope they have to send you sometning like an email or letter. They can change their website to say anything at any time. So again my question is about a reservation once you have made it, do you have a certain period to receive something in writing with details and to change your mind?

thansk and I must say everyone is getting along today hee hee :)

Do you always get a paper or email confirmation that has all the details concerning fees and how to cancel?

If when you get the more detailed confirmation there is a fee in it that you don't agree to, can you cancel at that point, kind of like buyer's remorse? and not be charged anything at all not even a booking fee?

/quote]

my on line ta sends me an email with attachment that shows all the details of my cruise -- there are no fees and all info regarding cancellations etc are on the web site to read before booking- the credit card number i give him is processed by the cruise line direct --when i get his email the cruise id number is there and i go to the cruise web site and check that they have my reservation

So basically you can freely promote a prefered TA who advertises here (against stated board policy)...... but I can't even post my e-mail address to talk about it in private. (e-mail is now in my signature).

If rules are to be followed this thread should be removed.

the ta we all know but cant say is an advertiser on this board - on the very top of the page is "cruise agencies" and if you look there the ta in question is number 11 -- so they are advertisers -- the hosts cant read every post but there are certain words that are filtered out- will will post the entire web site of the ta and just see what happens

www.***********.com

the other think is that there is a little triangle on the upper right of all posts and if you click that you can then send a message to the hosts telling them why yuo think a post should be removed and it they agree its gone

Sean, I'm not sure where your confusion lies. No, you cannot freely promote any TA whether they advertise here or not. None. Zilch. Nada.

If you do link a website for a TA, it might take initially but invariably someone is going to report it and it will be gone. All advertising, TA or otherwise, is removed.

Why does this bother you? You can email anyone you want (who provides their email address and many of us do) and they'll be glad to give you the info you want. Months ago I must have emailed with at least 25 people about TA's.

But CC is not allowing some and not allowing others. No advertising period on CC.

P.S. I believe there are other internet TA's who work only through email. Could be wrong, but I've found a couple in my travels. So to say it's a no phone agent isn't necessarily a red flag.

Hey, Lougee, I think I would be ok at booking time if only my credit card is charged by the cruiseline for the proper amount. but I think I would have to have the cancellation policy in writing. The website can change. It can have no mention of a cancellation fee to be paid to the TA when you book and a $75 one can me mentioned when it is time to cancel.

I didn't protest the cancellation fee for my last experience with a TA because they had told me there was a fee on the phone (they did not say it was their fee, I assumed it was the cruiselines, yuk). and it was in the paperwork clearly their fee when I did read it. I'm just wondering if right then I could have cancelled my reservation and gotten my booking fee back because I had not had an opportunity to read the details, remember in the particular case I'm referring to I was online with one Travel company and then told to phone in to book cruise and that phone number ended up routing me to one the advertising companies. I made the decision to stay with it as booked and just note not to let this happen again. But if I had decided that I did not want this policy , I wonder could I have just canceled and tried to get my booking fee back?

And worse yet if the same thing happened when you were booking closer to the sail date you might have a cruiseline cancellation fee or loss of deposit.

Bottom line are you really on the hook the very second you make your reservation or do you have the right to see it in writing and then change you mind say in 3 days?

Archived