Tell me your good and bad experiences with Guarantee cabins

We've booked guarantees every time we've been on Royal Caribbean (three times).

First time, we booked an inside guarantee and got an inside (I think category N).

Second time, we booked a D1 guarantee and got a Junior suite! WOOHOO!

The last time, we booked an oceanview guarantee and got a category H (oceanview).

I've never had a "bad" experience because I realize that if I book a Cat Guarantee that I may receive the "worst" cabin in that category.

My best bump was from lowest inside to large outside window. I also had a bump from lowest inside to an obstructed view with a door that opened to the outside (near the lifeboats).

The least bump was from lowest inside to just a deck higher, on the inside, all the way forward. I don't mind being inside at all. Actually I really like the quietness and darkness. however, all the way forward on the bottom makes for long trips to get to most areas of the ship (forget about the elevator...too many stops).

but I am too concerned about cabin location to try an "upgrade" by reserving a guarantee. Sometimes the upgrade only means going up a deck or 2 and sometimes it works out to be great. I pick my cabin as I want mid-ship. I absolutely hate the thought of getting a cabin near the ship's bow. I just try to book early and get a good price on the cabin of my choice and to avoid the possibility of getting an unpleasant surprise. I see from these boards that some people have gotten some very nice upgrades tho.

A group we sail with every year always only offers a couple of classes of Gty cabins. I've always been put in a higher class but many have gotten the Gty. Never a problem for me.

On our own, we booked a December cruise in the lowest balcony Gty we could get. There are only eight of these cabins in this class and even though the cabin are a little smaller than the other classes, they are all aft corners with almost double the size of balcony of the higher classes. I'm sure there will be eight that want these for the location and the balcony size, so I'm almost sure we will be moved up to another class with the larger cabins. I would be more than happy to stay with the Gty but I'm saving a bunch doing this as a Gty.

We usualy book Gte cabins. A few years ago on the Legend Nothern Europe, cruise two cabins booked Gte Inside, and we received outside cabins. We were very happy with .

The best was last year on the Jewel there were 3 couples and we all had D1 balcony cabins and all were upgraded to JS. Doubt that will happen again for our Freedom cruise in October.

• 1 month later...
WE are doing a 9 night on Explorer Oct 20. D3 deck six. Please let me know how you like the cabin

We had cabin 6222 - Deck 6 - D3 - loved it. This was only our second cruise so I'm not an expert on which end of the ship is better as far as motion goes. The room was comfortable and spacious enough - room steward was great. Location was awesome - took me less than 5 minutes to go to the Cafe Promanade and get coffee, dessert, snacks, whatever. One more flight down was the theater. The balcony was great but did have a steel bottom - didn't bother us at all as this was our first balcony and so long as I could see the ocean, I was happy.

Enjoy! We sure did. ;)

I've been upgraded about 60% of the time. Usually we've booked an inside guarantee and ended up w/an oceanview. The best upgrade was this May on the Liberty when we were upgraded from an inside guarantee to the front handicapped outside HUGE room w/deck right outside (not balcony, you had to actually leave the room but the door to the bow of the ship deck was directly outside ours...it was AWESOME). For my past 3 cruises w/Royal Caribbean they havent upgraded us though. Hmmm...

We booked in May a G.inside stateroom for our cruise in august on the Galaxy. We got a stateroom on the Penthousedeck and situated in the front of the ship. There was no kitchen and no noise from the pooldeck above. Price was 300 euro p.p. cheaper than our tablemates paid for the same category.

We don't care which deck and what stateroom.

I have been checking several cruises on RCI's website, but when I go to check the prices, I don't see the option of a guarantee available. Do they limit the number of guarantees that they offer per cruise? Would I have a better chance if I called them directly instead of trying to book online?

Thanks,

Mary Lou

The first time we booked gty, it was gty inside, got upgraded to Balcony on deck 8:D ...this time booked gyt OV...got ubstructed view deck 8:o ...so its a gamble that sometimes pays off...some times you get what you pay for...I say go for it!:)

Plan on getting a lower deck and an aft or forward cabin when doing the guarantee and if you're upgraded that's the bonus of the gamble!!!!.

I booked 2 inside guarantees on the Sovereign for Oct 16 fully expecting deck 2 forward, which was fine but got deck 5 midships. Our cabins were far apart as well. I called RCCL and got us together. Worked out great. GEEZ 12 days......Can't wait.

I may be the cheapest person alive but I always book gty if available. When putting togethor my budget, I would rather have extra mony for drinks and activities as I spend very little time in my room I prepare for the worst room on the ship and if it is better then that is a bonus. My results are:

9/05- Vision of the seas to Alaska. I had originally booked a top level inside for $714 each which had great access to areas that I could go out and look at the scenery. The made available a z cat gty inside for $499 and it was a no brainer for me to downgrade and save $430 on the room (2 people). I ended up on the bottom deck mid ship but was very happy.

09/06- NCL Majesty to Bermuda- Booked a gty ovw for $529 each (with $25 ea onboard credit). Got an obstructed view room on the top level. Did not mind the obstructed view and loved the location as a small balcony was very close that no one was ever at (but me of course).

11/06- Majesty of the Seas to Bahamas- Originally booked an obstructed ovw at $258 ea but when the $189 inside gty came out I could not resist temptation so I downgraded (always wanted to say I went on a cruise under $200). Currently assigned to inside room on 5th deck.

I think if you spend much time in your room then a gty may not be right for you but if you have expecations as mine and do not spend too much time in the room it is an outstanding way to save money. Most cruises I spend much more money on my charge card than I actually do on the room-- but that is just me.

we booked a d3 gty once- got a d3 cabin that was about 8 cabins from back of ship- dh hated the walk- i didn't mind as it forced us to walk off some calories each trip-

there is a gty option on our cruise for oct- same cat we booked- we have a hump bal e2- wondered about switching to the gty for a chance at a js- there are 5 js left - probably a bad decision to switch.....hoping for the fairy dust to hit us......:)

I have been checking several cruises on RCI's website, but when I go to check the prices, I don't see the option of a guarantee available. Do they limit the number of guarantees that they offer per cruise? Would I have a better chance if I called them directly instead of trying to book online?

Thanks,

Mary Lou

They usually only offer the guarantees when they are having trouble selling a particular category or sailing. They do not offer them on all cruises in all categories. They also usually only show up if you have 2 people in the cabin. When I've booked solo in the past, I've looked on the website to see what they have available for 2 people to book, and if there is a guarantee I have to call to book the guarantee because guarantees do not show up if you are booking for only 1 person.

Thanks,

Mary Lou

I have been wondering the same thing. Do you just have to check all of the time, or how do you when when guarantees become available?

[quote name='daddymac']I have been wondering the same thing. Do you just have to check all of the time, or how do you when when guarantees become available?[/quote]

You have to just keep checking the website. There is no set time as to when or even if they will appear for your sailing. When they do appear, it is frequently after final payment is due.

I just changed my booking of an inside category L room to a balcony guaranty for the Voyager trip of December 2, 2006. For a $90 pp price difference I couldn't resist. My DH likes to be able to go out on the balconies. How can one find out what room they are assigned and can you find out before you get to the pier? Will it eventually show up on the "My cruises" section of the RCI website? 8 more weeks to go, I am getting really curious as to where our room will be.

Thanks for you help! :)

[quote name='chan62']I just changed my booking of an inside category L room to a balcony guaranty for the Voyager trip of December 2, 2006. For a $90 pp price difference I couldn't resist. My DH likes to be able to go out on the balconies. How can one find out what room they are assigned and can you find out before you get to the pier? Will it eventually show up on the "My cruises" section of the RCI website? 8 more weeks to go, I am getting really curious as to where our room will be.

Thanks for you help! :)[/quote]

They assigned my room the following day so I think you will see it on the website soon.

[quote name='chan62']I just changed my booking of an inside category L room to a balcony guaranty for the Voyager trip of December 2, 2006. For a $90 pp price difference I couldn't resist. My DH likes to be able to go out on the balconies. How can one find out what room they are assigned and can you find out before you get to the pier? Will it eventually show up on the "My cruises" section of the RCI website? 8 more weeks to go, I am getting really curious as to where our room will be.

Thanks for you help! :)[/quote]

We booked a suite guarantee last Tuesday, and by Thursday we had our cabin assignment....

[quote name='daddymac']I have been wondering the same thing. Do you just have to check all of the time, or how do you when when guarantees become available?[/quote]

We book direct with RCI and do not use private travel agents. Every time we have had a guarantee, the RCI agent has asked us if we would be interested in a guarantee in the category we had asked for. They usually offer the guarantee about the time I ask if they have a discount for seniors.

We haven't had a bad cabin YET, but I am kind of worried about the upcoming Radiance cruise. We want an ocean view cabin, but I am scared we will end up with a deck two OV with a teeny tiny porthole, not the larger window we have been used to having in past cruises. I don't mind deck two, but I would hate a porthole.

If that happens it will be our last guarantee unless it is a balcony guarantee.

[quote name='HeavySurf']We book direct with RCI and do not use private travel agents. Every time we have had a guarantee, the RCI agent has asked us if we would be interested in a guarantee in the category we had asked for. They usually offer the guarantee about the time I ask if they have a discount for seniors.

We haven't had a bad cabin YET, but I am kind of worried about the upcoming Radiance cruise. We want an ocean view cabin, but I am scared we will end up with a deck two OV with a teeny tiny porthole, not the larger window we have been used to having in past cruises. I don't mind deck two, but I would hate a porthole.

If that happens it will be our last guarantee unless it is a balcony guarantee.[/quote]

I am sure that once you get your assignment if you do not like it and the other rooms are still available they will let you upgrade for the differance and odds are there will be some available and I have never known them to turn down money. Hope it all works out well for you and don't stress out about it it will work out one way or the other.

I have just booked on Serenade OTS for December. We are having to do this on the cheap as it is a little extra cruise we are trying to fit in:) :) and very excited about it. We went with a GTY OV and just found out that they have given us 7006. Very pleased with it being on deck 7 as I was expecting 2 or 3 but it is the very first cabin, port side right at the front (over the theatre). Having read this thread I am now a little concerned about it and although I really will take any cabin they give me just to be cruising, I am wondering whether I should see if it can be changed. Is it better to be in this cabin on 7 or risk lower but in the middle? I realize everyone has different opinions but just interested on what others would do.
Thanks!

[quote name='wrp96'] They also usually only show up if you have 2 people in the cabin. When I've booked solo in the past, I've looked on the website to see what they have available for 2 people to book, and if there is a guarantee I have to call to book the guarantee because guarantees do not show up if you are booking for only 1 person.[/quote]

I just called RCCL and was told I could not book a oceanview guarantee because I am a solo cruisers.

Does anyone else have recent experience with this? Or if you are a TA, do you know more about this situation???

The price showing for oceanview for 2 people, is $10 more than the price for an inside. :eek:

Well I just received my room assignment for the Voyager of the Seas. It took 3 weeks. I booked for a balcony guaranty figuring I would get an E2 Balcony and I ended up with a D1 Balcony. I am so surprised. I am on Deck 6 though and aft but it sure is better than my original inside cabin. Does anyone know if the view is obstructed from Deck 6? Just curious. Thanks.

Archived