Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

Have heard so much positive and negative about renting a car. We were going to do Budget at the pier and drive aroound the day and see the beaches but so many have said how bad the driving is and the cost for collison etc.

What is the best choice?

Seeing the island cheap, yes you can take the public buses. They are small buses compared to those that run in the USA but of course, that's because we have a tiny population. I don't think that they charge more than a dollar or two, one way, depending on where you are going. A few good snorkeling beaches are DIVI Little Bay, Dawn Beach, and Maho Bay. DIVI is the closest beach to the pier and its about an 8 minute drive. Maho and Dawn Beach are about 25 and 20 minute drive respectively. DIVI is nice though, I think you'll like it.

Exactly where do you go to to snorkel at Maho bay? The Taxi drivers do not seem to know where to take snorkelers. Is there a restaurant or dive shop or something near the snorkeling area?

Saw a picture of it on a link in this thread, it looked really cool, steps go straight down to the ocean, fabulous view. Anyone know where it is and if it's worth going to? I'll be coming from a cruise ship

Googled it - pic's look great - a blurb said it was under construction - not sure if that's an old blurb...you can email them from the link on google...I did - and plan to stop for a drink if they are open.

Sandy

Fire away. I have been living in St.Maarten for 21 years and know the place pretty well. I will try to help as much as possible, because even though I know a lot, I don't know everything. ;)

I've been to Orient Beach a couple times - love the place but have found the bathrooms at the beach clubs we've gone to have been the pits. Do any of the Clubs (not including the C.O. Club Orient) have decent bathrooms and maybe even a changing room and/or shower to wash the salt off?

We had plan to do the Dolphin Discovery Swim when we come on RCCL in November. I was so looking forward to this until I happened to see a special on the Animal Planet channel about dolphins who have attacked humans, a rare experience, but scary nonetheless. They did identify various things in each of these rare attacks that they think were contributing factors, such as people hitting or teasing the dolphins. They said one good indicator of a professional and safe swim is when the trainers are in the water with the humans.

Do you happen to know anything about the dolphin swim? Have you ever done it and, if so, what did you think about it? Did you feel safe?

This is actually a kind of "life goal" of mine to swim with a dolphin, but now if I get bitten!!

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Oh my goodness, I haven't posted a reply in a long time! I apologize for that. It has been very hard to keep up with all the questions and after putting in a full day at work, I hardly have any energy to get on and post. I see that Kal and some others who know the island, have been posting and helping out, I hope that people continue to contribute and help answer or suggest their ideas to all the questions. I can barely keep up. ;)

Leogirl,

Hopefully no one has already asked this question, I just found this thread and only made it thru 2 pages so far. Here's my question: I would like to go horseback riding on one of the beaches with my spouse...do you know who I can go through to book this and if you know how much the charge is? Thanks in advance, I have learned a lot from the first 2 pages, I will read more in a few days. Thanks again:D

We know that we want to do Maho Beach as my son loves airplanes, but you dont' suggest that until 1pm. What would you recommend we do prior to Maho Beach? Would it still be a good beach for him to play at in the morning or should we think about going somewhere else first? We will be taking taxis...

Thanks.

Snoopy_leogirl,

There were so many questions and answers in this thread, I may have missed this...If you already answered, please forgive me.

We were on St Maarten several years ago and went to Rainbow Beach on the Dutch side. Great little beach with a restaurant/bar right there.

We were thinking of doing the same cruise in February of 2008 and when I was doing a little online research, I can't find anything about Rainbow Beach. Did the developers finally takeover that entire area or is that beach and restaraunt still there?

It also seem most all of the beaches are clothing optional or topless...is that really the case? We aren't really into that...you know the whole good naked and bad naked thing!;)

Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello snoopy leogirl! I see these reply's are a couple years old...but I was wondering about Pinapple Pete's Restraunt? And how far is Simpson bay from the pier? Must be nice to live in such a beautiful place that everyone wants to visit!. I hope your still there! I am taking my first cruise ever in Jan 08 with some other girls...4 of us....waited a lifetime to get the kids grown and now we are dealing with grandkids

Conweb.

Opps...sorry guess I didn't go far enough...I see the newer post...Glad your still there....but still looking to horseback ride from Bayside stables...also want to check out Pinapple Pete's and I have to have a tee shirt from Jimbos! Help

Thanks, Conweb

Snoopy Leogirl,

My question is regarding the nudity on the different beaches. Does Divi little bay beach have nudity also??? We are looking for a beach in St Maarten that has very little or no nudity.

Snoopy-My wife,her sister & husband will be in St.Maarten in November(13th)..we've been 5-6 times,but they never have.We will be in Port (RCI) FROM 9 am-6 pm..I would like to take them to Orient beach,then to Maho Beach(I know planes start coming in after 1),then back to Phippsburg to do some shopping (or maybe shopping first so we can send liquor to ship)....I've tried Norush Tours (busy that day) and some of the others (Joyce Prince,Bernard) do 3 hour set tours..I want mine customized to those 3 things...someone here on CC suggested a taxi driver and just find out what he would charge for going to both beaches and drop off in town...any suggestions?

Big Al

NCJean - Is this the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon, Bahamas? If so, then I did that one a few years ago. I believe the instructor was in the water at all times. We were given careful instructions beforehand in how to pet a dolphin...don't go near the blowhole, don't go below the dorsal fin area b/c they are very sexual and apparently the only mammals besides humans that will mate just for fun. :D They will have you shake the dolphin's fin, dance w/ him and have the dolphin give you a kiss! It was one of coolest things I've ever done and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It is rather daunting having this large animal bobbing in the water in front of you and coming at you with that bottlenose, but I never, ever felt unsafe at any time.

Go for it - it's a blast!

Archived