Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

Seems you are right. No help here. I may start a new thread. Keep an eye out for it. It will be titled similar "St Maarten Help". We are going for a week soon and have also been there on a cruise. I'll help where I can.

For all recent questions:

Dawn beach in closer than Orient Beach - but only a mile or so closer. I suspect the taxis go by Dawn beach to go a bit further up to Orient. For the families I suppose it is a matter of if you are in to au natural. Orient beach has varying degrees of nudity. Someone will get an eye full. Dawn Beach has some snorkeling up at the left end near Oyster Bay Beach Resort (where we are staying 1-8 April). And as for food. Dawn beach does have at least one beach bar and grill. It is Mr Busby's! Food is priced moderatley. I believe there is another place as well. I also believe beach chairs are available for a fee. I hope this has help a few. Keep an eye out for my new thread. I'll start it in a day or two. For now - off to work so I can afford my vacations.

I'll be full of info after our full week on the island!

:o

Please help!

We will be arriving by ship on April 12, 2006. Are there car rentals at the pier?

How difficult is it to drive around the island? We would like to visit Maho and Orient Beach. Thanks for your info. .........Source

Ms Snoopy,

have you or anyone you know ever been to "Indulgences by the Sea" at Divi Little Bay resort? A friend & I are contemplating it as an alternative to the shipboard spa; we're not all that big on beaches or shopping, and St Maarten is our longest port stop, so we thought it might be a good way to go...

thx

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We will be on the Princess Caribbean and will be visiting St. Martin in mid May (16th) I think. I have read some of these posts and have found some good suggestions.

If there is only one place (other than the beach), what or where would it be? Do you know if any of the jewelers sell Chanel Camelia watches?

Any other suggestions for "must sees"? This is our first cruise and we haven't ever been to St. Martin.

There's been a lot of suggestions as far as restaurants and beaches in regards to St. Maarten. My wife and i are from Florida so the beach is not that big a deal for us. We may end up going if there isn't anything else more exciting to do which kind of leads me to the question. What are the real Hi-Lites of St. Maarten? If we only have this one 8 hour visit there what are the best things to do or see? (we have tons of restaurants in Florida and a smorgasboard of beaches from the keys to the panhandle, gulf coast-atlantic- those from Florida are familiar with what i mean)

We were in St. Maarten on Wednesday and wouldn't you know it, it rained most of the day. After I obsessed and did all kinds of research on beaches, we ended up shopping all day running in and out of the raindrops. I have a question for anyone familiar with Front St. What is the name of the Catholic Church on Front St? We stopped there and I don't remember the name.

<snip>

I have a question for anyone familiar with Front St. What is the name of the Catholic Church on Front St? We stopped there and I don't remember the name.

I believe it's just what you would expect; St. Martin of Tours.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we do Maho Beach, Mullet Bay, Orient Beach, a good place for lunch and good shopping all in one day? I think we arrive in Phillipsburg at 7:00am on the Caribbean Princess and depart at 4:30pm. DH definitely wants to be at Maho Beach to see those planes come in!!

In what order would you do all of this?

Last post sounds good to me. That's about what I want to fit in too, except mullet bay (dont really know anything about it). Why should i want to go to mullet bay...what's there? Planning on renting a car and want to know how to fit all of this in as well. Aboard carribbean princess in late august

SNOOPY_LEOGIRL,

We arrive in St. Maarten on Weds 10/5 at 8:00 AM. We are planning on grabbing a taxi and heading to Divi Resort. It is my understanding that there are also pools at this resort, do you know if they can be used by cruise vistors? How long of a taxi ride is it from the port to Divi? Trying to manage my time, since we are venturing out on our own and not with a ship excursion (never done this before!). Thanks SO much for all you wonderful advice about St. Maarten! :D

DIVI is only 10-12 minutes away from the pier. There are pools in the resort but usage is usually restricted to resort guests only HOWEVER, on many occasions we have been lucky to still have access to the pools. Just make sure you eat there and since you are tourists, they assume that you are from the resort so I doubt they will stop you from using their pools but if they do, then you can use their beach. I think that chairs cost $5 fore renting though.

Hello, I hope your dad is doing better. We will be visiting for only one day from a cruise with three children ages, 4,8 and 10. What do you suggest we do with kids. Thank you for all the wonderful information.

For kids:

I hear that butterfly farm is really popular with kids. Its a nice place which attracts mainly kids of all ages. If you like the beach, we have DIVI which is a very kid friendly place as opposed to Orient Beach (where there is quite a bit of nude bathing). Also, if you're kids like planes, go to Maho near Sunset Beach Bar where huge planes land (popular landing/take-off time is 1-3pm) And if you like to shop, visit the ever reliable shopping mecca of Front Street.

First off I would like to thank you for all your time and valuable information! I have read through all of the posts and Little Divi Bay sounds like the beach for me, a couple of questions though one are there showers there to wash off the salt? and also is this beach located on the French or Dutch side? Thanks for your help:)

DIVI is on the Dutch Side overlooking the Caribbean Sea. There are sufficient showers to wash off the salt water, no worries. :D

Hi Snoopy _ leogirl.

Have you heard of Nasa Car rentals. They also rent ATV's. It is near the pier. I was wondering if you knew anything about the company, or know of anybody that may have rented an ATV from them. Thanks for any info you can give me on this question and thanks for all the helpful info you have given thus far.

Sorry, I have not heard about that company but then again I don't know about excursions and rentals here. But any company near the pier should be reliable and reputed enough.

Snoopy, Thanks for all the info you have provided for everyone. Could you please tell me if the Gucci store that sells all the purses and things is still doing business. I think my DW has bought every item in that store and wants to find out if there is anything left. Thanks BIG RAY

I know that the Gucci store closed down years ago...I think they replaced it with a clothing store named Maleona's.

Thanks for that information! So this beach is it on the Dutch side? Also since its a resort is there a fee to use this resort? Can you use the water sports/washrooms etc.....are there restaurants there? bar? Thanks for your help!

It is on the DUtch Side, no fee for use. You can use the restrooms and watersports, no problem but you have to pay for watersports. Also, there are several restaurants in the resort.

Hi Snoopy LeoGirl. I will be in St. Martin and would like buy my wife perfume and wondered if you could tell me in which store I can get the best value for perfume. Thank You...Fred C

I always go to Lipstick next to Polo Ralph Lauren but you will find other perfume stores around that (may) be cheaper. I am not too sure but Lipstick has a great variety and prices are cheaper than US retail prices I think.

Just wondering, does this beach have any nudity? Would like to take my son but dont want to be exposed to nudity. And..as a cruise ship passenger, is there any problem getting to this beach as it seems to be part of a private resort. thank you

Snoopy Leogirl

I just found this post and do not have time to read all 25 or more pages. From what I have read you recommend Divi Little Bay. I have another post asking for the best beach. My choices were originally, Little Bay(same as Divi?), Mullet,Dawn. Some others mentioned Pinel and Galion. I want a beach that is has calm water. Maybe a place to rent snorkel equip. Food and drinks. I don't care if it is crowded . I like calm waters, not waves. The few times I have been to Orient, the water was rough so I wanted to try a different beach this time. Is Divi still what you would suggest for what I want?

Last post sounds good to me. That's about what I want to fit in too, except mullet bay (dont really know anything about it). Why should i want to go to mullet bay...what's there? Planning on renting a car and want to know how to fit all of this in as well. Aboard carribbean princess in late august

What sailing will you be on? We're on the 8/19 sailing!

EVERT-We'll be there at the same time! Is Mullet beach supposed to be a nice beach? I've heard about most of the others but not Mullet.

Just how good is this shopping? I am all about shopping, but I just figured it was like any other port with mostly just souvenir type stuff. Now that I've read a little more on this thread I'm getting kind of excited. Our day might just turn into more shopping..less beach.

Archived