Panama Canal on Coral: Port or Starboard Balcony?

Conanc

We used our balcony very little.

Went to the front of the ship to photo going through Canal. Went very early and picked our spot so it turned out to be better than the "secret deck" everyone talks about at the front of the Aloha deck. Have photos from both decks and like the ones from the public deck better. Ones I've seen from the Aloha or Baja "hidden decks" seem to have a lot of the boat's stern (Is that the correct term?) in them whereas the deck where everyone else was, we were able to shoot over their heads and focus on actual canal... gates, mules, other ships, busses crosses the canal, etc.

Went to the aft Baja balcony for other shots like the gate closing behind the ship and other boats entering behind the Coral. Liked the aft balcony because you could move from side to side to pick your shots. Things to see on both sides of the boat.

We were only on our own balcony for about half an hour midway through the passage.

Now, if you stay aboard and don't do an excursion, and just sit on your balcony, it wouldn't matter either side, I suppose. You'll see one side of the canal going in and the other coming out.

Should we book a port or a starboard balcony cabin for a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess? Thank you!!!

Does it really matter? you are going to see the canal from either side going in or coming out.....

We were on the Coral on the Starboard side. We did use our balcony a lot during the trip through the canal. We started with a continental breakfast and kept the coffee and tea coming for a while. Of course, added a little Baileys Irish Cream along the way. The Dolphin aft deck was great for watching the gates close also. About the only thing we missed was looking out the front of the ship and seeing the entire canal in front. Having said that, if you enjoy a balcony, don't think the side matters. If you don't then hit the public places. Coral is a great ship.

Since which set of locks the ship takes (there are two) is not assigned until she arrives there is no way for you to plan in advance. They use this very up-to-date sophisticated system of a BIG GREEN ARROW at the at the entry way and which ever way it is pointing the ship goes. There is no guarantee that if going in she uses set of locks that she will use the other on the way out. If you are on the outside (not facing the other set of locks) from your balcony you will still be able to see the mule and lock operations of the set of locks you are using. What you would miss is watching the works of the other set of locks. If that occurs going up on deck to watch is in order and you should have no trouble is finding a spot to view that.

We do though always book on the port side when sailing out of Fort Lauderdale just to enjoy the Bon Voyage antics the homes and condos along the inlet out to sea provide.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I figured it wouldn't matter going thru the canal, but I guess I was wondering if anything interesting happens once the ship is in port, or as it arrives into port. I seem to remember reading about dancers in Panama, Costa Rica, etc. When we docked in Nova Scotia we had a portside balcony and were treated to dancers and bagpipes, etc. It was fun to watch.

Thanks again!

It's really 'the luck of the draw' which is the 'better' side to be on in the canal. On our trip, our side was on the 'inside' both entering and leaving the locks.

You'll want to move around a bit, no matter what. If you want to see the mules working, you can stand on the prom deck if your side of the ship is not on that side. Be sure to go all the way forward for awhile, too.

I think being at the front of the ship as you enter the canal is almost a "must". The two guys in the rowboat who come to get the ropes to tie to the mules are unbelievable. I thought the commentary on how they have tried other ways to secure the ships to the mules was interesting but watching these guys do their job was extraordinary.

The only problem with this is that when the ship initially goes through the Gatun locks it anchors in the lake. Passengers on excursions tender to shore. The ship exits back through the locks and docks outside of Colon. The passengers on tours meet the ship back at Colon and do not take the ship the second time through the locks.

As said in another posts it is a luck of the draw regarding which side you traverse the locks. The last cruise on the Coral we were on the Port side and were looking at the parallel lock from our balcony as a huge freighter was one lock ahead of us. This meant for some great pictures as we were entering a lock and seeing the other ship in the next lock much higher than us,

Does it really matter? you are going to see the canal from either side going in or coming out.....

On our 2 trips through the Canal I started out on the bow. It is so much fun to see the rowboat come out with the ropes. On the Coral, I actually liked being on the Dolphin Deck aft for pics of the locks. No one there and you are so close to the water. Amazing. We also spent quite a bit of time on our balcony. I even got to see tarpon jumping out of the water.....nope, not quick enough for a photo op!!!!

Check out my pics by clicking on the link below, there is a whole gallery of pics through the canal, beginning to end.

Enjoy, Denise

On our 2 trips through the Canal I started out on the bow. It is so much fun to see the rowboat come out with the ropes. On the Coral, I actually liked being on the Dolphin Deck aft for pics of the locks. No one there and you are so close to the water. Amazing. We also spent quite a bit of time on our balcony. I even got to see tarpon jumping out of the water.....nope, not quick enough for a photo op!!!!

Check out my pics by clicking on the link below, there is a whole gallery of pics through the canal, beginning to end.

Enjoy, Denise

Thanks for sharing your photo gallery - Nothing less than spectacular! I have bookmarked it to share with DH.

Any hints for us since you are a two timer? (Canal Trip's that is!:p )

We will be doing the canal next April on the Sun - 17 days. Your pics have re-inspired me!

Thanks for sharing - you are a master photographer!:)

Denise...thank you SOOOO much for the wonderful photos!

We're booked on the Coral next April to take a close look at one end of the 'big ditch' and your photos have made me more excited than I was before. Can't wait now!!

Thanks again.

Tom and Deb:)

I am so happy that I am able to share these photos with other cruisers!! I was not excited about our first trip through the canal. To me it was a way to get from SF to NY!! But once I got on the bow of the ship, you couldn't tear me away.

The only suggestions I have, is don't tie yourself down if you want to really see the entry to the locks and how it all operates. I was on the bow of the ships at least one hour before we got to the first locks. Then I was everywhere as you can tell my the pics. Once again going aft gives you an amazing view of the locks closing.

The balcony breakfast isn't for me on Canal day ;-)) I would feel totally trapped!! Both times we have shared a bottle of bubbly with my sister and BIL as we sat in Gatun Lake.

If you are going West to East make sure you are on the Starboard side when you pass the Visitor's Center. It is so cool to hear all the people welcoming you to their country. Also don't miss the gorgeous earth colors right past the Continental Divide also Starboard. I missed this beauty the first trip through. The Bridge of the Americas is stunning West to East because you have the morning light!!

Hope all this helps and visit my galleries anytime. There are lots of pics of everything. Photography is my passion and cruising fuels it!!

Cheers, Denise

as for those dancers in the building in Colon...don't waste your time...not something that is a must see...in fact...I think it is a shame to parade those people like that!! They should stay in their village & not be used by the cruise lines!!!

I agree, going to the Canal it does not matter which side of the ship you are on. It is a fascinating experience. Be sure to be on the deck early so you can see the approach, the arrow, the guys in the rowboat, and enjoy the mules. I spent the entire morning on the bow of the ship then moved around. Never did sit much on my balcony for the Canal, it was way too boring there compared to being on the decks. What was interesting from my balcony was seeing how little "wiggle room" there is for the ship when passing through the Canal. Had a great cruise and its a great size ship for taking a longer cruise.

Can you repost the link to the photos? My screen did not show it and now I am curious. We are doinng the Coral on the New Year's Eve cruise and can't wait! Thanks/

I didn't see any other pics posted so I am assuming you meant mine. If so, here is the link to the Canal pics: http://www.pbase.com/dchip/from_the_atlantic_to_the_pacific

If you want to see the whole cruise and ship pics you can access them from the canal gallery.

Enjoy your cruise, it is big fun, Denise

Archived