Kahului rental car sites?

zubee23

Okay, after a search I did find the airport code for Kahului (OGG) but I'm still unsure where I'll be picking the car up? At the airport? How far is this from the port? I'm not a real confident driver so I like to know as much as possible ahead of time - keeps my hypertension under control!

Also, which rental car outfit is the easiest to get to and drop off. We'll be a group of nervous nellies!! Any info about the process is helpful!

Thank yuo!

Okay, after a search I did find the airport code for Kahului (OGG) but I'm still unsure where I'll be picking the car up? At the airport? How far is this from the port? I'm not a real confident driver so I like to know as much as possible ahead of time - keeps my hypertension under control!

Also, which rental car outfit is the easiest to get to and drop off. We'll be a group of nervous nellies!! Any info about the process is helpful!

Thank yuo!

All the major rental car companies have free shuttles that pick you up right at the pier and take you to get your rental car. We used Thrifty which is located near the airport as they had the best rate that we found. We are Blue Chip members (free and done online) so there was no paperwork and a shorter wait. Thrifty also has great maps that they give you at each port. We used this website for the best prices we found.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Relax! You are going to have a FABULOUS time in Hawaii!!!!! It is AWESOME!!

All the major rental car companies have free shuttles that pick you up right at the pier and take you to get your rental car. We used Thrifty which is located near the airport as they had the best rate that we found. We are Blue Chip members (free and done online) so there was no paperwork and a shorter wait. Thrifty also has great maps that they give you at each port. We used this website for the best prices we found.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Relax! You are going to have a FABULOUS time in Hawaii!!!!! It is AWESOME!!

the west maui airport rental is closest to the pier, they pick up in Lahaina & take you to the place. OGG airport is tooo far

If you are docking at Kahului then follow my advice. If you are tendering in Lahaina that is a different story. We were on the Pride of America in June and the OGG airport was just a few miles away from the Kahului port and all the car rental shuttles were right there to pick up.

Zubbee, you confuse me. Are you flying to Maui and picking up your cruise? Or are you sailing to Maui and docking or tendering there?

If it's flying, then all the rental car agencies are at the Kahului airport and their shuttles will take you to sign in and get your car. Hmm, that doesn't makes sense, because why would you want to rent a car to go to your ship?:confused:

If you're docking in Kahului--and this would be on an NCL ship--then as one poster said, the rental car company will pick you up and take you to OGG (the airport) to get your car. You are then free to enjoy Maui.

If you are arriving in Lahaina and tendering in (the only way, as there is no dock for anything other than small boats), then the rental car company will have a van waiting in front of the old Lahaina court house (where you step ashore) and take you about five miles to the rental car offices, which are just the other side of Kaanapali beach where many of the big hotels are located.

FYI, practically everybody except NCL, which has regular island service, anchors of Lahaina.

BTW, as airport signs go (LAX for Los Angeles, ORD for Chicago, etc), Kahului is OGG because it's named after the first pilot of Hawaiian Airlines whose name was Hogg (you can't use for than three letters and I guess other combinations were taken). Put that in your trivia file!:)

And enjoy your cruise and Maui visit.

Aloha

We used Enterprise in Kahului last October. We were on Carnival Spirit We called them as we exited the ship and they were there in minutes. Their office is closer to the pier than the airport location. Also, there were lots of people waiting for the Hertz, Thrifty, etc. shuttles, but we and another couple were the only Enterprise renters. Made our car check out time very fast, and we were on the road to Hana probably before most people reached the head of the line at the airport rental counters. Good Luck and enjoy Maui.

the west maui airport rental is closest to the pier, they pick up in Lahaina & take you to the place. OGG airport is tooo far

That is true, but only if your ship tenders at Lahaina. Then you need to do West Maui Airport (also referred to sometimes as Kapalua) because none of the companies shuttle from Lahaina to Kahului (which is across the island and about 1 hour away).

However, if you are docked at Kahului, then (as others have mentioned) you would naturally rent at the OGG (Kahului) airport locations (also as mentioned a short shuttle ride away from the pier).

There does seem to be some confusion from time to time. That's why we need to know which side of the island your ship will be. Lahaina and Kahului are (in essence, not distance) to Maui as Kona and Hilo are to the BI. I think it's best not to assume one way or the other, and make sure we know for sure where the particular ship will be.

beachchick

Thanks for all the info! We are on the 9/25 PoH sailing, and our cruise is different in that we dock one day at Kahului and then change sides to Lahaina the next day, and we were completely stumped on where to rent a car in Lahaina!

In Lahaina, is there a "best" rental car company to choose?

Susan

I really don't know that I'd say one company is "best" on the Lahaina side. Almost all of them are right by the West Maui Airport. (Seems to me I've seen a "row" of them on one of the side roads.) Many of the major companies have locations there. It's about a 10 minute shuttle ride up the coast from Lahaina. There are no major companies with locations actually in Lahaina, but I believe there are a few independent rental places, but I know nothing about them.

beachchick

Thanks to all! We're on NCL's Wind 9/17 repo cruise from Vancouver to Maui, Big Island & Oahu. We stop at both Lahaina and Kahului - also Hilo and Kona before ending in Honolulu. I booked Haleakelala Crater as a shore excursion from Lahaina and thought we'd do the car rental from Kahului. I know myself so well - I'll be stressing about getting the car rental back in time! We don't leave Kahului until 10 PM so I figure I won't have to double up on the hypertension meds. BTW, this is my 25th anniversary celebration minus my husband! He wouldn't travel all the way to Hawaii - too far, too much whining- so I asked my 23 y/o daughter to join me. She graciously agrreed to come with me before I offered to pay

Two more weeks!

Thanks to all! We're on NCL's Wind 9/17 repo cruise from Vancouver to Maui, Big Island & Oahu. We stop at both Lahaina and Kahului - also Hilo and Kona before ending in Honolulu. I booked Haleakelala Crater as a shore excursion from Lahaina and thought we'd do the car rental from Kahului. I know myself so well - I'll be stressing about getting the car rental back in time! We don't leave Kahului until 10 PM so I figure I won't have to double up on the hypertension meds. BTW, this is my 25th anniversary celebration minus my husband! He wouldn't travel all the way to Hawaii - too far, too much whining- so I asked my 23 y/o daughter to join me. She graciously agrreed to come with me before I offered to pay

Two more weeks!

That sounds like a great plan! :) Too bad your husband won't accompany you, but I'm guessing you'll have a better time than he will!!

I really don't know that I'd say one company is "best" on the Lahaina side. Almost all of them are right by the West Maui Airport. (Seems to me I've seen a "row" of them on one of the side roads.) Many of the major companies have locations there. It's about a 10 minute shuttle ride up the coast from Lahaina. There are no major companies with locations actually in Lahaina, but I believe there are a few independent rental places, but I know nothing about them.

beachchick

Beachchick--Thanks so much!! That's exactly what I wanted to know! We were having a hard time finding anyone who was "in" Lahaina and apparently that's why--we needed to look at West Maui airport! I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't like Kona where there was one clear "winner" for rental cars.

Susan

Looks like you've already come up with a good plan, but just for further information, when our ship is anchored for Lahaina we use Enterprise. It is located at the Sheraton Hotel in Kaanapali and that is where the beach with the Black? Rock and good snorkeling is. So, we just plan on getting back there early, enjoying the beach if we have extra time, and then taking their shuttle back to the tender dock.

Archived