I Tried Carnival, But I'm Back For Good!!!

Speak for yourself.

Ditto!

I can't speak to RCL yet (but will be able to in 2 weeks...) but I tried Princess and FAR PREFERRED CCL over Princess. Never been so nickel and dimed in my entire life! Not too mention I thought it was tacky that the crew caroused with the "female" passengers in the bars and lounges.

How much would that stink to be hitting on a single woman and have a hot, young, ship officer with that irresistable accent come up and steal her away from you!? He he he. :rolleyes:

Okay, that sounded really fruity but I saw it happen!

We perfer Royal Carribbean, but we went on the Carnival Conquest last year and it was fabulous! Better than the Grand Princess when it was new. Now we have sailed on some older ships on RC and they do not compare to the Conquest--but we also sailed on the Sensation when it was new-- and we had the worst service, worst food--if we could find any, and the staff was just plain rude. I think we went when it was too new and no one knew what they were doing. We vowed never to go on Carnival again--but then had this opportunity for the Conquest and it was great! I think you have to compare the class of the ships-- and compare those of equal classes to get a good idea. Some Carnival ships are better than some RC ships. It all comes down to -- you get what you pay for. We do like Royal Caribbean better--just because we like the atmosphere, but you must also compare 7 day cruises to shorter cruises. We did some shorter RC cruises--and you get a lot of the tatoo'ed gross people on there. Given the choice-- I would recommend a 4.5 star 7 day RC before I would recommend the same on Carnival. But if you start mixing-- some are better than others on both cruise lines.

I didn't care for the Sovereign that much a few years back. Just was too old, not a good gym, not enough entertainment for us. But I thought the Sensation was the absolute pits. I couldn't wait to get off that ship. The "Sensation" Blvd had all these bars and the air was blue with smoke. There were more tattoos on women than men. All that purple and orangs...I hated the cold metal seats up in the buffet. The food was okay, but all those purple neon lights in the dining room! But decor aside, people were smoking everywhere including non-smoking sections and nothing was done about it. Even trying to disembark, they stood in the lobbies by elevators puffing away. I came home with a bad case of bronchitis. Best short cruise is the Enchantment, try it!

I must say that fans of Carnival hardly ever try other lines and state..."tried RCCL and we are Carnies at heart!"

I notice "tried Carnival and we are *** at heart" far more.

That being said, the envioment you are in is very much what you make of it. About to leave for a cruise?...an evening prior seminar for work will drag along and be the worst seminar ever! About to get a root canal?...an evening prior seminar for work will be over far too soon!

Expect to see partiers and rude people...you will find them.

A cheaper price, a reputation for partying, and neon does not help the situation though! :p

we just booked a 4 night cruise (Mon-Fri) with Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas to Bahamas. We are already wondering what the crowd will be like. We normally sail 7 night cruises.

Herb, we just did Sovereign for the Mon-Fri cruise to the Bahamas--very similar to Majesty's itinerary except no Key West--it was the week before most schools started, so there were quite a few kids on board, but even with that, it was still GREAT. I agree with the earlier comment that most people don't take off through the week to party. Some other friends sailed Majesty at the end of July '06, and they couldn't stop talking about it--they aren't big party-ers either...I think you will be pleasantly surprised! Get ready to have a great time! :)

It all boils down to different strokes.....

If you like A better than B, fine. Maybe I like B better than A. Fine.

Maybe someone else likes A and B and doesn't like us. Fine.

Expressing an opinion based on your experiences is cool. That's what this board is all about. But please save the condescending attitude. We're not in competition here.

If we all liked living in the same place, the neighborhood would be mighty crowded.

Been on both enough times to notice a difference between the two. While both offer a good product IMHO RCI fits my needs better and gives me an overall MUCH better cruise product than Carnival ever did.

On Carnival I found the crew to be less than friendly on most sailings. It wasn't always this way but on my last four or five cruises with them I found that the crew to be less than what I had experienced in the past. I also find that Carnival does not do a good job in keeping the ships clean and lack in the area of upkeep.

The last straw with Carnival came when I tried RCI and noticed how well they took care of past guests. At that time Carnival could have cared less if I was a first time cruiser or a ten time cruiser. They have now implemented a past guest program but it still is not up to par with RCI and it is a little too late to get me back. I just don't get excited thinking about a cruise on Carnival anymore. I grew tired of the Joe Farcus school of design on their ships.

Aren't we lucky that we still have choices to choose from? If all of the lines were the same then it would be pretty boring. Find the one that meets your needs and go with it.:)

That's a pretty arrogant thing to say.

Maybe the "Carnival loyalists" don't like stuffed shirt attitudes and noses in the air that appear on "other cruise lines.":rolleyes:

I may be an "inexperienced cruiser" but I know service and accomodations when I experience them. Motel 6 to the Waldorf. More US states than I can count and 7 foreign countries traveled to.

Perhaps, also, they are not as inexperienced as one might think. Perhaps they simply choose not to rub how many cruises they've taken in everyone else's nose.

Perhaps RCCL will be better. Perhaps not.

I have also read many comments on the cruise boards from folks that have only cruised one line and then turn around and say "I would never cruise another line as this one is so good why should I try another one"? How can a person know if another line is good or not if they stay with one line? I have read more comments like that over on the Carnival board than any other board on Cruise Critic.

Also stating how many cruises one took is not rubbing it in anyones nose. I think that some folks on the boards need to grow their skin a little thicker and quit taking things so personally.;)

I may be an "inexperienced cruiser" but I know service and accomodations when I experience them. Motel 6 to the Waldorf.

Strange you say that.

I found the stateroom, including the bathroom and balcony, and the pityful thing they call beds, to be very Motel 6ish on RCL, while the rest of the ship was magnificent.

Just still not sure why there are such opposite sides of the spectrum on one ship.

But it's not stopping me from sailing them again. The overall experience was very rewarding.

less of the people i rather not see.......... the tatoo'd and pierced to the max people,

i dont begrudge anyone doing the things i mentioned............i had just rather not be around it personally

Then why make such a statement? A person's tattoos won't kill you like your second hand smoke will.

The old adage holds true here, "don't judge a book by its cover". I have several tattoos and pierced ear. I well educated and own my own business and you will jsut as likely see me on RCI as you will Carnival.

Then why make such a statement? A person's tattoos won't kill you like your second hand smoke will.

The old adage holds true here, "don't judge a book by its cover". I have several tattoos and pierced ear. I well educated and own my own business and you will jsut as likely see me on RCI as you will Carnival.

True dat! :D

Also stating how many cruises one took is not rubbing it in anyones nose. I think that some folks on the boards need to grow their skin a little thicker and quit taking things so personally.;)

I also think some folks need to recognize tounge in cheek when they see it.;)

First of all, I think people take things way too personally and I don't think anyone was trying to insult anyone or be ignorant to anyone with their comments.

I have cruised Celebrity, RCL, and Cunard. I am back on RCL this coming Sunday and will try Princess in November. I have never been on Carnival, I'm not sure the level of action would go along with what I prefer, a quieter atmosphere. I am sure, however, that they have lots of features that I would quite enjoy and just love.

But I have to say that when aleciajoyful1 (I think that was the poster's name, if not, I apologize) said the Touch of Class bar had HANDS for bar stools, I was cracked up, I think that is funny as hello. I know I have seen those hideous, gawdy hand barstools someplace. I can't remember where but it wasn't on a cruise. Whoever picked those out must have been smokin' something!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :D

This thread is interesting and timely to me as we just returned from the Mariner and (of course!) are now starting to plan our next. We really like RCI as a line although this trip on the Mariner left us strangely lukewarm. We don't consider ourselves die-hards and are more than willing to try something else (we were very pleasantly surprised with NCL last year).

I'm curious about today's Carnival but - call me chicken - am just not sure I'll have the nerve to make the leap. More than any other, RCI cruisers seem to be very critical of this line. Our main priorities are price, itinerary, attentive service and daytime activities for ourselves and our son (9). Right now it's looking like the Diamond Princess to Mexico for us but I'm always open to input.

One thing I must say though is that we've found shoreside service to be uniformly BAD with all cruiselines. Carnival, however contacted me by phone within nanoseconds of my registering on their website and their agent was extremely friendly and actually seemed to know what she was talking about. :rolleyes: Something to think about...

P.S. My first cruise MANY years ago was on the Jubilee. Pretty laughable by today's standards but as a kid from the farm - BOY was I impressed. It's still her that I see in my mind's eye when I day dream about cruising:) .

Happy Sails,

Annette

I must say that fans of Carnival hardly ever try other lines and state..."tried RCCL and we are Carnies at heart!"

I notice "tried Carnival and we are *** at heart" far more.

That being said, the envioment you are in is very much what you make of it. About to leave for a cruise?...an evening prior seminar for work will drag along and be the worst seminar ever! About to get a root canal?...an evening prior seminar for work will be over far too soon!

Expect to see partiers and rude people...you will find them.

A cheaper price, a reputation for partying, and neon does not help the situation though! :p

I must say that I noticed some people mention that posters on this thread were being condesending and such and I went back and reread some posts. After rereading my own....I noticed I misstated something and wanted to set the record straight!

Where I said "Expect to see partiers and rude people...you will find them", I meant to say "Expect to see partiers and rude people...AND you will find them"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was meant to fit in with the whole "your enviornment is what you make of it thing" and I fear it reads as...Carnival has partiers and rude people!

Sorry about that all....

We have cruised many different lines & are determined to overlook the bad and focus on the good. Don't judge people, lest ye be judged. Just be happy that you are able to afford a cruise (and able to enjoy eating....many people aren't able to do that due to finances or disablilities.) Have FUN for heaven's sake.

BTW...I'm not disabled, poor, rich, gay, tatooed, pierced, obese, anorexic, a show-off, and mainly I HOPE I'm never overly judgemental. I'm 63 & just trying to enjoy the rest of my life. Lighten up and enjoy yourselves.

First of all, I think people take things way too personally and I don't think anyone was trying to insult anyone or be ignorant to anyone with their comments.

If you're talking about me, here is my reply (if not, please accept my apologies - but here is my reply anyway)

My skin is quite thick enough. I work in a take no prisoners sector of the financial world. This is playtime and I assure you I take nothing on here personally. Well, except that perhaps I get annoyed with the snooty attitudes some take. That brings out a tendency in me to want to stick a pin in an over-inflated balloon. I think you guys missed the sarcasm and read my posts a little too literally.

However, having said that, I believe that to say that somehow the patrons of 1 cruise line are somehow less sophisticated than those of another smacks of arrogance. And I absolutely do not apologize for calling it what it is.

Let me say finally that if some on here need to stop taking things so personally, then some on here need to quit taking themselves so seriously.:cool:

I think perhaps I shall now retire to the study for a spot tea and a cucumber sandwich. Pip pip and all that you know. Jeeves, bring me a throw to put over my legs. It was quite airish on deck and I've a bit of a chill.

Mithter Pete, my tounge is schtuck and I cand get id loothe.

Where I said "Expect to see partiers and rude people...you will find them", I meant to say "Expect to see partiers and rude people...AND you will find them"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't even catch it. Your explanation was the meaning I took the first reading. And you are correct. Life is what you make of it.

I know this is off topic but...Have you dived on the east coast? We've been friends for 35 years with a guy who has been diving U boats, & dove the Andrea Dorea a couple of times. He doesn't dive as much anymore, but runs a dive boat off of Cape Hatteras, NC. So interesting to hear his stories and see all the relics he has. Good for you! My DH and I are too old and too scared to try it now. (Art made me go into the deep end of our pool with a tank on my back :eek: but that was a laugh). Have fun!

We have cruised many different lines & are determined to overlook the bad and focus on the good. Don't judge people, lest ye be judged. Just be happy that you are able to afford a cruise (and able to enjoy eating....many people aren't able to do that due to finances or disablilities.) Have FUN for heaven's sake.

BTW...I'm not disabled, poor, rich, gay, tatooed, pierced, obese, anorexic, a show-off, and mainly I HOPE I'm never overly judgemental. I'm 63 & just trying to enjoy the rest of my life. Lighten up and enjoy yourselves.

VERY WELL SAID! I would be happpy to cruise (on any line) with you, any day!

Have never dived the east coast. Started diving in freshwater springs in Florida - so cold it made your skin burn when you first got in.

Then graduated to the Caribbean. Puerto Aventuras, MX, Cozumel, MX, and Georgetown, Grand Caymen and a couple of lesser know spots here and there. I absolutely love it. The world disappears when you hit the water......... Sorry, I had to stop and wipe the drool off. For some reason that happens every time I start talking about diving.

Pt Aventuras is so laid back. The dive masters are super cool. They are safe but not so restrictive as in the big tourist areas. You get your money's worth down to the last few breathes as it were. Made several dives that were in the 80 min range.

Coz is well Coz. Greatest diving in the world for the money according to a whole, whole, whole lot of divers. Spectacular wild life in addition to the beautiful coral.

Grand Cayman is just spectacular in its beauty. Stunning walls and only opportunity you will have to see live black coral - have to go down to about 110-115'. Spectacularly clear water when conditions are right.

Man. Just love it. Not gonna dive in HI next month though. Limit it to shore dives with snorkling gear. Lots of turtles I hear.

By the way, you're never too old as long as a doc clears you - good to go.

I'd encourage anyone to give it a try. Go to your local PADI dive shop and enroll in their "bubbles" program. Get the full experience in the pool. End of the day. Good night, all.

Pleasant dives.... I mean dreams.;)

Archived