What can you share about the Mex Riviera?

kendon

Another Left Coaster who thinks the Mexican Riviera is highly over-rated.

I don't care for the area, and no longer bother to get off the ship if it is making a port call there.

There are beaches all over the world that are cleaner with better water....many closer than Mexico. It is dirty and stinks.......and has too much of a reputation of being the place to get drunk......ask the college kids......:)

I think it really depends on your expectations. We went in early April of 2005, Spring Break, as my wife is a teacher. Being from the west coast, I liked the ease in which we were able to travel to LA and we fit in the needed (before our boys outgrow it) stops to Disneyland before and after the cruise.

Our weather in Mexico was very good, sunny, hot, but not too hot, although one of our tour guides in Cabo commented that he was going to be moving to another city in a month or so as it was going to get far too hot.

It took me a little to get over (pre-trip) the lack of decent snorkeling opportunities and the lack of beaches with the clear blue water, but I quickly filled out time with a wonderful tour with Mazatlan Frank (I can not recommend him highly enough) and other outings which ranged in quality.

It goes without saying that it is not the Caribbean, but we enjoyed our time in Mexico and would do it again.

I guess I don't know what to expect weather wise in February. I'm assuming the cruise will start out chilly, and wind up very warm in Mexico.

If you go to the " My Princess" page (you have to sign in with a password), there is an option to click on "weather", which will show you the average highs and lows for your ports, including your departure port.

From what I have read, it is not unusual to be quite cooler leaving and returning to California than your time in Mexico. Leaving LA for us in April was quite warm and smooth sailing. Returning was very windy (no one was in the pools) which really cooled things down. Everything in between was glorious.

We cruised NCL's Star last year and are scheduled on the Diamond in January. It was our first time doing the Mexican Rivera. We really like Las Caletas on Puerto Vallarta and we probably schedule it again. It's private with no vendors. Luckingly, the Diamond will be the only ship in port the day we're there so it won't be crowded. We booked a private kayaking tour in Cabo after hearing the seas can be rough. The kayaking was back in the bays and we did have a good time. The Star went down to Acapulco and didn't include Matzalan, so no info there.

We've been on over 10 cruises to the Caribbean. If you are in to water sports, snorkeling ect, then you may be disappointed in the Mexican Rivera. But then again, it is nice to go somewhere different every now and then.

And, if you were able to get as good as deal as we did for our suite on the Diamond, then just cruising is nice as well.

I have done it twice, end of june , and the begining of July. Both times, encountered cold, stay away from the pool area type weather first and last sea days. To me, that is like two days wasted.

Socal weather is like that. It will look nice on land, but when you get out on the cold ocean, it is always chilly.

FWIW, I used to live in Long Beach, CA and whenever I went sailing, I always bundled up.

MR is also ugly. The water is dark and choppy, and in some areas polluted. I still remember snorkeling in PV and seeing trash (broom handle, diapers, etc).

On top of that, the cruises are more expensive that Carribean cruises. I can fly to a port, cruise the carribean for less than it costs to drive down to CA and cruise MR.

I didn't realize until after I had posted on this thread yesterday that I completely forgot to mention that our 1/25/07 cruise on the Dawn will also call at Ixtapa/Zihuantanejo. We hadn't even heard of this port until booking the cruise and know absolutely nothing about it.

Has anyone on this thread been there? What shore excursions have you done and were they worthwhile? What about beaches?

The port call in Ixtapa/Zihuantanejo is 7:00A - 2:00P following a long, late stop in Acapulco.

TIA for your help.

Chris

I have the opposite opinion ---- we are from the East Coast, but were excited to do the Mexican Riviera because it was a change from the usual Caribbean cruises.

This thread has me in stitches. What is the old saying......."The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"?

We're from the West Coast and did the MR last January and while I loved getting away from the Canadian cold, I said I'd never go back because I still think of the clear, green, warmer Caribbean ocean.

However, now that we just returned from Alaska, DH insists we can't afford to do the Caribbean this winter:( , so now the MR doesn't seem so bad anymore:D. Flights are much cheaper down to LA or San Diego than to Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

Wish me luck in changing DH's mind.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi Kendon!

I just got back from the Mexican Riviera and off the CARNIVAL PRIDE! Love that ship!

While we have to been to the Caribbean several times...I knew this would be different...the ocean water here in Northern Cali is FREEZING and the caribbean as you know is sooo warm. I thought the water was pretty warm....I didnt feel cold at all...of course I believe it was 107 that day in CABO! lol.. Mazatlan water wasnt cold either...

All in all...I enjoyed it. As for shopping...you can HAVE mexico..it's all the same crap in my opinion....foro too much money and I didnt buy but a few tshirts, a couple magnets as always and a hat.

But I would do it again...the Canopy Tour at Los Veranos is a MUST DO! I want my husband and kids to both experience it! We went Sept 24th-Oct.1st. It was hot and humid but Cabo was the worst! BUT, the most beautiful of all the waters!

I could leave Mazatlan but heard the Sierra Madre tour was great....of course till I saw a ladies review on here and she mentioned TONS of scorpions...FORGET IT!

Again, I believe everything depends on time of year! Dont know if i'd do September again....I didnt have a choice as I went with a group who picked the date!

My husband and I generally cruise late April which is usually great weather...we are doing the Western Caribbean this April.

Good luck...hope some of this information helps!!

I didn't realize until after I had posted on this thread yesterday that I completely forgot to mention that our 1/25/07 cruise on the Dawn will also call at Ixtapa/Zihuantanejo. We hadn't even heard of this port until booking the cruise and know absolutely nothing about it.

We have vacationed in Ixtapa a few times and loved it. Zihuantanejo (where the cruise ships come) is a quaint Mexican fishing village.... narrow streets, open air markets, delicious authentic Mexican food, friendly people. A few miles up the road is Ixtapa which is a tourist development with lots of high-rise hotels along the beach and golf courses, but also a lot of delicious restaurants and places to shop.

Archived