Tipping of Maitre'd???

magicnelly

Okay, when we're traveling and dining in nice restaurants, it doesn't hurt to slip the maitre'd a little "something" to get a nicer table...

So, when I go to the dining room on the first day I board to check out my table (for 2), will it help get a better table if I am generous with the matire'd???

Help, someone?

I always tip the MD but do it either half way through the cruise or at the end. Then again, most times I know them.

Not sure if I would feel comfortable handing them money, albeit discreetly, at the very beginning of the cruise. Seems it might be a little insulting, like you don't think you will get the great X service without a bribe. Remember that these people PRIDE themselves on the wonderful service they give.

This is JMO and I am sure there will be others. I only speak for myself.

I have had to request a table change on the day I boarded only twice and both times I simply went to the dining room and politely asked. I never tipped in advance and never had a problem. As far as I can tell, they really do try to accomodate special requests.

We have had both bad service and terrific service on various ships but it has always been the Maitre'd that got the feedback and has always been gracious in every situation. So we always tip the Maitre'd by the interaction he has with us and his passengers. We had one particular Maitre'd on the Grand Princess - Carmelo (big Carmelo) that interacted with every passenger every night! He was the best one we ever had. He is now living in Italy with his family, so we have heard.

Happy Sailing:D

On one of our Celebrity cruises we wanted late seating, but had to take main seating when we booked. After boarding the ship, on the first day, we went to the Maitre 'd who was posted outside the dining room and put in our request to be changed to the later seating - we received a note in our cabin the next day confirming that he had changed us - we did not tip extra when we went to see him - but did take care of him at the end of the cruise. I do believe they do their best to fulfill your requests if at all possible. :)

Because of my wife's food allergy to anything with gluten, we always see the Maitre'd when we first board and they have always been most accomodating (she gets the dinner menu a day in advance so she can pick her choices and most times they can accomodate, they bake gluten-free bread each day and even have "special surprise" desserts at dinner. I always take care of the M'd at the end of our cruise with a generous gratuity and also extol their virtues in our comment cards. It's been one of the reasons we sail on Celebrity at least once or twice a year!

On our first Summit cruise we had a wonderful cruise and a great table and I mentioned to the Maitre'd that we would be sailing again in six months and wished we'd have the same table. He immediately gave me his personal card and email and asked him to email him before our next cruise and he would take care of it. It was wondeful to see him again and of course we tipped him and then . . we requested the same table on the next crusie! It's nice to have friends.

Thanks all for the input!

On a different cruise line the maitre'd did not even acknowledge us on the 20-something days we were on board (back-to-back and then TA). The last RCCL cruise we were on, our matre'd was wonderful! Always checking to make sure all was okay and welcoming us each evening.

This cruise is hubby's special celebration (big 60) and I want to make sure the table reflects it!

Archived