Newbie to Princess converting from Carnival

jack109

IMHO, you will probably have a totally different experience on Princess. A much different group of passengers as opposed to Carnival. A good analogy is Wal-Mart vs Macy's or Nordstrom's. Although there are all age groups, the mantra is not drink until you drop as on most Carnival ships. Most Princess passengers are return passengers as most Princess cruisers are very loyal to the line.

I've been on the Caribbean Princess several times and really enjoy it. Our service has always been great and the food is very good, although there are a few menu nights that I don't care for.

Although the ship is large, it's very easy to learn. I also like the MUTS (Movies Under the Stars). There are many options for swimming if you don't want a lot of noise as they have adult only pools and spas which I really like.

I think you will become a "convert" .

Pretty harsh comments considering that I don't see any Carnival cruises listed for you.

We recently returned from our first Princess cruise........Me...50ish...my teenage sons...18 and 14.... and my parents...77 and 80.

We have been Carnivalfunatics.........Including my parents...It took a lot of talk to convince my parents to try Princess......We really enjoyed our cruise on Princess( the Crown) just like we have enjoyed all our cruises on Carnival......I have never seen drunks on a ship...just people having a lot of fun.

We found the service to be the same............food selection better on Carnival.....layout of Buffet dining to be better on Carnival....Entertainment was great on both........I thought cruise directors on Carnival were a tad better...they were entertainers themselves.........but then again I have only been on one Princess.....

I really could not see "the upscale" that they say Princess is from Carnival...

I would cruise either line.......one thing I did miss on Princess was the dancing waiters....sorry call me corny but I liked that.......

So whatever you chose....enjoy it......

Experience - and it only takes 1 trip. I also live in S. Fl. so I am very familiar with who Carnival markets their products to. I have also been on enough cruises, being in port with Carnival ships, seeing what comes off their gangways.

I have only sailed on Carnival, an no other line. I do not bash any line. I think that you, sypro1952 should take some advice, and not say anything since according to your list in your post, you do not list any Carnival ships. I have sailed 10 times, 11 and 12 this October. I do not drink, do not party hard, or do anything else that you would suggest.

If you don't like Carnival for a specific reason that you experienced, then I am all ears, but bad mothing an enire line when you haven't had an experience of a 7 day is jut poor judgement.

Fine, don't sail Carnival. That leaves more rooms open to those that are willin to try a different line.

This may be strong words, but I would say that you should keep your mouth shut about Carnival until you have sailed a like comparison.

I don't think sailing 7days has all that much to do with it. And I've only done one 7 day cruise in my life. I can tell as soon as I step on a ship, talk to the crew, and see other passengers, exactly what a voyage is going to be like. I did sail on Carnival but it's nothing I'm going to list on a Princess board and it's not an experience I care to recall. I've also sailed on the Homeric, Oceanic, and the original Nieuw Amsterdam and didn't list those either. How the crew is trained, their responsiness to passengers needs, is the primary function of the cruise line, whether a trip is 3 days, 7 days or 7 months. If I had a terrible experience for 3 days, why would I think that 7 days is going to be any better?

I have never heard of anyone meeting Micky Aronson sailing on a Carnival ship but I personally met Peter Radcliff on the Sun Princess, going thru the Panama Canal a few years back.

I have only sailed on Carnival, an no other line. I do not bash any line. I think that you, sypro1952 should take some advice, and not say anything since according to your list in your post, you do not list any Carnival ships. I have sailed 10 times, 11 and 12 this October. I do not drink, do not party hard, or do anything else that you would suggest.

If you don't like Carnival for a specific reason that you experienced, then I am all ears, but bad mothing an enire line when you haven't had an experience of a 7 day is jut poor judgement.

Fine, don't sail Carnival. That leaves more rooms open to those that are willin to try a different line.

This may be strong words, but I would say that you should keep your mouth shut about Carnival until you have sailed a like comparison.

I don't think sailing 7days has all that much to do with it. And I've only done one 7 day cruise in my life. I can tell as soon as I step on a ship, talk to the crew, and see other passengers, exactly what a voyage is going to be like. I did sail on Carnival but it's nothing I'm going to list on a Princess board and it's not an experience I care to recall. I've also sailed on the Homeric, Oceanic, and the original Nieuw Amsterdam and didn't list those either. How the crew is trained, their responsiness to passengers needs, is the primary function of the cruise line, whether a trip is 3 days, 7 days or 7 months. If I had a terrible experience for 3 days, why would I think that 7 days is going to be any better?

I have never heard of anyone meeting Micky Aronson sailing on a Carnival ship but I personally met Peter Radcliff on the Sun Princess, going thru the Panama Canal a few years back.

[QUOTE=tvaud]

Ok, I’ve sailed on Princess, Carnival and NCL as well as a few others. My least favorite cruises were on Carnival. The service, food and décor are far inferior to Princess. I have been shoved aside by a deck steward so he could go down the stairs before me. The dining room waiters never pull out a chair for a female passenger. Once to prove a point, I stood at my table to see how long it would take for a waiter to seat me. I stood there for about ten minutes until the Maitre d’ saw me and ran over to seat me. He said into my ear, “You’ve sailed before.” I said, “Yes, many times.” He came over to seat me for the remainder of the cruise. The waiters never caught on. The worst was when my cabin steward cornered me one day in the cabin and propositioned me. I politely asked him to leave my cabin and immediately reported him to the purser’s desk. By the time I returned to my cabin, another steward, the head cabin steward from another deck, had been assigned to us. The last day of the cruise, the original steward came to the cabin to apologize to me. The food was substandard, in my opinion. The dishes were bland and seemed overproduced as opposed to other ships that I had sailed. As for the décor of the ship, it was all neon and plastic. It had none of the wood, brass and glass of the grander ships afloat. Many of the passengers were clueless to cruising and didn’t know what to expect. Many of the younger ones, and at the time I was about their age, would stay up all night and get drunk…and sick. I did not partake. It was a much rowdier crowd. I always say that people who don’t know any better, cruise Carnival. Once they try another line, they have something to compare it with and move on. When someone asks, I say that Carnival is the “Yugo” of cruise lines. The only reason why I went on a second Carnival cruise was that my group of friends at the time wanted to go on that ship and I was overruled. Basically, I went kicking and screaming. My favorite cruise line was Sitmar. The food, service and ambiance were the best of everything. I will always miss that line.

The Carnival ships you saw 16 years ago are not the same as todays ships. On the one Carnival cruise that I took I do remember the waiter holding the chair, however that wasn't what I would call a highlight of my cruise. I certainly wouldn't have waited ten minutes for someone to come and seat me.

I really don't think sailing 1 ship in a fleet is the mark of the whole cruise line. We have sailed RCI 1 time and if I were to hold the whole line to that cruise I would never go back. The ship was beautiful, the crew did not care at all about anyone. The passengers were either 80 year olds from a nursing home in Virginia,very demanding and rude. Or underage drinkers who could not hold their booze, still puking in the parking lot when leaving the ship. 1 Carnival cruise under our belts and we loved it. Cruised in December and mostly everyone on the ship was around our age, late 50ths. There were no drunks, crew was friendly food was good and a very clean, but flashy ship. The best part was being upgraded from an ov to our first balcony room. We have cruised Disney, taking our grandkids, 7 times. I guess every cruise is compared to this, we have never had a bad cruise. We are booked on our first Princess in December so I am eager to see how this ship compares to the others we have been on. I also think that each person has their own sights set on what is the perfect cruise. I do like a clean ship, friendly crew and fellow travelers who respect the rights of everyone. I have picked the non Disney cruises strictly on ports I want to visit not on anyones advice on cruise lines.

Hi! I too am going on my first Princess cruise (from Carnival) and can you let me know what is extra? It ended up being that we needed to switch ports and ended up on a Princess (which was almost $300 cheaper than the one booked) so we're happy, just not sure what exactly to expect! Thanks!

Chloe

Princess extras........

Ice cream - free for 1 hour in closed section of buffet (why do they hide it?) Ice cream for desert is available in the dining room. Ice cream any other time is an additional charge.

Brewed coffee - horrible syrup coffee is free if you can drink it. Fresh brewed coffee is an additional charge.

Cappuccino/Expresso - an additional charge

Non alcoholic drinks - Only thing to drink is water or ice tea on Princess. If you want Lemonade or Fruit punch it is an additional charge.

Hot Chocolate - an additional charge

MUTS - during the day you must purchase a headset to hear sound. $2.50 I think but it is yours to keep.

All of the above (Carnival doest have MUTS) is included on Carnival.

Ok, I’ve sailed on Princess, Carnival and NCL as well as a few others. My least favorite cruises were on Carnival. The service, food and décor are far inferior to Princess. I have been shoved aside by a deck steward so he could go down the stairs before me. The dining room waiters never pull out a chair for a female passenger. Once to prove a point, I stood at my table to see how long it would take for a waiter to seat me. I stood there for about ten minutes until the Maitre d’ saw me and ran over to seat me. He said into my ear, “You’ve sailed before.” I said, “Yes, many times.” He came over to seat me for the remainder of the cruise. The waiters never caught on. The worst was when my cabin steward cornered me one day in the cabin and propositioned me. I politely asked him to leave my cabin and immediately reported him to the purser’s desk. By the time I returned to my cabin, another steward, the head cabin steward from another deck, had been assigned to us. The last day of the cruise, the original steward came to the cabin to apologize to me. The food was substandard, in my opinion. The dishes were bland and seemed overproduced as opposed to other ships that I had sailed. As for the décor of the ship, it was all neon and plastic. It had none of the wood, brass and glass of the grander ships afloat. Many of the passengers were clueless to cruising and didn’t know what to expect. Many of the younger ones, and at the time I was about their age, would stay up all night and get drunk…and sick. I did not partake. It was a much rowdier crowd. I always say that people who don’t know any better, cruise Carnival. Once they try another line, they have something to compare it with and move on. When someone asks, I say that Carnival is the “Yugo” of cruise lines. The only reason why I went on a second Carnival cruise was that my group of friends at the time wanted to go on that ship and I was overruled. Basically, I went kicking and screaming. My favorite cruise line was Sitmar. The food, service and ambiance were the best of everything. I will always miss that line.

But geesh......it appears by your siggy line that it has been 16 years since you cruised. Everything has changed since then. Don't think it is fair to call Carnival the "Yugo" of cruise lines when you don't have recent experience.

I am trying Princess because, after 9 cruises on Carnival, I have gotten tired of thr crowded ships, dancing waiters, "colors" game and seeing the same shows.

However, Carnival food, once the joke of the industry, is top notch. On the "whatever happened to..." forum of cruise critic, the thread starter listed 24 incecream, midnight buffets, lemonde/punch and watercolor pictures of the ship given out to passengers as things that have disappeared. I found it funny that CCL, the cruiseline that people love to bash, STILL has these things (ok, the pictures are prints)!

Before you say derogatory things about Carnival, it might help to actually CRUISE on them!

Oh, Bob Dickenson does get around on the ships. He even served as a waiter on the Fascination.

Non alcoholic drinks - Only thing to drink is water or ice tea on Princess. If you want Lemonade or Fruit punch it is an additional charge.

(Wow! - It must cost CCL .01 or .02 a cup to do that. What a perk!)

Hot Chocolate - an additional charge (Not in the dining room)

If it so inexpensive for CCL to provide it, why doesn't Princess add it? Seems there are plenty of people who like to have the choices.:confused:

Bill

Yeah, it is indeed a perk to alot of people who don't drink ice tea but want something else besides soda. Since it is so cheap as you say, then Princess should provide it.

I see you just joined. I do hope you learn to help people here and stop the snide attitude.

I personally HATE iced tea so I would like another option. However, I also would not want lemonade or fruit punch...lol...so unless they offer Crystal light I would probably stick with diet soda.

I won't knock any other cruiseline. I am glad that we have choices and a variety of price ranges. I don't think I would choose CCL....but I also would not go on HAL or Crystal. I don't want things to be tooo stuffy or tooo lose....Princess seems to have the right balance. I enjoyed NCL, and would cruise them again, however Princess is still tops in my book. I would also like to take my little guy on a Disney cruise at least once.

I would choose CCL....but I also would not go on HAL or Crystal. I don't want things to be tooo stuffy or tooo lose....Princess seems to have the right balance. I enjoyed NCL, and would cruise them again, however Princess is still tops in my book. I would also like to take my little guy on a Disney cruise at least once.

Try CCL, you might like it. You'll find that the people that have the most bad things to say about CCL have never cruised them!

They have good food, good deli lemonade, punch, soft serve, frozen yogurt, pizza is available 24/7 and their new beds, comforters and pillows are awesome!

I personally HATE iced tea so I would like another option. However, I also would not want lemonade or fruit punch...lol...so unless they offer Crystal light I would probably stick with diet soda.

I won't knock any other cruiseline. I am glad that we have choices and a variety of price ranges. I don't think I would choose CCL....but I also would not go on HAL or Crystal. I don't want things to be tooo stuffy or tooo lose....Princess seems to have the right balance. I enjoyed NCL, and would cruise them again, however Princess is still tops in my book. I would also like to take my little guy on a Disney cruise at least once.

I did see people take their own Crystal Light and used the ice, water, and glasses on the Lido Deck.

It must cost Princess the same, .01 or .02 a cup for Lemonade/Fruit punch. Then why does Princess charge $2.50 a cup. :confused: Quite a mark up.

Wow! Free hot chocolate in the dining room. What a perk! :rolleyes:

The Carnival ships you saw 16 years ago are not the same as todays ships. On the one Carnival cruise that I took I do remember the waiter holding the chair, however that wasn't what I would call a highlight of my cruise. I certainly wouldn't have waited ten minutes for someone to come and seat me.

Ok, but that's what makes us different. That incident was not the only one if you read my post thoroughly. It just added to the negative experience. The Carnival crowd wasn't my cup of tea 20(your math was off) years ago, and it certainly won't be now. That said, those ships are all yours.

But geesh......it appears by your siggy line that it has been 16 years since you cruised. Everything has changed since then. Don't think it is fair to call Carnival the "Yugo" of cruise lines when you don't have recent experience.

That was my opinion based on my two Carnival cruise experiences. I am entitled to it, as you are to yours.

Just don't forget Carnival owns Princess and seven other lines.

I have been on Princess twice and just got back from Alaska on the Diamond Princess and I will never travel on Princess again. The first Princess cruise we took Carnival did not own them then. It was more like a Carnival cruise than before. The way of Carnival is the more the better for them you feel like Cattle on the ships and are treated that way.

I've cruised on both Carnival and Princess several times and I think jennew said it best...Princess has the right balance. The experience is classy, but not snobby and their service and food quality is very consistent.

We've cruised on Carnival again after the first bad experience strictly because of the cheaper price. I kept thinking that I should give them another chance. Maybe it was just that ship, or that crew or those particular passengers. I learned very quickly that I shouldn't expect excellent service or food from them (you get what you pay for).

I'm still amazed when I read that "Carnival's food is the best!". I thought that their food was absolutely horrid and barely edible. Thank god for the burgers at the grill or I would have starved to death. The service was sub-standard and yes, many of the passengers were very rowdy and obnoxious, much more so that I have every seen on a Princess ship. None of the rules were enforced whether it be in the dining room (on formal night people were wearing cut-off shorts, tank tops, swimsuits and baseball caps) or in the adults-only swimming pool (a woman had her baby in the pool, diaper and all...I complained only to have the crew member shrug their shoulders at me and walk away).

I think we've finally decided that even if the price is dirt cheap, we're still not going to sail with Carnival again. There were far too many things wrong each time and even though I didn't let it ruin my vacation, it was a struggle to enjoy it. I think from now on we'll just pay the higher price with Princess and ensure that we'll have a wonderful vacation.

Please keep in mind that I am just expressing my opinion, not 'bashing' a cruise line. All are welcome to disagree......again, just an opinion.

Experience - and it only takes 1 trip. I also live in S. Fl. so I am very familiar with who Carnival markets their products to. I have also been on enough cruises, being in port with Carnival ships, seeing what comes off their gangways.

I couldn't agree with you more on this point!

Archived