I know this may not be the place to ask

newbie2468

I know that this may not be the place to ask, however, I am cruising on the Crown next March and I have never cruised before so I am not familiar with the layout,etc of the ship. My question is:

How in the world does one "fall overboard" accidentally? I thought that the railings were relatively tall. Other than climb and hang off, isn't it tough to fall? I am somewhat paranoid about heights and now I am worried that I will have to "cling to the insides of the ship" as I walk along the promanade (looking pretty silly, huh) Or is it just crazy people reenacting "Titanic" and leaning over the edge? I just had to ask and I am sorry that I put it on this site, but I figured those who have cruised Princess could answer my questions..

Thanks again !

Exactly. I've seen waaaay too many stupid people who think they can't get hurt by doing dumb things. I have serious issues with heights and I feel comfortable standing next to the rail. But like others have said, don't climb on it, don't lean over it to take a picture of the water better, don't try to climb onto the washing unit "to get a good picture" and don't swing onto the next balcony! I can't believe people have done such stupid things and wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. And if you DO see it...REPORT IT IMMEDITATELY!

The ships are huge. If you will look at some of the pictures people have posted on here you will see just how high the railings are. In order to fall overboard you would have to climb up on something. Also, on the Promenade deck you will see "gates" where one would get into the lifeboat if it were lowered. Always be sure if you stand there that the gate is locked shut.

IMO anyone who has fallen off these ships had to have climbed up and jumped off.

I was on the ship when the woman "fell overboard" on the Voyager in July . It was very upsetting and it was not foul play or anybodys fault except the woman who jumped .

Was this the one of the coast of Italy? Never heard too much more about that, except that foul play was not suspected. Was it ultimately learned that she jumped? Very sad.

To the OP, unless you're insanely drunk, just really dumb and taking stupid risks or suicidal, it would be very difficult to fall overboard. It's no different than a few years ago when kids were falling off hotel balconys in Florida trying to climb between rooms, up the side of the building, etc.

Was this the one of the coast of Italy? Never heard too much more about that, except that foul play was not suspected. Was it ultimately learned that she jumped? Very sad.

To the OP, unless you're insanely drunk, just really dumb and taking stupid risks or suicidal, it would be very difficult to fall overboard. It's no different than a few years ago when kids were falling off hotel balconys in Florida trying to climb between rooms, up the side of the building, etc.

Rumor and I want to stress it is just that . No one knows for sure except for the coroner and now her family . The claim is the young woman was drunk and or on drugs when she jumped . No foul play involved and the family thanked RCCL for all their help . They are an affluent family from the US who were staying in one of the suites . Just goes to show money can't solve all your problems . I am sure this family would give up everything they have to have their daughter back .

The ships are huge. If you will look at some of the pictures people have posted on here you will see just how high the railings are. In order to fall overboard you would have to climb up on something. Also, on the Promenade deck you will see "gates" where one would get into the lifeboat if it were lowered. Always be sure if you stand there that the gate is locked shut.

IMO anyone who has fallen off these ships had to have climbed up and jumped off.

I stay away from the gates, they just don't make me feel comfortable (not that they are unsafe, it's just me), but the railings are too high to just go over if you are standing on the deck.

Tory, I am VERY afraid of heights but have been OK on cruise ships. The only area I have any problem with is stairs that are up on the open decks, I have to take those slow because the stairs are "open." I'm weird that way though - I had a problem climbing down the steps of the Key West lighthouse, I held up the line! LOL You'll do fine. :)

Tory, I am VERY afraid of heights but have been OK on cruise ships. The only area I have any problem with is stairs that are up on the open decks, I have to take those slow because the stairs are "open." I'm weird that way though - I had a problem climbing down the steps of the Key West lighthouse, I held up the line! LOL You'll do fine. :)

Thanks for all the information... It puts my mind at ease.. I just have always had a fear/panic when I am close to the edge of something high up. I will be sure to stay away from the "gates" and being that it is in March, perhaps the seas will be more calm.. I am sure that once I have gone on this cruise I will be an avid fan of sailing ...Thanks again you guys have really helped!:D

Sausage might just be the lesser evil, because you probably won't eat more than two links. Sausage patties can be even worse at almost 150 calories per patty.

from

http://www.nvdaily.com/Food/2006/publik_042606/breakfast.html

My blog is like a sausage patty: no links.

from

http://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/funny/your_blog_is_like_a_sausage_patty_21817.asp

it would be extremely difficult to fall off a ship. That is probably why people do suspect foul play or suicide when they hear of these things. Even drunk- unless they are stupid enough to climb over the railing or sit on the railing- are not apt to fall off the ship. It just isn't easy to do!

Archived