Best Time to Buy Airfare?

Annefran

With all of this talk on another thread about people getting future air credit, when the price drops after they have booked their flights, maybe you should just book it, and call for credit if/when the price drops. I never thought that I could get credit like that, before reading that thread. I will try it in the future though.

Kathy

event.png

I booked on American this past April for our upcoming Nov. cruise. Non-stop from Boston to San Juan $300 pp total including all taxes and fees. It has gone up since then. It really is a bit of a "crap shoot", so if you see a price you can live with, book it! Good Luck!

Try US Air, we just sailed AOS 9/3/06, and a lot of the East Coaster's flew from Philly on US and got a good deal, and a non stop flight to boot! Not sure if US air is @ JFK or LGA, sorry! We flew Delta from OH to ATL to San Juan, expensive and horrible lay overs!

Been watching American and USAir flights from Newark and Philly areas. I am also keeping track on how full the flights are. So far only 1/2 full. When I see that these flights are getting close to being full and the price is about the same, will book.

I have been getting conflicting opinions as to when to book the flights, immediately vs. Jan 07. It will be 6 months out in Oct to our cruise. I think I'll wait at least one more month before I make up my mind.

Also, I see that Continental has a policy that if you book a flight and then they lower the price, they will give you a credit voucher to use within the year. That's a nice plus especially since we will be cruising again in 2008 on FOS.

Thanks All, will keep you posted and as always I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions!

All the talk about getting credit if fares drop is nice. Just remember, it usually has to be used within a year and when it comes time for you to fly again a different airline may have much better pricing to your destination than the airline that you have credit with.

Someone mentioned Southwest. Unfortunately they do not fly to San Juan or have they now added it?

And as for Spirit, presently from Providence to SJU they are the MOST expensive, BY FAR, of all the airlines. What is up with them?

I check all the airline prices every day. AA and USAir are still about the best bet. Not even considering flying out of JFK or LaGuardia, much too far away. It's either Newark or Philly. The best time for flights is on continental but they are NOT budging on their prices. Spirit Air out of Atlantic City is outrageous! I also check the seat availability too. Most of the flights are only 1/2 full. When I see that they are filling up, then I'll book at that price.

I'm going to wait just a little longer, thanks for all the input. Everyone has been great!

To All:

I just wanted to thank everyone for her helpful information and comments. I finally purchased our airfare today for our AOS cruise next April. I decided to fly out of Philly this time even though it's 1 1/2hrs vs. 40 min to Newark. American rates were just much more reasonable and worth the extra time to get to the airport. My daughter wants to take an excursion the day we get back to San Juan to the Rain Forest. So I booked our flight for later in the day. I ended up getting two tickets with tax/etc for 700, not too bad for Easter time. I think I got a pretty good deal.

I may even upgrade us to First Class if the price is right when we get closer to the cruise and if seats are available.

Thanks again CC members are great!

To All:

I just wanted to thank everyone for her helpful information and comments. I finally purchased our airfare today for our AOS cruise next April. I decided to fly out of Philly this time even though it's 1 1/2hrs vs. 40 min to Newark. American rates were just much more reasonable and worth the extra time to get to the airport. My daughter wants to take an excursion the day we get back to San Juan to the Rain Forest. So I booked our flight for later in the day. I ended up getting two tickets with tax/etc for 700, not too bad for Easter time. I think I got a pretty good deal.

I may even upgrade us to First Class if the price is right when we get closer to the cruise and if seats are available.

Thanks again CC members are great!

Archived