Flew out of Gatwick a few days ago - what to expect

cnmiranda

Hello, just wanted to update travelers on what it will be like if you are flying out of Gatwick in the next few days or weeks. We spent a lovely two weeks in England and Wales and I will report on that later when I have more time. This was by private guide but I want to mention the tour company (Dragon Tours) as they do any type of tour which would work out very nicely for cruisers with extra time to spend in the UK. Will write about that portion of the trip next week as I'll be going out of town again tomorrow night.

We had a 10:45 am flight via Virgin Atlanic on Saturday, Sept. 9th. We knew it would be very crowded and such with the new security restrictions so we departed our London hotel at approx. 6:15 am and took a taxi from our hotel to Victoria station to take the Gatwick Express. The cost was approx. 25 pounds per person and the train takes about 30 minutes to reach the airport.

We arrived at Gatwick at 7 am and headed to the Virgin counter. It was actually less busy in this part of the airport from previous visits but the reduced conjestion didn't last long:) We were flying premium economy so we did not have a very long line to stand in at all. Had we flown regular economy I'm guessing the line to check in baggage would have taken approximately an hour, that's how long it took last year and the line was about the same.

After checking our bags we went customs to get our VAT forms turned in, that took about 5 minutes, no line. After that we entered the long line to go through the screening pricess to get to our departure gate. As expected there were long lines with plenty of grumpling with airport employees collecting ad remaining restricted items. Folks were still complaining they had to throw away their lip gloss, lip stick, etc. Once we were just about to enter the actual screening area our passports and tickets are checked to verify that you are flying that day and photos are taken by electronic camera. You of course then take off your shoes and outer layer of clothing (jackets, etc.) and begin the screening process. After you pass the security detector each person was had a light body check, male to male, female to female with one airport employee. I should mention that the woman in line exactly ahead of us had a very small piece of rollong luggage and the wheels only did not fit the luggage size check box and the airline employee made her leave to check in that bag. So it looks as though your carry on bag must fit 100% in the size checking box. Unfortunately the woman now lost 20 minutes of standing in line and had to go back to the original check in line and start the process all over......

For us point to point check in through the first security gate lasted one hour. If you are flying economy you can add another hour to that possibly for luggage check in. Here the real confusion started. There are hundreds of people in the waiting area without food/water/consessions waiting in this spot to find out their departure gates (it has always been this way just that now more people of course are heading to the airport sooner with longer wait times before boarding) . We went to grab a quick bite to eat at Mc Donald's, that line took 20 minutes and it took my spouse 30 minutes in line to buy newspapers at WHSmith. After about an hour or so, around 8:25 we saw he had a departure gate so we left to walk to our final boarding gate. If you purchased water in the other area you must now throw that out again before entering your final departure gate. There conveniently are new water/soda stands so you can purchase a drink for a second or third time. Once you enter the next security area you show your passport/id and ticket again walk through the next screening. You get another body pat down and your carry on luggage is more thoroughly inspected. All contents of your baggage are emptied onto a table. Now you are in place to get on the plane.:) If you have to use the loo do so BEFORE entering security for your gate or you will have to go through the final screening process again.

After that we waited about another 90 minutes and there was no special boarding by Virgin except handicapped/first class. Everyone else boarded at the same time.

You CAN shop at duty free now, you will receive your items before boarding the plane.

All of this hassle because of 20 something plus lunatics trying to destroy our way of life. This is the way our lives will be now and we just have to decide if this is what we want to go through when traveling nationally or internationally. The airport employees were very kind and I have no complaints at all. You have to give them credit as I am guessing they are putting up with incredible amounts of complaining but they were always professional and courteous.

Our flight was one hour late departing because of the enhanced security screening. After we took off it was an uneventful flight.

Will this stop us from travelling between the US and the UK? No way, we love Britain entirely too much. We'll see if this will change tourist flying in the future:)

We had an amazing trip in Wales and London, perhaps our best vacation yet. We live and breath Britain after being Americans:)

Any questions, do not hesiatate to ask. Warmest regards.

All of this hassle because of 20 something plus lunatics trying to destroy our way of life. This is the way our lives will be now and we just have to decide if this is what we want to go through when traveling nationally or internationally.
Thanks for reporting back on this.

My personal view is that I'm wimping out if I change what I do just because of some security hassles. One of the things the terrorists want to do is to disrupt our lives. If we give in and stop travelling just because of mere hassle, that's handing the terrorists victory on a plate. In any fight against terrorism, every one of us is called on to be a front line soldier. If standing in long queues is all I have to do to play my part, I'll be there.

I've done three trips since 10 August, and am glad to have had the opportunity to show some solidarity!

Thanks for reporting back on this.

My personal view is that I'm wimping out if I change what I do just because of some security hassles. One of the things the terrorists want to do is to disrupt our lives. If we give in and stop travelling just because of mere hassle, that's handing the terrorists victory on a plate. In any fight against terrorism, every one of us is called on to be a front line soldier. If standing in long queues is all I have to do to play my part, I'll be there.

I've done three trips since 10 August, and am glad to have had the opportunity to show some solidarity!

Hear hear!

It would not be facetious to recall the words of another British gentleman who said: "...but if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, and all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new dark age made more sinister, and perhaps more prolonged, by the lights of a perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duty..." And: "The empires of the future are the empires of the mind"

We flew out of Gatwick on 9/11 and our experience was basically the same as the original poster. One thing though, at the duty free shop, I was told that if I bought perfume, alcohol or any other liquid, it wuold not be allowed on the plane. They were to be sold to non US flights only.

No, this will not stop me from traveling either.

There is still so much confusion about all of this that I wanted to add a few details regarding our experience flying back on September 13th. We flew from Seville to London Gatwick to board our American Airlines flight to DFW. Since we were screened in Seville, that was painless and only took approx 15 minutes (VAT line was very quick too).

Our experience in the airport in Gatwick was not the same as the original poster. We had checked all of our bags in Seville other than our one carry-on for each of us because we knew we'd have to check them at LGW anyway. However, many passengers who were connecting at Gatwick from other airports in Europe were unhappy about giving up that extra carry-on in London; it's hard for me to understand because I try to be educated on the restrictions and allowances, but many of them swore that they had not been advised of the one carry-on limit for connecting through the U.K. airports, so I have to assume that since so many passengers are making the same statements, some airlines are not clearly communicating this information.

When we arrived at Gatwick, we were subjected to additional screening that was much more intense than the screening in Spain (no surprise there either). When we were shopping at the terminal, we were advised in the Harrod's store and in Boots that no liquids would be permitted in carry-ons on our flight from LGW to DFW. Apparently some other passengers did not get the message because I saw many confiscated bags while we were waiting at the gate, and passengers were upset that items that they just bought to use on the plane like lipstick and other personal items were then taken away. There was another screening station at our gate too, but my briefcase that was filled with wrapped packages of tiles and ceramics that I had just purchased was barely given a glance while my husband was required to take everything out of his backpack.

Also, at our gate at Gatwick, passengers were permitted to leave the gate to go to the restroom but were required to leave passports with the screeners.

We also noted that many passengers are still not understanding that some of the items that we are permitted to carry on the planes from the U.S. to the U.K. are not permitted while traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. I hope the airlines will find a source to sell comfort items such as eye drops, hand lotion, and lip balm soon because 10 hour flights are not comfortable with the dry plane air, and those packets given in business class don’t contain everything that passengers need to be comfortable, and all the passengers in coach don’t get those anyway. We have wonderful friends who live in the U.K., so we will return to visit, but I will avoid flying through the U.K. as much as possible due to the discomfort factors because CDG in Paris is a better alternative for us. As noted by others, we will not discontinue travels to Europe due to terrorists, but we will continue to monitor the situation to determine what works best for us in our travel plans.

Donna

I hope the airlines will find a source to sell comfort items such as eye drops, hand lotion, and lip balm soon because 10 hour flights are not comfortable with the dry plane air, and those packets given in business class don’t contain everything that passengers need to be comfortable, and all the passengers in coach don’t get those anyway.
It's more likely that the restrictions will be eased soon, anyway. It's why my constant advice to those who are asking about flights is to check a couple of days before flying, not months ahead (as many are doing).

Thanks for reporting back in such detail!

It's more likely that the restrictions will be eased soon, anyway. It's why my constant advice to those who are asking about flights is to check a couple of days before flying, not months ahead (as many are doing).

Yes, I agree, Virgin told us a few days before our return flight that we would not know for certain if my spouse would be allowed to carry his ipod until we reached the airport.

I too hope things will ease up soon, not having access to hand lotion is the pits, my hands and face get dry on the plane:)

I just flew between Las Vegas and Philadelphia in the past couple of days and there was no second checking of the carry on after the initial screening of baggage for liquids or gels, just announcements that these items aren't allowed after getting to the gate.

Is it the same situation at the Continental check-in area? I know that Virgin is always hectic. We're flying Continental to Newark and are wondering if their check-in may be easier. I'd appreciate any feedback from someone who has recently flown Continental. Thanks

We flew Continental out of Gatwick, on September 10. My purse was searched at least two, maybe three times (I had prescription nasal sprays in it); I lost a compact of solid foundation makeup, a bottle of nasal spray that was identical to the one with the prescription label, a tube of lip balm that I had forgotten was in there. At the gate, we were patted down (male to male, female to female).

They made my husband cram his briefcase so far down into the new plywood sizer thing that it took him and two other people to get it back out.

They were all nice, but very strict. I didn't even walk into any of the duty-free shops, and was question at the gate as to what I may have bought.

It's more likely that the restrictions will be eased soon, anyway.
An announcement was made today that restrictions will be eased a bit on Friday 22 September:-
From Friday 22 September:

All passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and those transferring from international flights at a UK airport will be required to meet the following requirements:

Cabin Baggage

ONE item only of cabin baggage will be permitted through the airport security search point, the dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.). Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened.

Mobility aids

No change. Pushchairs, walking aids and wheelchairs are permitted but will be screened.

Liquids

No change. Restrictions remain in force, meaning that no liquids of any type are permitted through the airport security search point, other than the following items:

• Essential medicines in liquid form sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), as long as it is verified as authentic. Medicines in solid form continue to be permitted.
  • Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by the accompanying passenger).

To help their progress through search points, passengers are advised not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, flasks, tubes, cans, plastic containers etc.) in their cabin baggage.

NOTE: The definition of liquids includes gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures and the contents of pressurised containers, e.g. toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrups, perfume, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc.

Large electrical items / Laptops

No change. Laptops and other large electrical items (e.g. a large hairdryer) will still have to be removed from cabin baggage and screened separately. (Note: a laptop bag will be regarded as your one item that is allowed in the cabin).

In addition to the above, passengers boarding flights to the USA and the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the airport security search point, will continue to be subjected to secondary search at the gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

Musical instruments

Musical instruments which do not fit in the permitted cabin baggage size (maximum length of 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.)) will be allowed as a second item of cabin baggage, and will need to be screened. Larger instruments (e.g. cellos) are also permitted into the cabin following screening. However, passengers should check with their airlines if special arrangements (e.g. purchasing an extra seat) for these large instruments need to be made.

Oversized baggage

All other items of oversized luggage will be required to be placed in the aircraft hold.

Flights to the US

Passengers boarding flights to the USA and items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, will be subjected to secondary search at the gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

We just flew out of Gatwick this past Tuesday on American Airlines. Our flight was at around 10:30 AM.

The American Airlines gate opens at 7:00 AM. We flew business class so the line was short but economy is long. This is how it normally is so the additional security have no baring on that. But, given the additional lines, I urge people to get there early.

As is normally the case, before we went to the ticket counter there is a security person who asks you some basic questions. Then you proceed to the ticket counter.

After you receive your tickets you proceed to the first security checkpoint. For us, the line was about 30 minutes. Obviously this can vary depending on time of day, etc. They have a wooden box on each line and if your carry on looks on the larger side they will ask you to place it in there to make sure it fits. If it doesn't, you either need to remove items to make it fit, or go back to the ticket line to see if you can check in the luggage. They will also remind you of what you can't take on the flight and that was an area where people would throw out selected items. After all of the news on this I couldn't believe the number of people on line who had liquids in their carry on includng large bottles of alcohol.

Then you go thorough passport control as you normally would and the secrurity screening. The screeners were very helpful as you have to remove all electronic equipment and your shoes and coats.

When you are ready to proceed to your gate you do so in the normal manner where there is another security check in and on flights from the UK to the US it is significantly more stringent than normal which made us feel very good about the security. As they normally do they ask you various quiestions but this time they checked each and every item in your carry on. They removed each item. They also padded each of us down checking our arms, legs, etc. for any items.

Keith

There is still so much confusion about all of this that I wanted to add a few details regarding our experience flying back on September 13th. We flew from Seville to London Gatwick to board our American Airlines flight to DFW. Since we were screened in Seville, that was painless and only took approx 15 minutes (VAT line was very quick too).

Our experience in the airport in Gatwick was not the same as the original poster. We had checked all of our bags in Seville other than our one carry-on for each of us because we knew we'd have to check them at LGW anyway. However, many passengers who were connecting at Gatwick from other airports in Europe were unhappy about giving up that extra carry-on in London; it's hard for me to understand because I try to be educated on the restrictions and allowances, but many of them swore that they had not been advised of the one carry-on limit for connecting through the U.K. airports, so I have to assume that since so many passengers are making the same statements, some airlines are not clearly communicating this information.

When we arrived at Gatwick, we were subjected to additional screening that was much more intense than the screening in Spain (no surprise there either). When we were shopping at the terminal, we were advised in the Harrod's store and in Boots that no liquids would be permitted in carry-ons on our flight from LGW to DFW. Apparently some other passengers did not get the message because I saw many confiscated bags while we were waiting at the gate, and passengers were upset that items that they just bought to use on the plane like lipstick and other personal items were then taken away. There was another screening station at our gate too, but my briefcase that was filled with wrapped packages of tiles and ceramics that I had just purchased was barely given a glance while my husband was required to take everything out of his backpack.

Also, at our gate at Gatwick, passengers were permitted to leave the gate to go to the restroom but were required to leave passports with the screeners.

We also noted that many passengers are still not understanding that some of the items that we are permitted to carry on the planes from the U.S. to the U.K. are not permitted while traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. I hope the airlines will find a source to sell comfort items such as eye drops, hand lotion, and lip balm soon because 10 hour flights are not comfortable with the dry plane air, and those packets given in business class don’t contain everything that passengers need to be comfortable, and all the passengers in coach don’t get those anyway. We have wonderful friends who live in the U.K., so we will return to visit, but I will avoid flying through the U.K. as much as possible due to the discomfort factors because CDG in Paris is a better alternative for us. As noted by others, we will not discontinue travels to Europe due to terrorists, but we will continue to monitor the situation to determine what works best for us in our travel plans.

Donna

I see my previous post has been pulled but I still take offence at this post

A further relaxation has been announced today.

Passengers on flights from the UK to the US can now bring on board liquids that they buy after the security checkpoint. This brings US-bound flights into line with flights to other destinations.

You still cannot take liquids through the security checkpoint.

And there is an exception: NW flights from Gatwick, on which liquids are still not allowed.

Archived