What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

cruisin_cutie

I think I will be excited as a 5 year old every time we arrive at the terminal and see the massive ships that we will call home for the next several days.

I get so excited walking onto the ship from the terminal. That walk, all while pulling my suitcase on rollers happily behind me, is sooooooooo great. I get giddy thinking about it.

I love that some enthusiastic worker is holding a drink tray the second I step on the pool deck.

I love talking to staff members and finding out more about them, hearing their accents, etc.

There's NOTHING like the "bing bong" and hearing announcements. I don't even care what they're saying! Just love "bing bong!!"

I love having to get used to the toilets again! I always let out a yelp the first couple of times, as I remember how loud those things can be.

I love getting to dress up for formal night. This will be our first 7-day, so we'll have two! Woohoo! :)

We're getting our first balcony on this trip, so I'm sure I'll come up with all sorts of new "firsts" and "I loves" for next time! :)

I also love busting into the room, checking out the shore excursions available, and getting in the long line, hoping that the ones we pick will be available.

I also like listening to the band, and not figuring out what the song actually is until close to the end of the song.

Oh! The swirling water! When you look down from a deck and watch as we leave the pier.

Ok... one more! Waving to the people on the other ships as you leave a port late at night... everything's lit up, you're watching the ship leave, and chatting with total strangers as if you've known them forever.

Man.. I could do this all day!!

For me, I love being back in the ocean... the smells of the sea, getting to see sea animals and, of course, the beautiful stars at night when away from port. I live in the city, and I really miss the stars of the open sea (and the northern lights in Alaska, when you're lucky)!

Wow, this is such a great thread! It's getting me even more excited about cruising and I have awhile to go (less than 6 months though)!!!

I LOVE the bing-bong noise and the elevator lady's voice.

I LOVE exploring the ship on the first day

I LOVE the first time you are in your cabin and just jumping up and down in excitement

I LOVE searching for the "eccentric" passengers

I LOVE choosing whatever dish I want in the dining room without thinking twice about price

I LOVE sitting in the hot tub with a fruity drink

I LOVE going into the on-board gift shop for souvenirs

I LOVE seeing the ship for the first time

I LOVE the feeling of excitement my fiancé and I have and acting as thrilled as little kids

Basically, I love everything about cruising!

- the gentle movement when the ship first pulls out of port and I'm gently awoken. Yes, the cruise has begun!

- sitting on empty desks in the early morning

- the daily newsletter and my ambitious highlighting of too many activities, preferring instead to relax

What's not to love!?!?!

I love having exotic locations brought to my door!

I love the other passengers - whether I like them or not! We're all sharing an adventure that we'll always remember.

I love meeting my new tablemates and getting to know them.

I love meeting my "new friends" that I've just met for drinks, dancing, shows, shore excursions - whatever. All of a sudden there's a whole shipful of people you share common interests with.

The piano bar after I've had a drink or two and I suddenly remember the words to every song I've ever heard - and start believing that other people would enjoy hearing me sing them! And if they've had a few drinks also they probably will enjoy it!

I love the shows - good or not so much. How often do I actually get dressed up and go to a show in "real life"?

HAL's wonderful icecream! YUM!

High Tea at sea!

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing all the camra flashes from the beaches and hotels at Puerto Vallarta as we passed them heading out to sea.

The sound of the ship horn.

Sitting at the aft pool after dinner watching the wake.

Getting up early in the morning sitting at the aft pool watching people save their chairs with about fifty towels.

Yah! The BING BONG and the capt- I like!!

Also, the horn (that makes me jump every time)

oh-and me asking DH "Now? Now? Now?" Never knowing when we cross from the gangway onto the ship.....the the big dumb grin I get when we finally do cross over!!!

My husband and I love to stand on the Prominade just above the gangway and watch the last frantic passengers board. Often there is a VERY stern looking officer waiting for them as well. LOTS Of fun!

Another nice thing to do is try to find a quiet spot to read a book or play a board game, especially during the days at sea.... (sigh....)

• 2 weeks later...

i like it when u first are getting on the cruise and u stick your card in the little camra thing and then u get on the ship and stick your card in the sign in thingy and the bong noise me and my family always go bong bong bong all week long then when we get off all year till the next cruise we keep making the noise when ever we have cruise feaver

OMG~ I swear- this just made me cry... how sweet to make that comment about your wife in her formal wear!!!

I have to remember to buy a special cigar for my husband. He enjoys the occasional cigar.

I'm enjoying reading all these comments.

So many things come to mind on this one.

Arriving at the port and seeing the ship that willl be our hotel/transportation/restaurant for the duration

The first morning at sea with hot coffee on the balcony with my wife

Exploring the ship on boarding day

Watching new cigar smokers while I enjoy my own and offering a light with my butane lighter and sharing stories

that first double dessert in the dining room(yummy)

Seeing my wife on first formal night(yummy)

No matter how bad things may get the sea always makes them better:D