What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

cruisin_cutie

My wife and I (for some reason) love the ladies voice on the elevator on Carnival ships. Especially when she says "Lobby", "Verandah", and "Lido". If you know what I'm talking about you know how those names are pronounced by "her."

Also, love going out to our balcony on the 1st night in our robes. Nothing better.

That's too funny, I love the "elevators" voice as well - all three of our cruises so far have had a lady with an Australian accent. Also lenjoy the "day of the week" carpets in the elevators! I love going out on the balcony early in the morning when we're coming into each port. ;)

Kim.

i love playing ding dong ditch to the cabins.

that has got to be the funnest. we run down the hallways and hit everydoor, they all come out at the same time. i remeber we did it to the kids club once, and the ladie actually chased after us. and playing soccer down the halls. also i love waking up in the morning and having breakfast on deck. yay. 6 more days :)

Hope I'm never on your cruise - I bet you think it's "cool" to hang out in the hallways as well!

my odd favorite thing is the TOILET PAPER!! No, not the fact that it's one-ply sandpaper, but that when the roll gets changed, they fold the corners up under the dispenser to make a little triangle pull-tab. i was absolutely thrilled when i noticed it for the first time: really shows you how no detail is overlooked!!

I definately agree with most of the things people have posted. One additional thing that I missed so much when I got off the ship was having my favorite people only a few doors away. I went on my first cruise in June and I was immediately hooked. Anytime I needed anythig or wanted to do something all i had to do was walk a few doors down and i coud always find someone who wanted to join me in whatever adventure I had planned. I also loved the picture gallery. It was nice to look at the picture of all of us doing different things. I love the formal night pictures. I'm planng a cruise for June 08. I love planning and most of my friends are happy to let me take the reigns. Reading all of these posts gets me so excited for my next cruise!:D :D

I definately agree with most of the things people have posted. One additional thing that I missed so much when I got off the ship was having my favorite people only a few doors away. I went on my first cruise in June and I was immediately hooked. Anytime I needed anythig or wanted to do something all i had to do was walk a few doors down and i coud always find someone who wanted to join me in whatever adventure I had planned. I also loved the picture gallery. It was nice to look at the picture of all of us doing different things. I love the formal night pictures. I'm planng a cruise for June 08. I love planning and most of my friends are happy to let me take the reigns. Reading all of these posts gets me so excited for my next cruise!:D :D

Emmy I hear you. Since my first cruise. All someone has to say is we want to go here. Two years out and I am on it. They just call up and ask what I have found out. The planning is half of the fun and once we have finished that destination I ask what's next. It is Christmas any time of year. In fact I agree with your entire comment.

We love to:

- That first encounter with the ship while on port. I love cruise ships they are soooo beautiful.

-Unpack and find the right place for our stuff in our new "home"

-Read the navigator, to see what we are going to do that day

-Picking "my spot" on the ship to read a book, watch the sea go by etc...

- Hear the captain announcing the weather, knots etc... (and the ding dong noise before it):)

- Smiling crew makes my day, I don't feel as guilty that I am having a good time and they are working

- Going to dinner and trying all kinds of different dishes (especially soups!!!)

-I don't drink a lot but I love to go to occasional wine tastings, cocktails tasting whatever you call it with my husband.

- I love to look down (while on the dock) the height of the ship always amazes me.

Neya

This is probably pretty weird, but I LIKE the crowded breakfast buffet each morning! It is fun to see everyone starting their day together before we all go off to our various activities for the day. I just enjoy watching so many people all in the same frame of mind - vacation!!!

I'm looking forward to the 'cruise ship smell' :D I don't know what it is, but there's always a certain scent on board that just says 'cruising' to me.

I went into a public toilet yesterday and instantly thought to myself, it smells like a cruise ship in here LOL! Maybe it's the cleaning agent they use??

Ahhh Yes....the "BING BONG" and then the garbled voice....now that's cruising!!!!

I can get that on the New York City subway system! LOL! Just kidding...

My favorite "odd" thing is feeling the rumble under my feet as the ship starts up its engines. The little girl in my head starts jumping up and down and yelling, "We're going! We're really going now!"

I have got to stop giving her sugar...

To Jimdicap:

I love cold soups too :p !!!! Never tried watermelon, but I had a cold strawberry bisque on the Golden that was delicious!!!! Before cruising I would never try any "strange" dishes but now hubby and I taste everything before saying we don't want it or like it. Now I will be on the lookout for the watermelon bisque:D

All this chatter is making the yearning that much worse. It's bad enough that we have recently moved to within about 6 blocks of the ships terminal here in Saint John, New Brunswick. During our spring, summer and early fall months -- we hear the horns many times each week and I must confess -- I have to go out of my way to take a walk down by the water just to see those grand ships.

Tracey

My best friend and I took a cruise a couple of years ago (with another friend of mine, and my daughter who was 2 years old at the time) and we discovered that it was a BLAST to watch the people... this year we are doing a variation of that though... we're going to try to get pictures of these weirdo's also LOL

We haven't figured out yet how we're gonna do it, but we are planning on having a contest to see who can get the picture of the most odd looking person on board. (i'll be taking a picture of HER too... *grin* and she'll be in the runnin!)

Is this the thing you look forward to? making fun of people? This is making me wonder what kind of juvenile names someone will come up for me or someone to take a pic of me to laugh at later just because I am not perfect like they think they are. How would you like it if someone did that to you?

I can get that on the New York City subway system! LOL! Just kidding...

My favorite "odd" thing is feeling the rumble under my feet as the ship starts up its engines. The little girl in my head starts jumping up and down and yelling, "We're going! We're really going now!"

I have got to stop giving her sugar...

Jeanie...It seems that you have read my mind on 2 counts.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the garbled voices on MTA.

Also I LOVE that first engine rumble..It means Yahoo I am on vacation!

Perhaps it's true what they say about great minds:)