What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

cruisin_cutie

I can't believe nobody mentioned they like standing in the nude on their balcony in the middle of nowhere......naturally I'm referring to the open seas with no other ship around. Maybe everyone here travels with their kids? Mine are grown and own their own..hehehe

Anyway, it's the best feeling to be one with nature:)

My wife and I had our first balcony cabin when we cruised in December. Our first night out to sea I stepped out onto the balcony in my sleepwear (nothing!) and loved the feel of the warm breeze over my skin. I know, it sounds strange, but even a bathing suit can be confining.

I made it a nightly ritual!

• 2 weeks later...

I love it when I take my first step onto the ship itself, and leave everything behind.

The DH loves exploring the new ship and seeing where everything is.

He loves to go by and read the menus everyday.

The DS loves making new friends and being free from his parents for a couple of hours on his own!

We love, love, love to cruise!:D

• 2 weeks later...

We've sailed out of Miami on all of our cruises so far, and I"m hoping I can do this in Port Canaveral too!

We love to go to the bow of the ship during sail away, DH will lift me up and I'll sit on the rail and he gets a picture. Then we waive to all the boaters and jet skiers that are around the ship!

Finding the quietest corner of the ship - e.g. Promenade deck - and pulling up a lounger with a cup of coffe and a great book - BLISS!

Having dessert with every evening meal - where else do you really get to do that?

That virtuous feeling we get when we purposely use the stairs instead of the elevator that justifies that evening's dessert or cocktail.

DH loves finding the coziest bar on the ship and having his nightly scotch before turning in for the night.

Who am I kidding - it's all pretty great, isn't it?

I like it all. But especially like to sit with a cup of coffee in the morning on the upper deck before lots of people get there, trying to figure what islands we are passing, if in the Carribean, and the ocasional sneek at some sea life.

I disbelieve all you folks who complain about the muster drill. Secretly, you all dig it as much as I do. THAT'S when I know I am on a cruise. I can get chimes in a department store. My boat rocks me to sleep better than a big ole cruise ship. And drinking coffee nekkid is a daily thing around here.

But that slightly dirty, musty, awkward, bright orange PFD. ahhhhhhhh. Nothin like it on land.

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to trying every different kind of food, and I love that if I don't like it,I can start with something new and not have to pay for it. Also I love to hear the ships horn right when we are about to sail:D

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

My wife and I have a little tradition on each cruise. We love to stand in front of the safe and turn off our cell phones, put them in the safe and know that there will be no work for the next 10 or so days. Is there any other type of vacation when you really have a chance to "get away from it all"?

B&B

Ahhhh yes..this is my ONLY rule (well besides HAVE TONS OF FUN)...no cell phones at all! I ck messages for emergencies once or twice throughout the cruise but other then that NADA!

I have 2 daughters - ages 9 and 4. After dinner my 9yr old goes to the kids club and my parents (whom we always cruise with) go to a show. I take my 4 yr old to the pool. I love to swim with her when there is nobody else at the pool and because it is dark, I don't have to drown my ultra-white body in lotion.

I also adore the smell of the pool area - suntan oil, sea air, fruity drinks - with a Carib band playing.

Not that I necessarily look forward to it, but it's something I call the the cruise ship smell. When you first walk onboard there is a distinct smell that cruise ships seem to have in varying degrees. It's not bad, just unique to cruise ships. It's like a signal that I am now officially on a cruise.

I love curling up in my cabin all alone with room service and a glass of wine watching the movie of the day. I know it sounds hokey or lame, but as a mother of three, having that precious quiet time alone is just magical!

We always look for (and find) a "different" passenger(s). We end up referring to certain cruises as "you know, the one that had the cross-dresser on it" or the 85 year old woman with a 26 year old companion. It's always a race between husband and myself to find the first one(s) and at the end, choosing which was the strangest (lol). On the other hand, we remember them equally as well with the wonderful people we meet on cruises.

Tucker in Texas

Realizing that I am one of the only people who realizes that the showers in the gym are WAY bigger than the ones in your room. It only took me 4 cruises to figure that out, but now that's generally where I shower, and I try to have a room strategically placed to do so with ease.

i love playing ding dong ditch to the cabins.

that has got to be the funnest. we run down the hallways and hit everydoor, they all come out at the same time. i remeber we did it to the kids club once, and the ladie actually chased after us. and playing soccer down the halls. also i love waking up in the morning and having breakfast on deck. yay. 6 more days :)

i love playing ding dong ditch to the cabins... and playing soccer down the halls.

way to be an annoying teenager. feel free to grow up anytime. :rolleyes: i hope someone does this to you when you're older!!!