What "odd" things do you look forward to when cruising?

cruisin_cutie

Angelsfort,

I had already planned on takin' pictures of the strange people that i see on my next cruise too!!!!!!!:p i'm not real sure how i'm gonna do it either, but I would REALLY like to get a pic WITH them!(maybe even holdin' a sign with there "nickname" on it!) LOL! Have fun on your cruise!!!!

:)Hayley:)

reddgrits & angelsfort: Have you ever considered that the "weirdo's" onboard are actually the normal ones and they've been watching you???:rolleyes: Yikes!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

ROFL !!! Wouldn't be the first time I was accused of being the "not-normal" one!! I like it that way!!! Hmmm... now that I think about it, I wonder how many people have pictures of ME in their cruise scrapbooks... with the "check out THIS weirdo" caption underneath it!!

reddgrits, I've got some ideas! There's always image editing software (I've got photoshop) where you can ADD the signs to the picture after the fact!! LOL So... if someone comes up to you while you're on your cruise and says something about you looking like one of their relatives and asks if they can just take your picture to show that relative... GET SUSPICIOUS!! (and then ask if it's me!! LOL)

:) I`ll tell you my favorite is the music.:confused: I know what you are going to say...MUSIC..My first cruise was on carnival in 84 and as we boarded the ship they had a calypso band on the lido deck playing..steel drums make the sweetest sound letting you know you are about to have the greatest time of your life...well we went on 8 more carnival cruises in the carribean and it still gives me a thrill..

hopefully my next cruise (hawaii) will have hawaiian music on deck everyday. :cool: :cool:

I love that time in the evening after a full day of touring, relaxing, eating, or whatever when you finally return to your cabin. It is like returning to your own private cozy little peace of heaven. Bed turned down, candy on pillow, then we climb in and read the ship's daily paper to plan our day ahead. OH, then falling asleep to the gentle sway of the ship in the night. The best!

Being out in the middle on nowhere and looking out to see nothing but water - no land in sight - we are just surrounded by water.

You beat me to it!!! I have a photo I took last year while I was sitting in a deck chair..............my feet, the deck, the rail, and nothing but water all around. Some people say they wouldn' t like to be out in the middle of the ocean - I always reply that it's the best part.

I really feel like I'm in a parallel universe for the days of the cruise.

Carole

I have a picture in my work cubicle of the little plastic deck table with two glasses from the bar (empty, of course) with the sea and waves in the back ground. Everytime I'm stressed I look at that picture and know it is somewhere in my future <soon, I hope> I love my balcony!

The fact that the Blackberry and cell phone DON'T WORK at sea (Sorry, I'm not a big fan of cell phone/blackberry signals on a cruise ship. In an emergency I'll splurge for a satellite call). No political gloom and doom, no offensive bumper stickers, no idjit drivers on the interstate, no real schedule.

:) I`ll tell you my favorite is the music.:confused: I know what you are going to say...MUSIC..My first cruise was on carnival in 84 and as we boarded the ship they had a calypso band on the lido deck playing..steel drums make the sweetest sound letting you know you are about to have the greatest time of your life...well we went on 8 more carnival cruises in the carribean and it still gives me a thrill..

hopefully my next cruise (hawaii) will have hawaiian music on deck everyday. :cool: :cool:

I have read every page and was waiting for someone to mention the calypso band with steel drums !!!!! I went out and bought a calypso cd but, it's definitely NOT the same! Gotta be out by the pool with the smell of sunlotion, wind blowing, and the frozen drinks flowing!!!

Oh i love it , i love it ... i cant wait til we go!

Mine would be ( on CENTURY) that little song thats played over and over between channels ... ahhh whats it called " somewhere over the rainbow" but its sung by some Hawaian chap, jesus someone i think..... It comes on when you turn the TV on in the morning for the weather reports .

it's Israel Kamakawiwo Ole's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow...and if you wanna have a sentimental moment right now

here's the video ... this song almost always makes me tear up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8

OOOps sorry the afor mentioned chaps name is Israel..

Oh wow.... dreams really do come true... oh wow... I have never heard anything so beautiful... soommmmewherrrrre over the rainbow..... trees of green red roses too... what a wonderful world.. I am going to go find that song right now for my cruise cd I am making! Thank you so much you guys!! That fellow has the most glorious voice!!!

My DH and I love to feel the ship moving, especially after an exhausting but wonderful day in port. We love to have the ship gently rock us to sleep. I told him he should come up with a way for our house to do that! We even like the rougher seas. (I know - we're weird!)

Not too weird, We like the rough seas also, Our first cruise on the Vision on the way back from Mexico Capt. George announced that we were bouncing all over the ship because we out ran hurricane Otto. I was probably one of ten people who did not mind the rocking back and forth due to being one of ten people sober on that cruise. Thought it was funny.

Joyce

RC Vision 9/2005

RC Sovereign 2/2007

I love so many things about cruising. The fact that I get to escape from home, work, and stress, and still have all my needs and dreams come true. I love meeting the staff and making them laugh, I love seeing places and doing things I have only seen on TV, I love having my husband all to my self and he can't runnaway, and most of all at the end of each cruise I love to plan the next one.

Joyce

RC Vision 9/2005

RC Sovereign 2/2007

When we cruised on Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda, I loved watching the channel on the tv that showed the course the ship was on so we'd know how close we were getting. Also, we had an early tee time and one day so we ordered our breakfast for the next day on our tv. IT was fun deciding what to have and when to have it delivered. OK, we did so much more than watch the tv, but this thread was for what unusual things we liked to do. 8-)

I love to leave the TV on all night (a great nightlight) so I know where we are when I wake up at night and in the morning. I also like it when they tell us how deep the water is beneath us. The deepest of the depths don't surprise me as much as the shallowness in some of the ports.

I want my DW to buy me a GPS for Christmas this year so I can keep track myself! I hear some airlines allow them in flight. (Am I the only one who expects the ground to change color when we cross a state line? (Ohio is usually green on the map;Indiana is usually, yellow.)

John in OH

calm down dude. i think my parents would like hearing security called on me for ding dong ditch, then other stuff, like drugs and drinking.

Yeah cruising is all about your fun, never mind your parent's would be so proud to know that they spent several $1000.00 so you could have a great cruise experience, annoying other passengers. But forget about security, being called on you, I want to meet the the person you hurt coming out of their room while you are playing soccer down the hall. I bet your cruiseing days will be over far longer then it will take for you to grow up and begin taking care of your parent's.

OMG~ I swear- this just made me cry... how sweet to make that comment about your wife in her formal wear!!!

I have to remember to buy a special cigar for my husband. He enjoys the occasional cigar.

I'm enjoying reading all these comments.

My husband too, he want's to know where all the cubans are. We are going to Alaska in May/2008, he can't wait till the end of the cruise when we go to Victoria, to get his cubans, and says his favorit thing to do is standing on the stern of the ship as we are leaving port enjoying his cuban, cigar.

We always look for (and find) a "different" passenger(s). We end up referring to certain cruises as "you know, the one that had the cross-dresser on it" or the 85 year old woman with a 26 year old companion. It's always a race between husband and myself to find the first one(s) and at the end, choosing which was the strangest (lol). On the other hand, we remember them equally as well with the wonderful people we meet on cruises.

Tucker in Texas

LOL....we call them the "Cast of Characters". We start looking at the different folks while waiting in line to embark, and wonder "who will be the cast of characters for this cruise"?