Are connecting cabins noisy?

Waterlily777

We have a Concierge Class booking for a cabin with a connecting door (8141) for our Panama cruise from LA to San Juan on the Summit.

For those who have sailed in connecting cabins, is noise from the next cabin an issue?

We have an opportunity to switch our booking to a non-connecting cabin, but it is on the starboard side of the ship (8084) and we would prefer to be on the port side for this Panama cruise.

Which cabin would you choose?

Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

My husband and I had a connecting cabin on Infinity (8131) and had issues with noise coming from the connecting cabin. Our neighbors were fighting most of the time, so it led to a very disappointing cruise experience. We reported it to the housekeeper, the consierge, and security, which all witnessed the issue from the inside of our room- but could not do anything to resolve as the arguments took place in private.

We were pretty disappointed in our experience as they were not able to resolve the situation on board or afterwards. By the time we were done with our 12 day trip, we definately had regretted making the reservation for a cabin which had a connecting door. We will be staying away from cruising for a while - especially after our experience.

Hope that you have a more positive experience than we did - we tried to make the most of it, but it was such an uncomfortable situation, it despite our best efforts took the fun out of our vacation.

We had a cabin with a connecting door on the Infinity. We found we could hear everything. It could have been that cabin or that ship but I wouldn't pick one with a connecting door again.

Love the Panama canal cruise. We' ve done it twice. Is there any particular reason that you prefer port side?

...just a result of a number of opinions from CC cruisers that had been on the west-to-east Panama cruise, that you got the best view from LA to Panama on the port side.

Also, all things being equal, we prefer morning sun to evening sun in the cabin, especially if the weather is very hot.

I have no experience with this myself though, which is why I appreciate all the advice from these boards, which will help me to make up my mind.

From the posts so far, possibly the Infinity doesn't have the same soundproofing as other ships?

Lanie11...I am so sorry that your cruise was affected by inconsiderate neighbors. Did you knock on the connecting door and let them know that you were being disturbed? I'm sure after a day or two of that embarrassing racket, I would have!

Thanks to all for posting!

We have a Concierge Class booking for a cabin with a connecting door (8141) for our Panama cruise from LA to San Juan on the Summit.

For those who have sailed in connecting cabins, is noise from the next cabin an issue?

We have an opportunity to switch our booking to a non-connecting cabin, but it is on the starboard side of the ship (8084) and we would prefer to be on the port side for this Panama cruise.

Which cabin would you choose?

We had a connecting cabin on the Constellation this past spring, & did not hear any noise coming from the connecting cabin. In fact, the only noise was from a baby in the non-connecting cabin on the other side of us.

(Oh... And from someone singing in the shower. But I expect they could also hear me singing in my shower!:))

If your general preference is for a stateroom on the port side, I would stick with that regardless of whether it is a connecting cabin.

Normally, I'm definately the type to confront directly. The point where I decided not to involve myself personally was when I walked down to talk to security and saw my "noisy" neighbor threatening the consierge, complete with a bloody hand. At that point the cruise line requested we did not confront directly, and personally, I would rather be alive and miserable, than confront the gentlemen and be forced to react in a way I would prefer not to.

Like I said, I hope your experience is much better than ours!

That really bites that you had to put up with that kind of nonsense.

Whether the fights were in private or not, I would have thought that the ships's staff could have put some pressure on the couple, as they were creating a disturbance that was affecting your enjoyment of a cruise that you had paid for in good faith.

The only thing I can think of is that the ship's staff was worried that pressing the man would put you at some risk, as it would have been clear who was the source of the complaints. Frankly, though, if that was the case, I think the couple should have been put off the ship.

If the ship was full, I can understand that perhaps they couldn't move you, but I really think Celebrity should have offered you something that might have made you feel a little better about a very unpleasant situation that you were forced to endure through no fault of your own. It wouldn't have cost them much, and it might have made you feel that at least Celebrity had some compassion for your situation.

You really have my sympathies. If nothing else, a cruise should be relaxing!

When traveling to Hawaii on the Summit we were able to not only hear the conversations coming from the other room, but when their veranda door was open and we were underway, the air pressure difference created a loud whistling sound through the small gap in the connecting door. When we opened our veranda door the rooms were equalized and the sound diminished somewhat. We had to have our cabin steward duct tape (yes duct tape) the connecting door to create a seal.

We did travel with in-laws once and had a connecting room. The novalty wore off after the second time my mother-in-law knocked and opened the connecting door just as I was coming out of the shower. Exciting times were had by all.

If given a choice, I would not book a cabin with a connecting door.

I haven't had first hand experience of a connecting cabin, but have read on the boards here that if you have someone who smokes in their cabin, the smell seeps through, somewhat solved by asking for the door surround to be taped up with duct tape, as mentioned in the above post.

Unless there was no choice of cabin or you had known family/friends in the adjoining cabin, I would avoid a connecting cabin too.

Phil

We had an interconnecting door on the Constellation last year and there were no problems other than I discovered it was unlocked when we arrived ! This was promptly locked up by the steward. Our neighbours were very quiet and although we had been slightly concerned that it was an interconnecting room prior to the cruise we were glad that we kept the cabin. Whichever cabin you choose you can never predict whether you will have good quiet neighbours so I would say stick with that cabin if it otherwise ticks all the boxes. The only noise we encountered was the Room Stewards chatting in the corridor in the mornings as their station was close to our room but we are early risers and this did not bother us too much.

Call us optimistic but we did think as we were sailing during the summer we might have been upgraded so they could sell the cabin to a family but it didn't happen !

When we choose cabins we look at:

1.How much traffic will pass by along the corridor as when people return from the bars in the evening they are louder than they realise they are.

2. Proximity to stairs - it's handy to be by the stairs as it's much easier to find your way back to the cabin when you forget something.

I don't know about the Infinity but we were on the Zenith, didn't have connecting rooms and could still carry on a conversation with the people in the cabin next to us: thank goodness they were friends. This was probably our biggest conplaint. On the Connie, this was not not the case. NMnita

I'm feeling a bit better about the connecting cabin....I'll bring duct tape and batting in case I have to seal out smoke and/or quarrelling neighbor.:p

We like the location fairly well...we'd like it to be slightly further forward, but it's on the deck we want, and the side we want, so if nothing better comes up, we'll still be happy.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Yes- you can hear every single word that the other passengers are saying. I was on the Constellation and don't know why this was such a problem. I would push my side of the locked connecting door closed (kept getting air pockets and opening a tad) and it would be better but with the ships motion I guess the door would again open a tad (yes, they were both locked).

My neighbors asked us if we could be quiet after midnight because they could hear every word.

I am going on the Millenium next year and made sure that I did not have a connecting cabin.

Obviously this didn't ruin my cruise but I don't recommend having a connecting cabin.

• 5 months later...

I have been away from the boards since our last cruise throught the Panama Canal on the Summit, but thought I should take a minute to let everyone know that we had no problems whatsoever with noise from the connecting cabin.

I never heard anything at all from our neighbours in the connecting cabin, and I asked if they heard anything from us, and they said "no".

The gentleman in the connecting cabin smoked, at least he did on his balcony, and we never had any smoke travelling into our cabin through the connecting door.

So, thanks very much to everyone who helped to put my mind at ease before we sailed.

It was a terrific cruise, even though the last 4 days were afflicted by the dreaded Noro virus. The crew handled it very well, however, and shipboard activities were only minimally affected. I was glad for my experience on these boards, because I remembered not to lean against the walls in the elevator, so didn't get any bleach marks on my clothes :rolleyes: .

Thank again! Cruise Critic rocks!

We had an adjoining room on the Galaxy, cabin 1241. We were a bit concerned but kept the room as it was one of a handful of Concierge Class rooms on that ship with a larger than average veranda.

We were not disturbed by noise at all during our 11 day cruise. Only time we ever heard anything through the door was one afternoon when we could hear their TV a little

Archived