Radiance Solarium Pool Question

ladyw

For those of you who were on the Radiance this past summer in Alaska. I have a question for you. I have heard rumblings, that they will allow kids in the covered solarium pool area during certain hours in AM and PM. Can anyone verify this?

We are torn between Princess and RCL right now because my 10 year old DD wants to be able to swim. Princess allows kids to swim in the covered pool areas. She swam a lot 2 years ago when we went to Alaska on the Diamond -- all in the covered pool because it was too cold outside.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Hi I can't speak to the Radiance but I was on the Jewel last December and I believe they are comparable. I didn't see any kids in the solarium pool and I remeber one dad trying to get his son into there and being told it wasn't allowed.

RCI's general policy on all of the Radiance class ships I have sailed on, has been that when the weather was not conducive to using the outside pool (too cool, rainy or otherwise inclement) children were allowed to use the solarium pool for a limited number of hours in the morning and afternoon. I believe that would be their policy in Alaska, especially. The covered pool on Princess ships is not an adults only area, so it is open to children at all times.:) We cruised on the Dawn Princess in Alaska and none of its pools are covered so swimming was limited to a very few brave souls.;)

ladyw,

We were on Radiance in Alaska this past August. And sadly for Alaska this was a very cold and wet summer for them. Yes young people were allowed in the Solarium during certain hours.

That was such a nice area my husband and I spent every afternoon there and did not find any problems with the young people. There were also young people and their families enjoying the outdoor pool. Being a Southern CA girl I figured those families were from cold climates.

One thing to consider Alaska is port intensive and it really is not a lay about the pool and tan type cruise. I tended to more see the young people playing basketball than around the pools.

This is again just my opinion, in choosing an Alaska cruise, go with the line that offers the ports you are most interested in seeing. We choose Radiance this year because of the ports and itinerary she was on.

Normally we cruise Princess, I like to stick with what I know, but RCI offered something better in regards to Alaska. And really the lines are pretty similar in many ways.

Thanks for all of your help.

The ports are the same between the 2 lines. We did princess last time to Alaska, but have an awesome back of the boat J/Suite on RCL on hold. I know Alaska is not a lay out and tan type of destination, but it is fun to sit in the hot tubs after a day at port and my daughter does like to hit the pool and play at least every day.

Its good to know that they will let the younger ones in during a specific time. This might make our decision a little easier.

Archived