Frist time with a 5 year old questions.

judyf

I just booked a last minute cruise on the Spirit to join my daughter and her family. It's their first cruise. My first time going with a child.

My grand daughter is 5, so anyone that has sailed with a child, can you fill me in on what we need to do? I know I read in different reviews about a sign up?

What should we not have her miss. Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

I leave tomorrow with my two year old. I'll let you know what it is like once I get back. Feel free to PM me and congrats on your last minute deal!

Hi Impulsive Puppy,

i will be cruising with my 2 1/2 yr old in 2 weeks - Iwould love ot hear all about the Spirit and a toddler when you return. I would PM you - but have no idea how to do it!

Thanks!

I just booked a last minute cruise on the Spirit ............

Thanks

Last minute and you're almost 2 months away!! hehehehe I booked on the SPIRIT for 9/24 last night--now that's last minute LOL---The kids section in the back of the ship is great!! you all will have a fun time

Hi Impulsive Puppy' date='

i will be cruising with my 2 1/2 yr old in 2 weeks - Iwould love ot hear all about the Spirit and a toddler when you return. I would PM you - but have no idea how to do it!

Thanks![/quote']

hey mm, i'll definately post my experiences and impressions, stay tuned and congrats!

When you board the ship and after getting a quick meal, you should head to the back of the ship on deck 10 and go to the children's area to sign up the grandchild for the children's program. You will receive a paper with the schedule of activities during your cruise. There are 3 or 4 programs based on different age groups (years 2 to 5, 6 to 9, 10 to 14?). Alternatively, you can take her to the splash and wading pools at the back of the ship and not go to the programs.

My daughter was just under the age of 2 and we couldn't register her for any of the programs (we tried, but was told that due to insurance issues they could accept her). As the end result, we did our own thing and had a good time taking her the islands and beaches.

Last minute and you're almost 2 months away!! hehehehe I booked on the SPIRIT for 9/24 last night--now that's last minute LOL---The kids section in the back of the ship is great!! you all will have a fun time

I saw that one yesterday!! Great Price! Wish I could get off work:( Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait till Nov to get my fix!:rolleyes:

~Connie

The kid crew is incredible. We sailed on the Dawn last year with our 2 kids: 2 and 7 at the time. And, they absolutely LOVED it!!! DS (7) loved the kids pool area, too. Your granddaughter will be so caught up in the size and spectacle of the ship, she will just love it. Even if you just walk around the ship, she will be enamoured. Enjoy!!!

I am taking my daughters (currently 2 and 4) on the Spirit in March. I would love to hear back from those of you who have mentioned that you will be cruising on this ship with young children in the near future.

I also have a question...

The last couple of postings mention a "service charge" of $5 per day per child. What is this for? I am assuming that it is not for the use of the children's programs, since when we booked last month, we were told that there is no cost for the programs.

No, it's the automatic gratuity. It used to be that you tipped everyone at the end of your cruise with cash in envelopes. But, since so many people never received tips (among other reasons, I'm sure), the cruiselines now automatically charge tips to your on board account. It's $10 per adult per day and $5.00 per child per day (between the ages of 3 and 12 on NCL; so your 2yo will not count). There is no cost for the program, but the automatic gratuity does not go to the Kids Crew staff. Don't forget to tip them, too :)

I am taking my daughters (currently 2 and 4) on the Spirit in March. I would love to hear back from those of you who have mentioned that you will be cruising on this ship with young children in the near future.

I will post a review when we return. I'm really looking forward to cruising with my GD.

I just got back from the Spirit with my soon to be three year old. She loved the cruise. SHe enjoyed kids crew when she went, but did not beg to go like some people say their kids do. She went about four times on our six day cruise. They always did a great job with her and she would often come back with her face painted. She loved Blues CLues morning, the unbirthday party where they celebrate everyones birthday and cookies with the Captain. A few things that they don't tell you are as follows :

1. Maybe I'm just worry too much, but one thing that made me feel comfortable with her in kids crew as that she was in the kids area where she could not get out and no one could get in. ( Hey I even worried when my Husband and I went to le Bestro and my inlaws were walking around the ship with her) Anyway, I was in my cabin on deck ten and heard kids siging going by. Apparentaly kids crew takes the children on parades around the ship. WHile the children looked very cute in their Blue's Clues ears there were about 35 children and three supervisors. Maybe if my daughter was older, but she is not yet three and I thought that was not appropriate. They kids crew counsleors looked at me like I has two heads. They told me if they had known I didn't want her to leave they could keep her with a counselor in kinds crew. My response was that no one told me that they left the area. So if you don't feel comfortable with the kids parading around the ship, tell them ahead of time and your kinds won't go. I spoke to several other mothers and none of them knew the children left kids crew either.

2. With cookies with the captain, the children actually get their picture taken with the Capatin. Those pictures are avalaible to purchase in the photo gallery ( Again no one told me until I asked)

3. Don't miss the pirate activities on the private island. Our curise was the first time they did it and my daughter loved it. It was done at night, the children were made up as pirates and they had a treasure hut. She loved it.

The pool area was very fun and she enjoyed the water slides. She also had fun in the wading pool playing withh her toys. I did however see two adults using the wading pool. Something I had never seen before. The attendant does ask adults without children to exit the children's pool.

Finally, my daughther liked to do to the Stardust lounge and dance on the dance floor to Jose and Patti in the early evening. Usually she was the only one dancing. One night she even found a little dance partner.

Overall she had a great cruise. She eat in the dining room with us almost everynight. For the most part she was pretty well behaved ( With the help of her video now Jr. ) We had a great time and she had a blast. And by the way there were virtually no lines at Disney.

I will try to answer any questions anyone has.

IMy grand daughter is 5, so anyone that has sailed with a child, can you fill me in on what we need to do? I know I read in different reviews about a sign up?

Hi Judy

Sounds like you are referring to the kids club. Yes, there will be a meeting (signup) on the first night. My kids are past the club-but they enjoyed it (shall I say loved it) when they were younger. I recall several struggles just getting them away from the other kids for a while! And don't forget that the counselors are not included in any tip pools ;) . There are lots of age appropriate activities for all the younguns

-Monte

Hi Judy

Sounds like you are referring to the kids club. Yes, there will be a meeting (signup) on the first night. My kids are past the club-but they enjoyed it (shall I say loved it) when they were younger. I recall several struggles just getting them away from the other kids for a while! And don't forget that the counselors are not included in any tip pools ;) . There are lots of age appropriate activities for all the younguns

-Monte

I didn't realize the counselors weren't in on the tip pools! If I was thinking ;) I would have realized that not all passengers use the Kid's Club, therefore they shouldn't be included in the tip pool. I feel terrible now for not giving them something. Oh well, next time, I guess.

Judy,

You're going again, good for you! I'm so jealous. I hope you have a great time with your family:)!

Mary

Yeah. Jerry can't make this one.So it's just me my daughter, son in law and grand daughter.

My daughter wasn't going to vacation this year due to moving from Maryland to Virginia in June. She called me up and said Mom we want you to go on a cruise with us in Nov. I couldn't say no as this is their first cruise.

I feel really blessed this year. It took some planning and begging, lol to get off for a 10 day cruise in Nov. I sure hope it dosen't snow that week!!!!

Archived