Help - Hair

liverpool-lou

This board has some great tips, ok here is my question;

Do any of you have any suggestions as to the best type of spray/gel to use in the warmer tropical climates, particularly where the humidity is quite high. In the past in the Caribbean i spend ages doing my hair for port days only to look as though i have been dragged through a hedge backwards 10mins after stepping off the ship:mad:

Its no problem on the ship with the air-con, bearing in mind i am from the uk, so humidity is not a problem here :D

btw, our next cruise is to Hawaii next April, having a day in San Diego, so would love to be able to pick up some products there? any suggestions?

cheers

Mo :)

I have fine, straight, flat hair and even though I was a hair stylist for 15 years, I have no idea what works or doesn't work as far as products go. Any product you use will be temporary and if you happen to swim or get caught in the rain, there goes the hair. I've given up on my hair looking good in these conditions and simply pull it back into a pony.

However, I don't know if you have the Japanese Hair Straightening system in the UK, it would perhaps interest you to look into it. I've seen hair straightened with this method, it is absolutely beautiful. If you do choose this method, you need to find a highly qualified person to perform the service. It lasts from 6 months to a year, so you don't want to experiment with a "cheap" version. Here is a personal experience link (not mine :) ) http://www.businessseek.biz/article-directory/article-367.html

Another suggestion I would have is to get a really great haircut that works with your curl or wave and stop fighting your natural hair. Life can be so much easier when we stop fighting for what we don't have and accept what we are given as natural.

I have a two friends (they are sisters) who have had this straightening process done. I know they paid $$$ for it. It ruined their hair. The new growth was very obvious. Both of these women have excessively curly and frizzy hair. One of their daughters also has had it done. Hers looks so much better than her mom and aunt. Could be because she has 20-something hair and the adults are mid 40s and early 50s and color treated as well. But, the younger woman's hair was never as curly and frizzy as the more mature women. They have longish hair (the young girl has very long hair) and it looks very thin and damaged. This could also be the result of years and years of torturing their hair!

I never have had luck with my frizzy curly hair staying smooth on a cruise. In past years, I have had very short hair. It has been growing out for nearly a year. I'm able to keep it looking smooth at home, but the true test will be in November when we go on our cruise. I have been using Kerastase product in my hair and think it has really helped. My hairdresser thinks that it is much easier to style now. I use a (I think it is called Oleo Relax) oil on my towel-dried hair before I dry it. It looks so much better than without. If I use my flatiron to assure smooth and frizzless hair.

--Judy

We live in Florida, so the heat & humidity are a year-round problem. I buy Aussie 12 Hour D-Humidifer Hair Spray. My hair is baby fine and tends to just be super limp in humidity, but this holds quite well. You should be able to find it in almost any drug store or grocery store!

I also have a Redken hair spray with UV protection that I purchased at the salon, and is supposed to help with humidity, and it is HORRIBLE. My hair was super sticky and generally looked greasy as soon as I put that on. So in this case, it could be that the less expensive product is better.

We live in Florida, so the heat & humidity are a year-round problem. I buy Aussie 12 Hour D-Humidifer Hair Spray. My hair is baby fine and tends to just be super limp in humidity, but this holds quite well. You should be able to find it in almost any drug store or grocery store!

Another vote for the Aussie 12 Hour D-Humidifer Hair Spray. Also being from Florida, I am constantly fighting with my baby fine hair and the humidity. This product does work and for a lot less $ than the salon brands.

I'm an aussie with fine, limp hair and I've never heard of this "aussie hair spray"! Is it made in Australia or is that just a name? Can you give me a link? I would love to get something like that for my hair for my cruise next year through Asia and to the middle east.

Cheers

Timmi

I'm an aussie with fine, limp hair and I've never heard of this "aussie hair spray"! Is it made in Australia or is that just a name? Can you give me a link? I would love to get something like that for my hair for my cruise next year through Asia and to the middle east.

Cheers

Timmi

Aussie 12 Hour Hair Spray

from

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Aussie_12_Hour_Hair_Spray__5096947

I remembered using Aussie Sprunch spray when I was younger and loved it, so I ...

from

http://www.epinions.com/beat-Hair_Care-Styling-All-Aussie_12_Hour_Hair_Spray/display_~reviews

This board has some great tips, ok here is my question;

Do any of you have any suggestions as to the best type of spray/gel to use in the warmer tropical climates, particularly where the humidity is quite high. In the past in the Caribbean i spend ages doing my hair for port days only to look as though i have been dragged through a hedge backwards 10mins after stepping off the ship

Its no problem on the ship with the air-con, bearing in mind i am from the uk, so humidity is not a problem here

btw, our next cruise is to Hawaii next April, having a day in San Diego, so would love to be able to pick up some products there? any suggestions?

cheers

Mo

More info needed.

What kind of hair do you have? ( Curly, wavy,straight;fine,thick)

What are you going to be trying to do?( Achieve or maintain curly or straight)

Different products work different ways.....:)

Thanks!

Hi Heather

i suppose my hair is quite fine now( used to be really thick :( ) anyway i do like to try and add a bit of body to it and use curling tongs to get that added lift and fullness but as i said after 10 mins or so it just goes flat, i am thinking this year of having a really short cut ( its only about collar length now) so maybe short and spikey is the answer:D

regards

Mo

Hi Heather

i suppose my hair is quite fine now( used to be really thick :( ) anyway i do like to try and add a bit of body to it and use curling tongs to get that added lift and fullness but as i said after 10 mins or so it just goes flat, i am thinking this year of having a really short cut ( its only about collar length now) so maybe short and spikey is the answer:D

regards

Mo

Hi!

My hubbie has the same kind of problem...He uses this with great results in hight humidity.

Link: Joanthan Product: Anti Frizz Volumizinf Serum

His entire line I like... but this adds volume and resists humidity.

I would finish with an anti humidity spray such as the one described above and shown below :Aussie 12 hour D I have in my drawer as we speak.

200.jpg

It is okay.I find it works a lot better with other great products underneath, but is worth it for the price.

It can be found in any drugstore or superstore.

Nother one readily available but without volumizing additive is:

resize?sq=400&uid=411900661&mid=96771

Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Anti-Humidity Hair Spray - 8.25 OZ

These are great option for cheap. I aslo use several more expensive products, but these work well in high humidity situations long term for us.

Good Luck!

Just a general note and info/opinion...

Anytime, that you are trying to fight and change what your natural hair is, wants to do, and does naturally is a losing battle...

No product in the world is going to "change" your hair, especially in humidity...

Best thing is to just learn and accept what your hair is...

What it naturally wants to do...

What then within those limits will look good with your face shape, and get a good cut that will then adapt to any situation.

Then you can use various products that enhance what your hair wants to do naturally, and do different things with that.

If your hair does not naturally "stick and hold" with any kind of curling, combing, hot ironing, straightening, etc.; then it is simply not meant to do that.

Find what cut and style works best for your natural tendency of your hair, and go with that.

You will be so much happier in the long run, when you learn to work with your strengths, instead of fighting your weaknesses.

Just sayin'

Take it or leave it.;)

CJW:D

I think I have a better idea now, at first I was thinking you were trying to tame thick, curly hair in humidity.

I already said it and it looks like Curt has put it into a few more words :) , get a great haircut and live with your natural hair. Some layering will definitely help.

When I'm in extreme heat or humidity, I know exactly what my hair will do, regardless of the cut or product I use, so I pull it back into a pony, pinning the wayward bits in, wear a visor and forget about it. Vacation time in the Caribbean (or vacation anywhere!) is too precious to be wasted worrying about hair and makeup.

The pics from these situations are my worst, but make me the happiest.

Totally agree with CJW.....don't try and make your hair do something it won't or isn't meant to do. I have moderately curly hair and it can be a blessing but then again in a strong wind, it will "look like I've been dragged backwards through a hedge." Mo....love that description!

Once in Atlanta, Georgia, while visiting friends, I used a hairspray that must have reacted to the humidity there during the winter and my hair was covered with tiny white blobs! You do have to be careful about some of the products and how they react.

Have been using Jonathan Hair Products for a while now and they are superior to anything I've ever used.

Not that you have curly hair......but my suggestion is to go with whatever your natural hair is. Wearing a hat of some kind in the tropics is always smart and if you do that your hair should be tamed......at least during the day. Here's a hint for eliminating "hat hair"......pull up the hair around the front of your face and put it into one of those pincher hair clips (doesn't have to be a big one), then put on the hat. When you take it off you will not have flat hair.

Once again thanks to all who have given me some really good advice, i have made a decision to go and get it cut next week, something quite short, lots of layers that way if i dont like it at least i have another 6 months to my cruise.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not stressing over my hair, as long as i have a great time on holiday :D , hey after a 'cosmo' or 4, dont really think i will be too bothered what my hair looks like,;)

Hope you all have a great cruise whenever and wherever you sail :)

Mo

Wise words, Curt!

I have finally given up fighting the curl. If I wear my hair super-short I have to style it, so under the careful supervision of my new (in the past year) hairdresser I'm growing it out. I am finally (one year) past the phase of looking as if I can't pass an electrical outlet without sticking my fingers in it! I'm not fighting the grey, either, but as it gets longer I wonder if I should. Nah.....

Archived