Upgrading at pier on Crown Princess

burger40

Has anyone ever been able to ungrade at the pier when boarding the Crown Princess....and if not on the pier...how about once you boarded at the guest relations desk
I have never read or heard of anyone upgraded at the pier. Most of the time, there's a sign at the pursar's desk saying that the ship is full and no upgrades or changes are available.

I have never read or heard of anyone upgraded at the pier. Most of the time, there's a sign at the pursar's desk saying that the ship is full and no upgrades or changes are available.

I can tell you from experience, each purser's desk puts this sign up whether the sailing is full or not. If you really want to check, stand in line and ask. I always wondered if they did this just so that when passengers actually find out just how small ships cabins are, it keeps them from bogging down the line the first day trying to find a larger cabin. LOL

Most ships are sailing full. Just keep checking the available cabins for your sailing, online, to see how many are left when you board.

When you're onboard go to the Pusor's Desk. They will know right before sail off time if someone did not show up and there may be a remote chance a cabin or 2 will come open.

I can tell you from experience, each purser's desk puts this sign up whether the sailing is full or not. If you really want to check, stand in line and ask. I always wondered if they did this just so that when passengers actually find out just how small ships cabins are, it keeps them from bogging down the line the first day trying to find a larger cabin. LOL

True, the sign goes up regardless. ;)

Sandytoes said to just keep checking to see what cabins are still available. I think this must be a stupid question, but how do you do that? Why have I not found this capability in all my hours surfing the web and reading things about cruises:rolleyes: ???

So this might be a stupid question but I have never tried for a balcony guarantee. What I have booked so far is a BF guarantee on the Crown. I have also never sailed on Princess so I'm not sure how they differ from Carnival in this regard.

Anyhow, from what I understand, guaranteeing a BF should ensure me at least BF or better. Since there are only 4 BF cabins I'm thinking my chances might be good for an upgrade. I have read there are differences in the privacy and size of the balconies depending on deck, etc. Is there a way to find out about this, other than reading board posts? Also, are there things I'm not thinking of or disadvantages to what I've booked? Thanks

You're really better off asking your questions about the difference in balcony cabins and locations here. The Princess web site has general information but doesn't always highlight the differences. For the most part, the interiors of the basic cabin configurations are mostly the same, but there always seem to be a few oddballs in every category.

A good example are the aft-facing balcony cabins. Some are more desirable than others by being on the corner, for example, while others have a vertical beam that some find undesirable.

When I was on the Adventure of the Seas, I went to the Safety Officer's talk. He told us that there are ALWAYS empty cabins on a ship. Capacity is determined by the total number of passengers and not the number od cabins. In other words, during the summertime when alot of families are travelling, alot of cabins will be configured for 3 or 4. Fewer cabins will need to be filled in order to reach maximum capacity which is determined by the Coast Guard. Can't have more passengers than life boats. Remember the Titanic?

The Crown really is going out full on most cruises.

The Nov. 4 cruise has ALL cabins showing as waitlisted.

In fact, they stopped taking group reservations before March because the ship was so booked way back then.

I think the chances of being upgraded totally depend on the ship - some may not be fully booked and others really are.

Archived