Wireless Maritime Service - Mobile calls at sea

young pensioner

Within the pack of documents received recently from Regent, there is a leaflet called 'Keeping You Connected at Sea!'. Has anyone used this service?

Our mobile phone provider is Orange, who don't appear to have any knowledge. Does anyone have experience of the WMS? If so, were call costs within reason?

We used it on Voyager with a Cingular service Blackberry. It worked almost all the way around the world with only a few service blackouts. It's great. It was about $2.49/minute for phone calls. Supposedly, the system should be turned off in port, but be careful, because it frequently was not. Why pay $2.49/minute when you could pay much less for a local carrier? Does your phone allow you to "roam" and use service from other carriers than Orange? That may allow you to use this service. Good luck, Debbie

Does your phone allow you to "roam" and use service from other carriers than Orange? That may allow you to use this service. Good luck, Debbie

Hi Debbie

Thanks very much for your advice. Yes, both our phones use the roaming service whenever we are away from home. Do you know if text messaging can be used and if so, how that is charged?

I think that it depends on your service provider, etc. But, we did get both text messaging and emails on the Blackberry. We don't really use text messaging, so I don't really know the cost for text messaging, only that it was an extra charge about 20 cents to receive. Our service agreement covered data service worldwide included in a flat monthly fee, so there was no extra charge for emails. Have you tried the website:

http://www.wirelessatsea.com/cruiselines_purserinfo.htm

Good luck, Debbie

Thank you again Debbie for your help and advice.

We are departing next week for our very first cruise and I must say that everyone on this site has been 6* in providing expertise and information in many ways. We feel much more confident that we are more prepared for the wonderful experience ahead. We hope that it will be the first of many, since we are just recently retired!! ;)

This is a frightening topic ...

We were recently on a cruise that had WMS and had great fears about having to listen to folks jabbering in the dining venues. Fortunately it did not happen, either because people were just discovering the service or because cruise people are just a courteous lot ... I like to think the latter.

The really frightening one is that airlines are considering activation of the service ... which will most likely yield air rage incidents. I truly hope this never comes to pass.

We were recently on a cruise that had WMS and had great fears about having to listen to folks jabbering in the dining venues. Fortunately it did not happen, either because people were just discovering the service or because cruise people are just a courteous lot ... I like to think the latter.

Hello Kane.

I do understand your concerns.

However, first and foremost, let me assure you that we are of the variety who would never consider even taking a mobile phone to a dining venue. Our only contact with our family whilst away from home would only ever be in the privacy of our cabin.

Thank you for your contribution and opinion. That is exactly what this site is about!

If you're a gold or platinum cruiser you get free phone service from the ship. As gold members we get 2 hours of free phone service.

I believe (will know within the month:) ) that the free phone service is using the ship's phone in the cabin and that it has nothing to do with the wireless service other than to save about $150 an hour! (Actaully, I seem to recall that the quoted rates for the ship's phone last year was something truly ridiculous like $16/minute so this Seven Seas Society benefit is worth $960/hour!)

• 11 months later...
I used Skype on the Voyager earlier this year including in mid ocean. There was a delay - like to old ship to shore calls - but still a good situation.

Peggy

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any updated info on this overall topic? Skype looks like a good way to go for an occasional call, but then I read this in another thread from Feb, 2007.

My biggest disappointment is that RSSC has cut off all streaming web sites or programs...so we can no longer use Skype to talk to and see our kids on the east and west coasts. We do now have one hour of phone service per segment, so we have made brief calls to them and Karen's sister.

Archived