Cabin Category ??'s

hamptod

All you cruise experts out there, can you explain to me the differences in cruise categories. For example, why is an 8H better than an 8a. I just don't understand all the nuances of the different categories. I'm trying to get educated on the differences.

thx

Deborah

If you go to http://www.cruisestateroom.com, you can see specifics on various cabin types. Basically it's like this:

cabin type - inside(no window), outside (window), balcony, suite (bigger)

size - The bigger (more square footage) the better

location - Higher up on the ship is better than down low. Also being midship is better than being all the way in fron or back.

When you combine all of these parameters, you end up with 20 or 30 different categories (all at different prices).

Remember also that all cruiselines have different category names and numbers. If there is a specific cruiseline you want info on, you should post on the Cruise Critic board dedicated to that line.

Review deck plans in the brochures. You will note that on most ships now, category, say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, are identical. By and large, what makes a difference is the LOCATION of the cabins. Maybe the 4, 5, or 6 categories are more midship (better riding location) and/or closer to stairs/elevator even though the cabins themselves are the same, and even the same as the lower 1, 2, and 3 categories. If these factors are important to you, keep them in mind. The next several categories again may be identical, but again, in a location or on a deck that might be more desirable to you. On the larger ships, it can be quite walk to the pool, lounge, dining room etc. And again, if this is an important factor to you, take note. As a previsous poster noted, the basic types of cabins are "inside" no window, "outside" a window, balcony and suite. Many inside and outside cabins are indentical (other than the window or not) and sometimes a balcony cabin, other than the fact that there is a balcony, the cabin itselft is not different either. Like I said, look at deck plans for specifc ships you might be contemplating and review the cabin locations, descriptions, layouts and proximity to things that are important to you. For the highest categories, if a larger separate sitting area , dining area, and maybe certain perks that come with it are important to you, they will have them, and all of the imformation will be elaborated on in the brochures.

Deborah, Cruisestateroom is a great site to compare cabins and decks. Usually, the higher the category, the more desirable the location. You have to decide what is most important for your needs. Some people like to be on a higher deck, some people like to be closer to the elevators. For, us, I always try to find a cabin that is not under or above an entertainment deck, nor under the pool. With todays larger ships, many prefer to be mid ship to be closer to each end of the ship. Some people love to be aft, sometimes the balconys on the cabins there are a lot larger than the balconys port or starboard.

So, before you select a cabin, check out the deck level below and above your deck. Before you make a choice, remember many times there is not much difference in the size of the cabins until to reach the suite level or go to the cheapest inside cabin.

Deb: to confuse you even further. Each cruise lines have their own cabin categories. I have not seen two that are the same. The most confusing to me is Princess and Royal. Only Royal =because they changed categories within the last year.

Review deck plans in the brochures. You will note that on most ships now, category, say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, are identical. By and large, what makes a difference is the LOCATION of the cabins. Maybe the 4, 5, or 6 categories are more midship (better riding location) and/or closer to stairs/elevator even though the cabins themselves are the same, and even the same as the lower 1, 2, and 3 categories. If these factors are important to you, keep them in mind. The next several categories again may be identical, but again, in a location or on a deck that might be more desirable to you. On the larger ships, it can be quite walk to the pool, lounge, dining room etc. And again, if this is an important factor to you, take note. As a previsous poster noted, the basic types of cabins are "inside" no window, "outside" a window, balcony and suite. Many inside and outside cabins are indentical (other than the window or not) and sometimes a balcony cabin, other than the fact that there is a balcony, the cabin itselft is not different either. Like I said, look at deck plans for specifc ships you might be contemplating and review the cabin locations, descriptions, layouts and proximity to things that are important to you. For the highest categories, if a larger separate sitting area , dining area, and maybe certain perks that come with it are important to you, they will have them, and all of the imformation will be elaborated on in the brochures.

This helps alot!! I have been looking at the Carnival "Spirit" class of ships and couldn't figure out the difference in the 8X category. Now it makes sense.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Deborah

Carnival is about the easiest to understand.

4 are all inside

6 are all oceanview (window)

8 are all balconies. (I's are exteneded balconies)

11 and 12 are suites.

then some ships have category 5A 7 A or 9A

(5 and 7 are obstructed) 9 A are larger balconies

the letter after the number tells you what deck its on. the higher the letter the higher the deck.

Archived