Question In Regards to R-Class Ships

patval

Hello and good evening everyone I hope everyone had a great and safe weekend!

We just finished looking for the third time (I can not help myself) at the 08 sailings and my (future wife October 7, 06) and I fell in love with the Rotterdam sailing in April I believe to Egypt, Israel, Turkey, and some of X-Soviet cpuntries. we really wanted to to try a PH and saw these ships have 4 of them and I was just like do they really sell them out each sailing because that is amazing to have 4 PH for a HAL when I believe the Vista only have 2 and the S-class has two as well but I can be wrong.

Also does anyone have any thoughts or pictures of the Rotterdam or even better of the Suites. I tried Cruise Clues but the pictures are dated back to 04 before the SOE add ons.

Thank you,

Paul

ROTTERDAM is the only HAL ship with four PH suites.

There are two on AMSTERDAM and the Vista-class ships, and one on all the others ships (VOLENDAM/ZAANDAM, PRINSENDAM and the S-class ships).

I can only assume that four was considered "too many" since they built AMSTERDAM with only two.

ROTTERDAM is a really nice ship, if she goes somewhere you'd like to go, by all means take her. I have no reservations at all in recommending her.

Thank you Host Doug for the insight and I wonder why they put 4 on her that makes no sense at all because yes it is a premium line but it is not all inclusive where Oceania, Silver Seas, and Seabourn could sale those without an issue.

Paul

Thank you Host Doug for the insight and I wonder why they put 4 on her that makes no sense at all because yes it is a premium line but it is not all inclusive where Oceania, Silver Seas, and Seabourn could sale those without an issue.

Paul

Probably, since Rotterdam was built as the flagship of the fleet, IIRC, they thought there would be more dignitariesand such that would need PH accomodations.

I went to a party in the penthouse on the Rotterdam and all I can say is WOW! One of my screen saver pictures was taken at that party---it is of about 20 of us in the living room.

The view out of the floor-ceiling windows was spectacular. There's a dining room, and the bedroom is totally separate.

It was empty for the return part of the voyage.

I wasn't upgraded to it. :( From my inside guaranteed share. :( :(

If you book the penthouse you might never want to go in to the ports! And you will be forever spoiled.

Go for it!

Thank you Host Doug for the insight and I wonder why they put 4 on her that makes no sense at all

I guess they figured they could sell that many, since she was designed to do World Cruises and Grand Voyages (though most of these are done by AMSTERDAM and PRINSENDAM now) where there might be more demand for penthouses.

because yes it is a premium line but it is not all inclusive where Oceania, Silver Seas, and Seabourn could sale those without an issue.

Actually, the mass-market and "premium" lines often have top-end suites that are larger than the ones on the luxury ships. Right now the biggest suites are on NCL, which is about as mass-market as it gets.

I should also point out Oceania is a non-all-inclusive, "super-premium" (not luxury) line. In the marketplace, it sits just above HAL and Celebrity and just below Crystal. (Crystal is considered "luxury" but is also not all-inclusive and is less expensive than Regent, Seabourn or Silversea.)

http://www.virtualtoursusa.com has 2 good 'tours' of the Penthouse on the Statendam- one of the interior PHouse rooms and one showing the verandah. It is identical to the PHouse we were put in to on the Rotterdam (when our suite had a water leak). The SOE enhancements involved bedding, flat screen tv's, etc. and not the configuration of the PHouse itself. Oosterdam and Zuiderdam's are different, so just look at the Statendam. You will love the Rotterdam, I'm sure. We did.

Archived