Zuiderdam - Balcony Door and other ?

taszmom

Longtime cruiser, new to HAL...on other ships I bring a bungee cord to hold the balcony door open. I am in a Cat BA on the Zuiderdam...do the doors have a way of staying open on their own? is there something I can attach the bungee cord to in order to keep the door open?

Also, can you prepay your gratuities with final payment on HAL? I didn't seeing anything about this on their website.

Has anyone ordered the 4/6 bottle wine package? How does it work? Do you get to choose red or white, grape varietal etc.?

Are you refering to the balcony door of the cabin or the door that opens between two connecting balconies? If you are talking about the door that opens to connect two balconies then yes they do latch open on the Zuiderdam. Don't recall if there was a way to latch the cabin balcony door open however.

I must caution you on this, when you hold the balcony door open for any length of time, it raises havoc with the air conditioning system in not only your cabin, but others as well.

I was referring to the balcony door from the stateroom. I like it open during the night, love breathing in that fresh ocean air all night. On the CCL Legend the a/c would shut off in the room automatically whenever the balcony door was open for any length of time. Plus I'm going in October...the temps are much cooler in the evening so I can't imagine it would cause that much of a problem with the a/c.

You might discuss it with your cabin steward or a supervisor in housekeeping and see if it will affect other rooms' a/c. Many problems in a contained environment like a ship come from pax doing something w/out knowing all the consequences. The a/c may be the reason the doors are not the kind that can be adjusted to stay open w/out your own bungee cord.

Let me rephrase my question...after asking permission from the ship's authorized personnel to insure that keeping the balcony door does not adversely effect the a/c on the ship or discomfort anyone in anyway...is there someway to prop open the balcony door?

Isn't there a sign on the balcony door requesting that the door be kept closed as it affects the air conditioning? I am almost positive that I have seen this on many of the HAL ships we have been on.

Earlier to-day this was part of a post from a cruiser who just returned from the Zuiderdam.

"the AC got over loaded and it took a while to cool down. Most of the week it was fine. I did see that the jackasses who were in adjoining cabins near us on the Rotterdam deck, kept their verandah doors open and their room door open to the hall. That zapped the AC really quickly a couple of times.

Any time we have sailed in October, the evenings definitely have not been cooler and we were so glad to have the AC on.

Taszmom, I had a balcony cabin on the Ryndam and no, there was no way to keep the balcony door open, even if you had a bungee cord, probably for a very good reason. Not sure about the newer ships.

Esme-

I believe you are correct - the Zuiderdam cabin we were in had a sign requesting the door remain closed at all times.

taszmom-

The A/C on any ship can problematic. It is a challenge for the maintenance staff to keep things working properly.

I would definitely check with the steward or front desk before doing something like this... I don't think anyone is trying to flame you - please don't take this the wrong way.

However, in response to your question, I don't recall any way to keep the door open, if I remember it was kind of a pneumatically (sp?) sealed type of door - where it would automatically slowly close & latch - but I could be wrong.

Trying to keep it open might like trying to keep the automatic door at the supermarket open... ;)

tazsmom-

Sorry, your other questions seemed to have gotten overlooked...

I think there are others who might be able to say for certain, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to pre-pay your gratuities. It sounds like a good idea to me - one that I'd definitely take advantage of it is offered. I will be checking with my TA - she might know.

I believe the wine package can be choosen from a list of wines through HAL's Ship Services. A couple weeks ago there were many postings about the great deal on wines through ship services. Since the change in policy regarding liquor, we have pre-ordered all our liquor and have not been disappointed. I'm sure someone who has recently purchased the wine package will post about it - if not call HAL's Ship Services. The 800 number is on their web-site.

We had a balcony cabin on the navigation deck and tried to hold open the door with a bungee cord, but found that we did not want to do it. The wind was very strong and I do not think that it would have stayed open. It would have bounced back and forth. But just take one and try it for yourself. You may have better luck than we did. Thanks and enjoy your cruise.

The A/C on any ship can problematic. It is a challenge for the maintenance staff to keep things working properly.

I would definitely check with the steward or front desk before doing something like this... I don't think anyone is trying to flame you - please don't take this the wrong way.

Taszmom - I am a bit of a rebel when it comes to ship policies - but I don't think I would break this one because of the problems it may cause your neighbors

As to prepaying tips - not sure why you would want to (and give HAL the use of your $ in advance) - but I am sure its possible if you contact HAL directly

Archived