Carnival Customer Service

mrdood

Had the zipper on one of our bags completely destroyed on boarding our Imagination cruise 9/11, read my cruise contract to get the details on what their liability is, which I knew was limited to $50, fine, just said we needed to file a claim and gave a number for me to call.

I kind of thought I should go to the Pursers desk and show them, but thought nawwwww, I am on vacation, but I did take picture of the damage in our stateroom on the bed and backed up to show that it was in our stateroom - so I could send them pics and prove we had damage on board - logically thinking, that would be the same damage we could show one of the pursers.

Well I called Guest Relations the week after we got back, I was told I was out of luck, because I had to report it on board. I told them I understand you just can't have everyone claiming that the bag was damaged, which is why I am happy to send them pictures proving as much as could be proved on board that it happened at embarkation. I was told they could do nothing and had no liability. I explained to them about their contract and liability and that it said nothing about "requiring" me to report it on board - in fact, it gives a number to call and I called it. They started to get rude, I asked for a supervisor - the supervisor was not even willing to listen and was very short and seemed bothered that I had asked for a supervisor.

Anyway, leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, we have cruised three times with them in the last 9 months and are stock holders and were looking at two more for next year, we spend quite a bit on board - but they won't take ownership for their liability - will I cruise Carnival again - of course, will they get my money on my next cruise - no they will not.

What is the point of having a contract if they are going to just make up their own rules, that are not spelled out in the contract - I can prove I was on board with the damage, but they don't care.

So, I guess the lesson I wanted to convey, if you have a problem, no matter what, take care of it on board if you can... I have known that, but I thought they would be at least willing to receive the photos and make a judgement call - but absolutely positively NOT!

Had the zipper on one of our bags completely destroyed on boarding our Imagination cruise 9/11, read my cruise contract to get the details on what their liability is, which I knew was limited to $50, fine, just said we needed to file a claim and gave a number for me to call.

I kind of thought I should go to the Pursers desk and show them, but thought nawwwww, I am on vacation, but I did take picture of the damage in our stateroom on the bed and backed up to show that it was in our stateroom - so I could send them pics and prove we had damage on board - logically thinking, that would be the same damage we could show one of the pursers.

Well I called Guest Relations the week after we got back, I was told I was out of luck, because I had to report it on board. I told them I understand you just can't have everyone claiming that the bag was damaged, which is why I am happy to send them pictures proving as much as could be proved on board that it happened at embarkation. I was told they could do nothing and had no liability. I explained to them about their contract and liability and that it said nothing about "requiring" me to report it on board - in fact, it gives a number to call and I called it. They started to get rude, I asked for a supervisor - the supervisor was not even willing to listen and was very short and seemed bothered that I had asked for a supervisor.

Anyway, leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, we have cruised three times with them in the last 9 months and are stock holders and were looking at two more for next year, we spend quite a bit on board - but they won't take ownership for their liability - will I cruise Carnival again - of course, will they get my money on my next cruise - no they will not.

What is the point of having a contract if they are going to just make up their own rules, that are not spelled out in the contract - I can prove I was on board with the damage, but they don't care.

So, I guess the lesson I wanted to convey, if you have a problem, no matter what, take care of it on board if you can... I have known that, but I thought they would be at least willing to receive the photos and make a judgement call - but absolutely positively NOT!

You mean you did not do a proper CC "search" so you would know the answer??

Sorry, I could not resist. You are absolutely correct. If reporting it while on the ship is required, it should be spelled out. I am sure there is some "legal" term where the cruiseline is allowed to "assume" someone with damage would do so. But hey you were on vacation and dealing with stuff like that is not what we go on vacation for.

Personally, I would file a complaint with Guest Relations at:

Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival Place

3655 NW 87 Avenue

Miami, Fl. 33178-2428

Explain it NICELY (you know what I mean) and see if they can give you some assistance.

I know I keep them busy with referrals, but that is what they are there for.

I too own CCL stock and I want them to honor their commitments. (whether it is a $2,000 cruise or a $50 zipper) It is just the principle of the thing!

I haven't even been on my cruise yet, and I am very upset with the customer service that I have "not" had...Our booking agent wont even reply to our e-mails with questions about the cruise. Not to mention that countless rude people I have talked to on the phone just trying to figure out what I am suppose to do before this cruise...I hope that this does not spoil the cruise experiance for us before we even set sail..! We are trying to make the best of it, but feel like Carnival has not done there part well at all...Just a vent, sorry....

I haven't even been on my cruise yet, and I am very upset with the customer service that I have "not" had...Our booking agent wont even reply to our e-mails with questions about the cruise. Not to mention that countless rude people I have talked to on the phone just trying to figure out what I am suppose to do before this cruise...I hope that this does not spoil the cruise experiance for us before we even set sail..! We are trying to make the best of it, but feel like Carnival has not done there part well at all...Just a vent, sorry....

That's what we are here for. Perhaps there are some questions we could answer or some procedures that we have been through that would be of benefit.

When (and on what ship) are you cruising?

Thank you!! I'm most worried about our flight back home after the cruise..We are scheduled to leave Miami at 11:40, and I have read that you should not leave before 2:00pm. We will be getting off of the Elation, and since this is our first cruise I'm afraid we wont have time to get to the airport, get checked in, and through security on time..Should I talk to someone at Carnival about this? Oh, and we did not book the flight, the cruise line did, other wise I would have made it later on in the day.

That's what we are here for. Perhaps there are some questions we could answer or some procedures that we have been through that would be of benefit.

When (and on what ship) are you cruising?

I purchase luggage on sale for just such a reason. You can get a very decent 5 or 6 piece set of luggage for $60 on sale at Mervyn's. That way, I won't be angry when something breaks or gets torn during transit.

I do have to add that maybe the zipper got torn off by the Porters, who work for the Port Authority and not Carnival. It may not even be Carnival's fault.

In any case... I wouldn't steam over it... I would just look for the next sale at Mervyn's.:D

Thank you!! I'm most worried about our flight back home after the cruise..We are scheduled to leave Miami at 11:40, and I have read that you should not leave before 2:00pm. We will be getting off of the Elation, and since this is our first cruise I'm afraid we wont have time to get to the airport, get checked in, and through security on time..Should I talk to someone at Carnival about this? Oh, and we did not book the flight, the cruise line did, other wise I would have made it later on in the day.

Don't worry, just go to the purser's desk on the first day with your flight documents and they will put in the first group to get off the ship. I know Carnival made your arrangements but don't assume the purser's desk will have that info so that is why I suggest you bring with you when you go talk to them. Also ask at that time what color the first group's tags should be, this way when you get them the last night you will know if they are right or not. If they are not right talk to your steward or if he is unavailable then a trip to the purser's again. You will be fine, now deep breath and have a great time!

Hi Mr. Dood;

I have always enjoyed your posts and have learned a LOT from them. However, reading this post, especially this part I've quoted above, and reading on this board a LOT, the information herein says that reporting on board is the way to go. Your post indicated that you thought about doing that but had second thoughts....this kind of reminds me of someone offering someone advice or information but not following it themselves because they think, "Oh, that will never happen to me", or "No, it will be different for me, I'm sure..." All of which is human nature, of course. I've learned a big lesson from your post and I'm sure you have too.

I do agree that if Carnival wants something reported on ship they should put that in writing because, as we know, not everyone is fortunate enough to come here first. :) We read about their problems after the fact usually with a post numbered 1.

We had a new set of luggage (not cheap) used for the first time on our Ecstacy cruise. We gave our luggage to the porters and when we saw it next the biggest piece had red paint smeared all over it. We reported it to the Pursers desk and we were not able to get any compensation for it. They finally told us to write corporate when we got home. We did but never even got an answer. After that episode we started buying the cheap luggage.

We had a piece of luggage damaged by Carnival. One we had left outside our door the night before we got off. The handle and wheels were broken so that the suitcase would not roll. We reported it someone in the luggage claim area. They gave us a piece of paper to call Carnival w/ a claim number once we got home. We called and were told to buy a new piece of luggage and send them the receipt and we would be reimbursed. It took a while... but... we did get a check a few months later.

I only buy cheap luggage now too. Too many place have ruined a piece in the past. Had a hotel in Vegas ruin one while brining to our room. They wouldn't do anything.

You mean you did not do a proper CC "search" so you would know the answer??

Why did I know I would hear that :) , actually I did logon during the cruise, but only bought a 30min package to print boarding passes and send some e-mails and bam - the 30min were gone - or I would have searched....;) and I understand where they are coming from, but that is why I took pictures, I thought they would at least listen to plea...

I purchase luggage on sale for just such a reason. You can get a very decent 5 or 6 piece set of luggage for $60 on sale at Mervyn's. That way, I won't be angry when something breaks or gets torn during transit.

I am with you, in fact this is a nice medium roller bag, I paid $25 for, part of not really worrying about the bag was that it has probably been on 75 or so trips in the last couple years, with work and play both - it is my main bag - but has definitely paid for itself... I was not even bothered about my loss until I spoke with Carnival - I was really hoping for a token $25 on board credit letter - or bottle of champagne,then I break even.

We are trying to make the best of it, but feel like Carnival has not done there part well at all...Just a vent, sorry....

That is all I am doing also - just venting, you will have a fantastic cruise, even if the home office does suck!!!

Your post indicated that you thought about doing that but had second thoughts....this kind of reminds me of someone offering someone advice or information but not following it themselves because they think, "Oh, that will never happen to me", or "No, it will be different for me, I'm sure..."

Isn't that the truth - and of course I never buy cruise insurance, my health insurance does cover me internationally, even for transport, I am relatively young and strong, and if I miss a ship, I know what the cost is and am prepared to eat it. ...but nothing like that will EVER happen to me:rolleyes: - knock on wood!

Thanks - I feel better having vented, and Carnival has not heard the last of me, thanks for the address LHP... They were supposed to have written me a letter, but who knows where that is.

...and no there is not a Carnival Vent forum where this belongs rather than here - I was surprised one of my friends didn't hit me with that one;)

MrDood,

You knew what to do and you didn't do it. As a stockholder, do you want CCL to issue a $50. check to all and anybody that asks? Probably not.

Does CCL cust.ser. suck? Sure it does, just like every other company on the planet. Don't know when or why, but its obvious that CS has become the garbage dump for entry level min. wage people by all companies.

So we know we MUST do all we can think of to grease the skids of any situation. And that has always included not leaving it to fester. Do it now is something you know and knew.

Hope your rant made you feel better

Sorry yer bag got ruint, musta been them damnd dockworkers thot ya dint tip enuff.

:rolleyes: :)

Dan

Dan

This may help: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Transfers__Miami.aspx

After reading some of the comments here, I feel that my DW and myself must be very blessed. We have never ran into rude people either on the ship or with Carnival itself. We always go though our PVP and she will direct us to the proper people to speak to and she always asks us to let her know and happen. Once, we have had a problem with a canceled port and I called Customer Service and they would not help. I called my PVP about what happen with CS and she had them call us back and gave us 50.00 OBC.

I don't know if we are the exception to the rule, but we always have a pleasant experience with Carnival.

And no, I did not do a search!:D

mrdood,

Had you gone to the pursur desk here is what probably would have happen:

Pursur: Sir, you need to handle this when you are ashore with the home office.

Then ashore,

Rep: Sir, you should of handled this while on board.

You: But I tried, they said to call when I got home.

Rep: I am sorry sir, there is nothing I can do for you. They gave you the wrong information and should have handled it on board.

You: :eek: ?????

edit: before I get flamed to bad, this is semi in jest, semi what we have seen others go thru in the past.

edit: before I get flamed to bad, this is semi in jest, semi what we have seen others go thru in the past.

No flame here, I half expected that anyway, and frankly I would have felt kind of silly standing in line at the pursers desk with my damaged bag...

Worst case scenario, I have already decided that I will pack my damaged bag inside my new bag ;) and take it with me on my next cruise, which will be my Alaska cruise on RCL (thanks to poor Carnival Customer Service) - then I will complain that it was damaged and get RCL to pay for it, that way it won't negatively impact my beloved Carnival stock...

That is total DoodLogic:D

I swear, I am going to get $50 for that $25 bag if it is the last thing I dood!

No flame here, I half expected that anyway, and frankly I would have felt kind of silly standing in line at the pursers desk with my damaged bag...

Worst case scenario, I have already decided that I will pack my damaged bag inside my new bag ;) and take it with me on my next cruise, which will be my Alaska cruise on RCL (thanks to poor Carnival Customer Service) - then I will complain that it was damaged and get RCL to pay for it, that way it won't negatively impact my beloved Carnival stock...

Surely you jest. I expected to see ;) beside your statement that

you will get RCL to pay for the damage. Seems to me you got your

moneys worth from the bag.

heck carnival isnt even good enough to honor a room I\ paid for months ago... "just beacuse the PVP told you this,were not liable to make it right" what in the world am i suppose to do be on the ship and verify what the PVp is telling me is correct. carnival supervisors are terrible, i ended up talking to the same BITTY 3 times and nothing, later i found out my PVP and her were inlaws..... watch a crock of crap......

Surely you jest. I expected to see ;) beside your statement that

you will get RCL to pay for the damage. Seems to me you got your

moneys worth from the bag.

...I guess that the wink about hauling a damaged bag on my next cruise was not enough...:rolleyes:

I say blame Henry when your on RCL cause Henry sucks.;)

MrDood, I think this thread is more appropriate for the Luggage Forum.;)

Seriously, I'm sorry that happened to your luggage. But thanks for posting about this. It has helped me in my decision NOT to buy fancier luggage. I'll just take my older stuff just in case something gets damaged. And if it does, I will just go to the Purser's desk on board. Thanks for the info. Sorry you had to endure the damage!

Archived