Princess Customer Service or lack of

BILLP1

Called today just to change my cruise request that our bed be arranged as a Queen instead of a Twin. We sail on Oct 9.

Our cruise profile stated that we could only change a request with our travel agent or dial 1,800 Princess.

We called Princess and after going through the menu requests and a five minute wait we were finally connected . We were asked our booking number, home phone and street address. Go through the whole request to the agent only to be told that our travel agent would have to call Princess to change the bed make up. I asked why Princess could not make such a simple request and that I had only followed their directions for a change and was told that is the way it is.

Big help they were.

What ever happened to " Yes sir we will gladly take care of that request. Is there anything else we can do today to help you Thank you for calling Princess".

I asked why the agent

Princess agent was correct in telling you that if you made booking with TA, they are point of contact with Princess, not you. That is what you are paying your agent for. A simple call to your TA asking for the change was all that was necessary.

This is no excuse for CS but , yes you need to ask your agent to request the switch. Although you feel a little put out, just think about it. If we book through a travel agent and the cruise lines would allow us into the loop of changes the potential to blame someone and/or everyone else would be sure to cause problems.

Putting the beds together OR separating them is no big deal. Even IF you were to board and they are not arranged to your satisfaction all you need do is ask your room steward to make the change, which the will do asap.

It isn't just Princess, phone customer service stinks with all the cruise lines I have had to deal with. It is more than made up for on board ship.

Relax.

I work for the State Government and as much as people like to point out the lack of customer service in the Public Sector, we are not allowed the lack of customer service that Princess has. I realize that the "policy" may be to contact your T/A for any changes and if I was asking for upgrades, perks, refunds, etc. I would understand. But when I went to the web site I also saw the 800 number for questions or change request. Nothing was stated about only calling your T/A. It wasn't a big deal, but that isn't the point. The operator pulled up my information, repeated to me all the details, but then tells me to contact my T/A to have my bed confirguration changed. My T/A laughed it off and stated they probably would get the someone in the next cubicle but it wasn't a problem.

But like I said, even our policy is you do everything in your power to help the caller, even if that means asking for the person in the next cubicle to make the change if you cannot. At least Princess could be clear on their web page that here is our 800 number but if you booked through someone else we can't help you with your calls. it looks as though the Princess operators have been trained by the world of Wal Mart Customer "No-Service".

It baffles me how some sweat the small stuff that can be taken care of once onboard. You shouldn't get upset about something so little, that can be changed with a few words once onboard. Personally, I wouldn't take the time out of my day to call and be put on hold for something that will be easily changed (if needed) once onboard the ship with just one word to your room steward.

I've "decided" that the way the beds are arranged in the cabin when you board is simply the way the previous occupants had the beds arranged.

I don't think it matters what it says in the Personalizer - they don't have time to be checking lists of bed preferences during switchover. :)

Yes, moving the beds is no big deal. I can do it myself (and by reading another post last month I probably would have to if i wanted it done before Tuesday).

But the point is very simple - Most businesses live and die by either providing excellent prices (Carnival/Wal Mart) or better customer service at a price (Princess/Dillards). If Princess can't or rather won't make small changes before hand at the 800 number they need to clearly state this on their web site or the documents. Of course I know that my best complaint is not on this board, but rather to the company. But I'm also smart enough to wait until after I return from my trip to send the letter. Don't want to risk a "overbooking" problem I read that someone else had on an Alaska cruise.

Companies have policies. Princess and all other cruise lines "don't touch" bookings made by a TA so that TA's can service their own clients. Princess is being supportative of the TA upon which so much of their business rides. It's not poor customer service, it's following an industry wide policy.

Yes, moving the beds is no big deal. I can do it myself (and by reading another post last month I probably would have to if i wanted it done before Tuesday).

But the point is very simple - Most businesses live and die by either providing excellent prices (Carnival/Wal Mart) or better customer service at a price (Princess/Dillards). If Princess can't or rather won't make small changes before hand at the 800 number they need to clearly state this on their web site or the documents. Of course I know that my best complaint is not on this board, but rather to the company. But I'm also smart enough to wait until after I return from my trip to send the letter. Don't want to risk a "overbooking" problem I read that someone else had on an Alaska cruise.

Anyone that has read this board, posted to this board, or has researched anything on this message board, should know that when you book through a TA, you can not make changes yourself with Princess Cruises. It is talked about all of the time, griped about all of the time, but there always seems to be someone who does not seem to know that this is a rule. Amazing! :(

But I'm also smart enough to wait until after I return from my trip to send the letter. Don't want to risk a "overbooking" problem I read that someone else had on an Alaska cruise.

This has nothing to do with your complaint. Their problem was of their own making. Quit making a mountain out of a mole hill. geez

Companies have policies. Princess and all other cruise lines "don't touch" bookings made by a TA so that TA's can service their own clients. Princess is being supportative of the TA upon which so much of their business rides. It's not poor customer service, it's following an industry wide policy.

If their web site tells you to contact this number, then the person at that number tells you they are unable to help because of policy. Then the web site is wrong and has been for a long time and it needs to be updated. that is poor customer service. I took several courses at Business School and I assure you this would have been a good case study of how NOT to provide service.

As to the other lines. Cannot speak about HAL lately, but in 2003 my wife and I were booked with early seating dinner. Her son and his fiance decided they wanted to go and booked through our same T/A not knowing we had early seating. It worked out better for them to do late seating and we wanted to eat with them so we called the 800 number for HAL and the operator did state normally we would call our T/A but it wasn't a problem and she happily took care of our seating. NOW HOW HARD WAS THAT FOR ANY DARN CRUISELINE. I'm sorry we have offended your precious Princess line, but they aren't perfect and when someone points out a fault you shouldn't so readily jump to their defense (and yes I know HAL is not perfect either).

Anyone that has read this board, posted to this board, or has researched anything on this message board, should know that when you book through a TA, you can not make changes yourself with Princess Cruises. It is talked about all of the time, griped about all of the time, but there always seems to be someone who does not seem to know that this is a rule. Amazing! :(

And what about those of us that booked with Princess and found out about the bad information on the Princess web site before we found this site.

You know I wish most of you folks would move to Georgia. I think my staff could treat and feed you crap and you'll smile and ask for more.

This has nothing to do with your complaint. Their problem was of their own making. Quit making a mountain out of a mole hill. geez

The original compliant was lack of customer service and bad information on the web. After I return I plan to submit a letter to Princess adressing those issues. My point was that anyone wishing to make a valid complaint is wasting their time here since I doubt Princess management subscribes to this site.

Bill and gelton...........chill!!!! Like everyone is saying, please deal with your TA. Every cruise line will tell you the same thing.......it's not just Princess. Please believe me when I say I certainly understand how frustrating it can be, but the cruise lines are following their policy. The bed's can be changed in a few minutes by your steward. So no more stressing..........enjoy your cruise Bill!!!:)

I understand the OP frustration but agree with others, your complaint should not have been about the process that you could not change, but the way it is indicated on the Web Site. If you really want to pursue your complaint, it should be reported (in a friendly non-confrontational matter) to include the info that if a TA is involved, to contact them instead of 1-800-PRINCESS. Getting the web site corrected would alleviate frustration to future persons in your same situation. And I understand what your saying because I teach customer service to an agency nationwide, but there's a way to get results and another that will only increase your blood pressure. Hate to say it, but it's time to cruise and forget what the bed looks like. Happy Sailing!

Web Site

For assistance with the following items call 1-800-PRINCESS.

Sign in failure to Cruise Personalizer

Corporate Affiliate Program

Report site problems or broken links

Sign in ID failure

Hope yours works out well from here.

It's true the whole T/A barrier is a hassle (with most lines). But,

The bedding deal is never something I've given a though about. If you in a cabin where the beds are convertable (the vast majority) and its not a queen when you arrive ask your steward. Like the sponge man said, it's a 5 minute conversion. In the absence of prior instruction, I've needed to ask once or twice. They get it done quick.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if this upset you so much, what would happen if something actually did not go right on your cruise? This is so minor to get so miffed about. I hope you have a great cruise with no mishaps. But learn to roll a bit with the punches, Princess isn't the only line out there that is frustrating when it comes to customer service. Relax!

But I'm also smart enough to wait until after I return from my trip to send the letter. Don't want to risk a "overbooking" problem I read that someone else had on an Alaska cruise.
:rolleyes:
It worked out better for them to do late seating and we wanted to eat with them so we called the 800 number for HAL and the operator did state normally we would call our T/A but it wasn't a problem and she happily took care of our seating. NOW HOW HARD WAS THAT FOR ANY DARN CRUISELINE. I'm sorry we have offended your precious Princess line, but they aren't perfect and when someone points out a fault you shouldn't so readily jump to their defense (and yes I know HAL is not perfect either).
Different cruise lines, different policies. Princess always is rated very high by Travel Agents as one of the best to work with. Maybe that’s because Princess protects their Travel Agent partners by only dealing with them on any issues regarding their bookings no matter how small the issue is. From Princess’ standpoint, Travel Agents are their customers as well and they probably feel they are providing excellent customer service to the Agents.

Different cruise lines, different policies. Princess always is rated very high by Travel Agents as one of the best to work with. Maybe that’s because Princess protects their Travel Agent partners by only dealing with them on any issues regarding their bookings no matter how small the issue is. From Princess’ standpoint, Travel Agents are their customers as well and they probably feel they are providing excellent customer service to the Agents.

Point well taken.. OP should relax and have a drink or something.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Relax!
I think them's fightin' words down in Georgia!

Honestly, and in all seriousness, I like the fact that someone can't just call up and make changes to a booking. Can you imagine the hassles we might run into if any Tom, Dick, or Harry could call Princess and just start changing things around?

Honestly, and in all seriousness, I like the fact that someone can't just call up and make changes to a booking. Can you imagine the hassles we might run into if any Tom, Dick, or Harry could call Princess and just start changing things around?

Stop putting ideas into my head.

I am sorry but we are also booked on Regent Mariner on March 13 2007 and also booked with our usual agent.

Never once that I have called Regents 800 number have I been told to call my agent.

I was given a polite answer and always ( twice ) had my request delt with in a polite and business like manner.

My problem is not about beds being moved , the point of my post was bad customer service and their inability to deal with a minor problem .

Their web site says call either your agent or Princess to change your requests. It does not say call you must call your agent.

What defines Customer Service?

Archived