Princess Customer Service or lack of

BILLP1

What defines Customer Service?

Different things to different people.

What you are dealing with here is a corporate policy. This is something set at the highest level and is rarely changed. That doesn't mean it has to make sense. I guess the assumption is that if you have used a travel agent, all requests should go through that agent. Is it the best way to do things? I don't know. After having a conversation with my TA about Princess' relationship with their agents (which is a whole lot better than many other lines, according to her) I can see why such a policy might be in place.

IMy problem is not about beds being moved , the point of my post was bad customer service and their inability to deal with a minor problem .

Their web site says call either your agent or Princess to change your requests. It does not say call you must call your agent.

What defines Customer Service?

That’s a darn good question. For some people, Customer Service is doing whatever the customer wants whether or not it violates policy, procedures and/or law. I don’t think that’s Customer Service, myself. There are certain policies that each business puts into place for their own specific business reasons – sometimes at the risk of perceived Customer Service, they have to follow those policies.

Perhaps in your post-cruise letter you could suggest to Princess that they better word the instructions on their website so that it’s very clear that if someone has booked with a Travel Agent, they should contact the Agent with issues.

If you really want to pursue your complaint, it should be reported (in a friendly non-confrontational matter) to include the info that if a TA is involved, to contact them instead of 1-800-PRINCESS. Getting the web site corrected would alleviate frustration to future persons in your same situation.

Or send the webmaster a note online...

Are you sure you aren't in the customer service section of your state government? I thought I recognized the demeanor... :rolleyes:

At least cruises aren't the monopoly of the state... While I'm sure they'd never miss a port regardless of weather, a seven day would probably run $10,000 for an inside! :D

I think some common sense ought to be applied. SOME things should be ok to handle through CS. I understand not allowing people to deal with upgrades or things like that. If the concern doesn't affect the pricing then the person should be allowed to talk to Princess directly.

I was in a similiar situation for our last cruise. I found out that we were not marked "no upgrades." We had the corner Aft blacony (b749) and there was NO WAY I wanted to lose that.

I called CS and was also told they needed to hear from TA....TA was not answering calls or emails for nearly 2 days...I was on pins and needles.

It all worked out, we had a lovely cruise.

Wow, I haven't been around this board for very long, but it seems like it doesn't take much here to touch a nerve or get a little nasty...

I thought we're all here because we love cruising. Maybe some people aren't as experienced AND/OR just need to vent sometimes about bad service.

Personally, I don't care what people say about what cruise lines - they all have their good and bad points and are viewed in different lights by different people. What's important to one person may not be to another.

Like in any business, on one day you may get a friendlier person at the other end of a phone line than you may get the next day. I myself made a call to Princess a few weeks ago with some questions, and the lady was very helpful and friendly. However, if I called another day, maybe I would have reached someone else, not as helpful, who maybe was just having a bad day...

What's that old saying....if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

A few things to remember. When you book thru a TA, Princess pays that TA to act on your behalf. The inference is that a) the TA needs to do the work and b) some TA's will get very upset with the cruise lines for making ANY change to the TA booking without that TA's direction specific direction because the TA 'owns' the booking. The TA is your agent, you appointed him/her when you selected the booking. Princess CR's can be in a bit of a box on this. They really need to explain it a little better to customers who call direct with requests to change a TA booking.

If you have booked through a TA then you must handle all changes/requests through that person. I called Princess the other night and the agent was very helpful and polite. The only thing I noticed was that she misspelled my name and she had all the info right in front of her. The booking is going to be turned over to my TA and I will let her deal with it all. Once we boarded the ship to find our beds in twin config and asked the steward to fix it. We left the cabin for a few minutes and when we came back it was done. Extra pillows or anything else, just ask the steward. That's what he/she is there for.

One cruise line I won't go on again unless I have no other choice (can't give up cruising) is RCL. We had booked on the Rhapsody for Nov 07 and I had to find out through this board that it was cancelled. I called the line and all they could offer me was the Voyager in Apr 08 at twice the price. I said thanks, but no thanks and give me our deposit back. I'm still waiting for it (but then it's only been a few days since I called).

What I'm saying is Princess is very good with handling requests whereas I have had to practically beg for anything on RCL ships.

It doesn't matter if it's Princess or HAL. If you booked through a travel agent, the cruiseline won't discuss your booking with you. I called HAL with a question because I wasn't receiving a response from my TA regarding my HAL cruise next summer. They were polite but wouldn't give me any information.

The flip side; you book directly with Princess and then find a lower price. That company can not go to Princess and assume your booking, you first have to authorize the release of your booking to the new agency/company. No travel agent can make changes to or assume your booking from another agency without an authorized release from the first.

Remember please, the call is FREE, except for your valuable time.

Why then when I called Princess Custome service was " press numer three if this concerns a current booking which I did and then asked by the rep my problem, then to verify my booking number , home phone number and address

all of which I did then told call your agent.

The form that I was trying to change was filled out by me on the Princess

web site months ago and when I checked this week it had a change on it not made by me.

PLEASE believe me I am not worked up about this as we have cruised many times and I fully understand how easy it is to have the room steward make the change. I was just trying to make life a little easier for that person.

I also don't think the answer is to stick with Regent . That answer shows a naive understanding of the point that I was trying to make.

We enjoy Princess and will continue to sail with them .It amazes me how many people accept poor service .

Bill, we don't accept poor service. But we have become resigned to the fact that short of sailing another line we are powerless to improve it.

It is very frustrating for sure. I cannot tell you what I have been through with my captins circle account.

This may be something that we should all put on our comment cards at the end of the cruise, since these are read.

It amazes me how many people accept poor service .

Most of us accept the little problems that are dealt to us.

We are not overdemanding. We make the best of it and enjoy our cruises. All the good things.

You have to learn to choose your battles very wisely.

And now you know that if you book with a TA and need to make last minute changes in travel arrangements not to call Princess but your TA. Simple as that.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Princess and willing to use them again.

Archived