Carnival after RC...

CJJSmith

In my opinion - and again, it's ONLY my opinion (lol)... I felt like RC was a little more upper class. To ME - that is NOT a good thing. I like the casualty of Carnival and the fun carefree attitudes of everyone. On both the RC cruises I was on there seemed to be people that were more quiet, older and looking for a classier experience. So, that made me like Carnival better. Take Bingo for example... on RC I literally fell asleep in the Bingo room - lol... it was boring. On Carnival I was dancing in the isle! And I never won on either - lol. It is true that it's all about what YOU want from a cruise experience. WHat I want is fun people in good moods regardless of what deck they are staying on. :)

Cathy

It clearly depends on the ship. I have found that three and four day cruises on any line are about the same. It is folks looking for a quick get away and to have fun. Anything goes.

On the longer cruises(seven days or more), RCI tends to be a little more sedate and layed back. There are still plenty of options for the ones that want have a good time and party. You can't beat the Voyager class ships for this. Something for everyone. As far as bingo, I like that RCI does not hold bingo before any of the shows. I'm not a fan of bingo and hated sitting in the lounge listening to them call out numbers before the shows on Carnival along with selling lottery tickets.

I think that the RCI ships themselves lend to the more upscale feeling as the decor is night and day different from Carnival. More brass and glass with a nautical feel. As far as older crowds, I would say that it again depends on the length of the cruise and the time of year that you cruise. During the spring break, summer and holidays RCI ships are filled with families just like the other mass market lines. I took a cruise on the Carnival Legend in November one year and it was mostly retired folks on board but that was in November when most kids are in school.

It's great to have so many choices to pick from. We just have to find that one that fits our needs and gives us the overall best cruise experience.:)

Sue, what ship were you on with RC? I think that the service on RC can be much better, I agree with that - and the quality overall is probably higher with RC. I think I just like the Carnival better (on the smaller ships for the 4 day cruises) because you get the lobster still and the same service as if you were on a longer cruise. I did not find that with RC being on a 7 day and a 4 day. I'm glad you had such a great experience though. I guess it all depends on what it is we are looking for in a cruise... and probably week to week the service on either line can vary.

I was on the Explorer 5 day to Bermuda. We had the lobster and it was wonderful, and live in the northeast so my comparision is maine lobster not red lobster. The atmosphere was wonderful as well as the service..This was our 10th cruise so I have a lot to compare to and I can truly say there was absolutely no comparsion in my book and it was less $ than my last Carnival ( per day ) cruise. I still stand by my original statement that RCCL wins hands down.

Food on Carnival is MUCH better. I don't like pizza but Carnival's changed my mind. (I wish Domino's delivered pizza half as good!)

Food choice was better as was presentation.

We had an aft balcony on RC and virtually no storage room. Put suitcases on HUGH balcony because there was no room inside. Under one bed were life jackets and there was a structural support or something under other bed so only one suitcase had a home. Storage on Carnival much better.

Interesting..........I will be on my first Carnival cruise in Dec. So I can't compare Carnival food to RCL, but I have been on the Coral Princess(Alaska) and Explorer food did in no way come close to the Coral Princess. I'm happy to hear that most people prefer Carnival food over RCL. The main thing I did not like on RCL was the seafood at dinner and the buffet lunch selections.

I was also on the Explorer 5 day to Bermuda in May and I also had the lobster. I thought it was TERRIBLE! Small and tasteless. I was happy I ordered two entrees that night (fillet - surf and turf) because I didn't even want to eat the lobster. ANd the shrimp in the shrimp cocktail were also small, limp and tasteless.

The rest of the food in the dining room was very good and the service was wonderful.

I am so excited! I am going on the Carnival Paradise next Monday! I've gone on Carnival 2 times before (same cruise but different ship) and then went on 2 Royal Caribbean cruises. I do NOT like the food variety on RC nor do I think the food is half as good in the dining room as it is on Carnival. I am looking forward to Carnival again... the food and the larger cabins! :)

Anyone share my opinion on the food being better on Carnival?

Cathy

Just back from RCI yesterday after 5 Carnival cruises within the past 2 years. RCI has won our vote for food and service. I think Carnival used to have excellent food - last 2 were noticably less than excellent...and struggling to reach 'good' more often than not.

Enjoy the Paradise. Sailed her back when she was non-smoking. I like the size of the Paradise. It was a good trip.

Just back from RCI yesterday after 5 Carnival cruises within the past 2 years. RCI has won our vote for food and service. I think Carnival used to have excellent food - last 2 were noticably less than excellent...and struggling to reach 'good' more often than not.

Enjoy the Paradise. Sailed her back when she was non-smoking. I like the size of the Paradise. It was a good trip.

Oh no, now you scared me! lol. I haven't been on Carnival in a couple of years. The last 2 cruises were RC and I really was not happy with the food. I said after the first RC cruise that I would try RC ONE MORE TIME because maybe it was just a bad cruise the first time - it happens.... the second cruise I was even more disappointed in the food. So, I was hoping that going back to Carnival would bring me back the excellent cruise food I remember... but now I am wondering if cruise food on all lines has decreased in quality. Regardless, it's a cruise and just being able to order free room service any time is great! lol.

From my personal experiences with the 4 night baja cruises... This is what I think about it. (No point in comparing it to larger Carnival and RCCL ships since it doesn't apply to the Baja sailings)

RCCL's Monarch of the Seas

Cozy Cabins

Decent Food in the Dining Room

No Lobster

No midnight buffet everynight, instead, they have people carrying trays of food in all the lounges.

Better Lunch Buffets

Confusing layout for first timer on the ship.

Viking Crown Lounge have awesome views!

Have a Rock Climbing Wall

I much rather jump overboard than sit through their outdated theater productions.

Dueling Piano in Belarios

Sail out of San Pedro... theres a trolley there, have no idea where it goes.

Carnival's Paradise

Larger Cabins

GREAT Food in the Dining Room

They have Lobster!

Midnight Buffet every night!

Love the Room Service item better

Better Layed out

Top Less deck have a different kind of view.

Have a Miniture Golf Course

The theater production is alot better than that of Monarch of the Seas

Piano Bar

Sail out of Long Beach! You can visit the Queen Mary while your there... and I like the terminal at Long Beach wayyyy better.

Archived