Paint overspray problem in Bayonne (merged)

Just got off the Explorer today and was very unhappy to feel the paint finish on my car and have it feel like sandpaper. This is rediculous. It should not ever happen again after last years problems, but it did. Luckily the grit seems to come off with some polishing, but I shouldn't have to do it. Saw a couple covers that started the week on, but were on the ground at the end. Unless you pay for a custom fitted exterior cover that locks, the wind will take it right off. I'll think twice about leaving a car in that parking lot again.

See, now I was in the second row away from the outfitter that I assume is causing the overspray. I brought a car cover that did stay on. Didn't get a lick of overspray on it. But, can I tell you the absolute joy of manhandling a car cover off in the pouring rain and then trying to fold it so the inside of the car doesn't get soaked. Blech.

You have my sympathies, though, it seems totally random what car gets hit where.

Some people were complaining about the same thing when we got back from the 9/17 cruise. We had a car cover on but it did blow off at some point but nothing got on the car and we were 2nd row up from the drydock. There was stuff on the car cover so we assume that it blew off after the spraying. Because there was spray on the cover we just ditched it in a dumpster at the lot because we didn't want it in the car. It was only 20$ so we didn't care. We are still planning to go on cruises out of there but we are also planning on investing in a more secure cover and bringing a large garbage bag to put it in afterwards.

Here is the thread that discusses who you need to contact about the problem

good luck

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=369992

Sue

ON our 9-3 trip we had some dirt/black/gray stuff that washed right off through the carwash. Just thought it was rain or spray from the water due to rain that we had that week while we were away. i would still definately cruise out of there again.

• 2 weeks later...
Just in case I bought a cover for my car in Wally World for 20 bucks. (My car is black). I am taking no chances. Already tried it on and it covers most of the car and I can also tie it down.

Definitely tie it down, the week we went there were problems (9/17) but our cover blew off at some point but we didn't get anything on it, so it must have been after they sprayed.

For what it's worth, I called crown & anchor and inquired about the overspray (we're leaving on Oct 29th). Bonnie checked her files and said that she hasn't heard of any problems recently at all. (?):rolleyes:

I was on the EOS that returned Oct. 15 and did have an unknown gritty substance all over my car. It was extremely small drops of a clear substance. It felt like sand paper. The windshield wiper fluid did not have any effect on the substance. I was parked in the lot outside of the fence at the right end of the second row facing the ship repair facility. Yesterday (Monday) I was able to remove the residue from the windows using a razor blade and used a heavy duty cleaner/wax to remove the residue from the car finish.

I sent an e-mail to the Crown & Anchor society yesterday (Monday) to let them know about the problem, so Bonnie must have missed my e-mail!

I'm glad that residue came off your car, but that stinks...to have to scrub it when it's their fault. Wonder if Bonnie knew all along and didn't tell me???

You said you were parked outside the fence....I hoped that the parking lot was fenced in for security reasons!!!!:eek:

I'm glad that residue came off your car, but that stinks...to have to scrub it when it's their fault. Wonder if Bonnie knew all along and didn't tell me???

You said you were parked outside the fence....I hoped that the parking lot was fenced in for security reasons!!!!:eek:

I noticed the residue before we left the parking area, but determined that it would come off with a little work. I figured it wasn't worth my time and trouble trying to get reimbursed for the residue removal. I suspect others had the same problem (I felt the residue on the windshield of the car next to me) but also determined it wasn't worth it to try and find someone at the terminal to file a report.

We arrived about 12:30pm on Oct. 6 and after dropping off the luggage and returning to the entrance to the parking area, were directed into the fence area to pay the $15/day ($135 for the 9 days). We were then directed back outside the fence to an unsecured parking area (no fence, no barrier from the entrance road of any kind, just some orange pylons). I was directed to park at the end of the second row facing the repair facility. When we returned on the 15th almost all of the parking area outside the fence was filled with cars. The area was right next to the road coming into the terminal area before you drop off the luggage.

I'm a bit anal about my cars finish. the blasting media is VERY abrasive and must be removed carefully or you will scratch the clear coat beyond repair.

We sailed the first weeek in sept and it was horrible.

I won't sail from Bayone till they move the ship away from the repainting

area.

On the bright side the cruise was Fantastic and the sight of the tear as we passed by was incredible.

RTak a car cover and use it.

if you are near a Costco they have a soft one for $35.00

The Explorer was great say high to the crowd in the Watch / jewelry store.

john

We just recently completed our 4th cruise with Royal Caribbean on the Explorer of the Seas (Oct 6th Thru Oct15th 2006). Our car was parked at Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Central Parking Systems Lot). When we returned from the cruise on Sunday Oct 15th, we noticed what appeared to be a whiteish-grey dust on the cars surface but attributed it to dust from the car sitting for a week.Upon returning home I attempted to wash the car and found this dust was actually paint spatter which made the cars surface feel like sandpaper. Attempts to clean even the windshield of the car just shredded paper towels. Note: this was a brand new 2006 vehicle with less than 3000 miles.

On Monday Oct 16th while searching for phone numbers at Cape Liberty Cruise Port to report this incident I came across the article of Sept 13, 2005 in Cruise Critic News which outlines the same problem in August 2005. Despite Royal Caribbean's, Central Parking and Bayonne Drydock's vows to correct the problem or at least relocate cars at the site during spraying activities this problem has still not gone away. During the period from friday Oct 6th thru the 7th winds gusted 25-30 mph which apparently led to the problem. After receiving no response from Bayonne Drydock we turned this over to our insurance company. The estimate to repair the car was in excess of $2,000.00.

Here's an email from a previous post that referenced this same problem. You might want to contact this person and see if they can help resolve the issue.

--------------------

Good Morning Mr. P,

First I do apologize for the delay in getting back to you sooner, Ken Peterson from the Bayonne Dry Dock will be getting back to you in regards to your car.

Bayonne Dry Dock promised us last year that this would not be happening again, unfortunately they did not keep their word.

Kind Regards,

Danielle L. Gaskins

Operations Administrator

Cape Liberty Cruise Port

14 Port Terminal Boulevard

Bayonne, New Jersey 07002-5039

ph. 201.823.3737

cell. 201.978.8265

fax. 201.823.3878

capelibertyadmin@rccl.com

www.cruiseliberty.com

We were on the same ship and didn't get any paint. I did however park as far away as possible. I saw a bunch of cars that had it and they didn't even know about this problem. When you pay 75 for parking you shouldn't have to worry about things like this.

Archived