Tip at Portofino's

We ended up tipping extra when we went to Chops and Portofino's last week. The service was absolutely outstanding. We also asked our dinner waitress who used to work in Chops and she said they always prefer the cash tips!

You know...I wish that there was some conclusive information on what the fee is for....I am certainly OK with an explanation that the specialty menu the selections are available when the guest is ready for them, and what accompanies it is more intimate service from the wait staff. Simply more fine dining versus mass dining. And really it is at a small price for the ambiance, the food and the staff.

If they could just find a way to brand that into some simple terms that go to that idea I know I'd be less confused....I guess others too...

When we go I never completely know why I am leaving extra money, but still think for the few dollars more...wow, what a great meal and service for the price...but OK....then I ask myself how much am I supposed to tip...

...you know it is.:)

It does say on RCCL that the $20 does include tip. I always tip an extra $10 - $20 because the service is always great. The food is excellent. I have always felt that you need to take care of good service. Good luck.

We have NEVER tipped extra at Chops or Portofinos.

The information on those restaurants very clearly states that your $20 charge INCLUDES gratuity. While the service is very good, I would not say that it was dramatically better than what we have received in the dining room. Perhaps our experience has been different from others.

Now I have left a few extra bucks at Johnny Rockets when our waiter has "forgotten" to charge us for our soft drinks or milkshakes, and they have been friendly and upbeat in spite of being forced to do that dancing every 30 minutes. :)

I put myself through school as a waitress and bartender for six years, so I entirely understand about tipping and tend to be overly generous. I figure I'm already paying $40 extra, plus drinks, plus automatic gratuities on drinks, so I don't need to throw in anything else.

Thank you for your reply. That is what I questioned; whether or not the tip was automatically added into the bill or not.

I wanted to be sure that the waiters did receive the tip.

My childhood friend was a waitress and bartender in a restaurant for over 30 years and she feels as you do....If the tip is already charged to a bill, she says it is foolish to over-do it, but she never refused anyone throwing their money at her:D

We went to Portofino's while on the Freedom a few weeks ago. We went on the first formal night and we basically had the place to ourselves...AND we got to enjoy one of the best sunsets I have ever seen. Not to mention a fabulous bottle of wine. In my opinion, it was the best night on the ship...by far. The food, the wine, the atmosphere, the service...just perfect.

I did not feel right just leaving without giving them a little something extra. We tipped them an extra $20 (cash) each night. It just felt right.

I did not feel right just leaving without giving them a little something extra. We tipped them an extra $20 (cash) each night. It just felt right.

This is exactly the reason why we received an attitude from the waiter when we didn't leave anything extra. The tip is included in the cover charge.

The information on those restaurants very clearly states that your $20 charge INCLUDES gratuity.

Water baby I need your help...where can I look to fnd out where they say it includes the gratuity, I'd like to get this right in my head since I plan to be in one or the other in two + weeks.....

And then if it "includes" gratutity, I would like to learn how much goes to the house for the food and how much goes to the wait staff.....particularly since as kewlguy indicates, there may be an expectation of the wait staff that more ought to be forthcoming....

but that may be a result of everyone giving a bit more just because....

Thanks in advance...

When on Adventure in July we ate at Portofinos. Having been on other RCCL ships I had always heard/understood that the cover charge was or included the tip. I asked my server if she got a tip out of that charge. She said that they did, but it was very minimal. Apparently, according to the waitress, the majority of the cover charge went to RCCL to cover the extra quality of the food. I tend to beleive that because the food served in Portofinos or Chops is always outstanding and the extra twenty dollars is well spent. But in the end, like most on this thread I always tip an extra twenty dollars. Somehow trusting that RCCL will tip these hard workers an appropriate amount seems unrealistic. The waiters and waitresses work extremely hard and make my dinner an enjoyable experience. It is money well spent.

Bill

This is exactly the reason why we received an attitude from the waiter when we didn't leave anything extra. The tip is included in the cover charge.

Are you sure that was the reason. I have never seen a waiter give an attitude because someone did not tip them more than customary. I have seen a waiter/waitress thank me tremndously though. It may have been something you said just like what you said in this thread. It is up to the individual to leave an extra tip - not someone feeling guilty because you talked bad about them.

Archived