So... Tell Me About The Maasdam!

swiddowson

I have a question for all those HAL enthusiasts out there. Should my family and I cruise aboard the Maasdam next summer?

We are a family of 4. Who have been to all the typical cruise destinations ie. Caribbean, Bermuda, Alaska, some Eruope. We are looking at the 7 day Canada New England as something short but different for us. We have never cruise on HAL and have mixed feelings about doing so. After cruiseing on Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, RCI, and Oceania we become worryed about how the Maasdam seems "dark." This is judging from others reviews and various photos and virtural tours of the ship.

I've read good things and very bad things about her and need to know what others truly think. Is she a clean ship, is she as dark as she appears and how does that effect the mood of the cruise, is the service worth the price, and if you've cruised her before would you cruise her again and recomed her to your best friend?

So if you have a comment about the Maasdam - I'de love to hear it - good or bad!

I of course have many other quetions but will hold with this one for now - thanks and have a great day!

There are a bunch of recent reviews of the Maasdam Canada/NEngland cruises this summer right on this page and the next, so checking those out will give you a tremendous amount of the info you are seeking.

I don't know what you mean by dark? She is lovely, the crew is great, service wonderful. I loved the Maasdam and would recommend it to anyone, including my best friend. Any other specific questions there will be lots of folks here who can answer, but the current threads will help you first.

MY DH and I have cruised Maasdam at least 12 + cruises...truthfully, I have lost count how many cruises but it is at least that many and we leave next week for another cruise on her.

You may safely assume we love that ship.

She carries a fabulous crew (which, of course, rotates around as some go on vacation etc) but it seems whoever is sailing on her seems to love working that ship.

She is so beautiful IMO and in NO WAY at all is she ?dark? I cannot imagine where you got that impression. I would never think to use that adjective as one to describe this pretty, well cared for, much loved ship.

Her dining room is elegantly beautiful and the layout of the ship is fabulous....very easy to get around and learn your way around.

Hope this gives you another opinion to think about.

:) [font=Comic Sans MS][color=red] Maasdam[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000]We have cruised on her quite a few times - last time being this past May. Previously we were on her for back-to-back cruises last November. If we didn't like her, we would not have booked another cruise on her.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000]We love her and didn't have problems.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000]Wouldn't hesitate to go on her again.[/color][/font]
:)

S7S,

Just wondering, We all know how much you love "Your Maasdam" and you just stated how many times you have been on her.

How many itineraries has she had in all the times you have sailed her?

I know now she does the NE/Canada route, but I was wondering where else she has sailed in the past.

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=red][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000]We did a Baltic cruise on her in 1996 - our first HAL cruise. We have done a couple of Canada/New England cruises, and several Caribbean cruises.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#ff0000]So she has gotten around.[/color][/font]

[b][size=3][color=darkslateblue]I'm heeeere!!! :D [/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#483d8b][/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]Was busy packing.....:) And on the phone etc etc[/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]Among the itineraries we have done on Maasdam are European Capitals ( which was incredibly great), Eastern and Western Caribbean about a million times between all the "dam" ships; Panama Canal; ????? who remembers~! I can't keep them all straight anymore.[/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]I'm at the point now that unless we are going to some place we've never been or some place we really, really love......the ship herself is our destination.[/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#483d8b]When we board Maasdam Saturday, it is entirely possible we might not get off the ship until it is time to disembark. Doubtful....we probably will visit around a bit in Halifax, Bar Harbour and we are planning on scoffing down steamed lobsters in Portland.....unless we're not in the mood the day we are there. :) [/color][/size][/b]

S7S,

that sounds soooo terrific.

I hope one day to have all that travel time under my belt. The gruise to the European capitals sounds wonderful. And people have told me watching the ship go through the Panama Canal is awesome.

Well if you don't want your lobster you can send it to me along with a volcano cake for dessert *LOL*

Sailed the Maasdam for the first time last month for New England/Canada cruise and love this ship! It's just the right size, elegant, not gaudy, extremely friendly crew, wonderful food, just plain comfortable. We'd love to sail her again.

Vicar....I'm older than you so have done a "few things" that you will do all in good time. :)

The European Captials itinerary was one of our favorites. We had done land trips to most of the ports a number of times in the past so had done most of the "required viewing" and could plan our day to enjoy those things about each city that we like best.

Panama Canal transits are Fantastic IMO HAL always boards a lecturer who provides wonderful information over the speaker system from the bridge. We've done that cruise about 4 times and learn something new each transit. I'd do it again without hesitation. It is such a marvel and to imagine the genious of man to engineer/design it and the muscle of man to build it. It's a long day but one that is so memorable. Depending upon what time they schedule our transit, we normally have our breakfast on the veranda and watch as the ship lines up and the mules attach. Then we often move to another spot for viewing. It's great to move about the ship and get different angles and "mingle with lots of pax" to enjoy it all together.

If one has to chance to book a Panama Canal cruise, I highly recommend it....and most assuredly recommend it on Maasdam.

In 1997 we sailed on the Maasdam b-b doing both the Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea Cruises. At that time we were able to get into Israel as well as the ports in Egypt and Greece and Greek Islands, etc. on our Eastern Med. portion.

Haven't sailed on the Maasdam again since 1998 when we did the repositioning cruise from NY to the Caribbean in the fall, as we started sailing on the Rotterdam in the spring of '98.

Because of itineraries we have continued to sail on the Rotterdam for the last seven years, but when we did sail on the Maasdam years ago I can say we honestly loved the ship and look forward to our 35-day cruise on her in July 2005.

Next year's cruise sounds fabulous, Liz. Wish we had the time. Not yet....

We were able to get into Israel also on Maasdam. Spent just one day there in Haifa but we enjoyed it alot. Until you mentioned Israel, I had forgotten we went there on Maasdam.

She's a terrific ship IMO and rides beautifully. While we think of Rotterdam/Amsterdam and now Prinsendam as the World Cruiser, all the "dam" ships are world cruisers.

Archived