M Class 6144 or 6143..what's on the balcony?

Cruise Junky

Hi! has anyone sailed in either of the cabins? They look great and they've certainly got great reviews. My questions is what's that thing sticking out on the balcony. It looks like there's a small divider half way on the balcony. We saw Infinity on Sunday but couldn't get close enough to the stern to figure it out. But even on the great shot of Summit in this months Cruise Travel, there's definitely something there.

Any ideas?

You are seeing an emergency exit that is next to cabins 6143/6144. The emergency exit is for the penthouse suite balcony. There is a small door on the glass divider between 6148/6146, another glass door between the 6146/6144 balconies, and another door between the 6144 balcony and a small service passage that leads back to the main hallway of the ship. So the route of the emergency exit actually goes across the balconies of 6146 and 6144.

Anyone on the penthouse suite can open the door to the 6146 balcony. Likewise anyone in 6146 can open the door to the 6144 balcony. The doors open only from the aft side. It is not really an issue, but if I was staying in 6146 or 6144 I would keep my balcony door locked when I'm away.

Ma Bell...I wasn't referring to what's beside the cabin, I was talking about the deck... there's so obviously a second panel and few feet from the normal panel....it looks so weird and I couldn't for the live of me figure out what it was.

Thanks guys for your respones. I'll check Summit out of Friday to see if I can get a better view.

Does this picture show what you're looking for info on? (This is Constellation but Summit should be identical)

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/picturepost/view.php?uid=1231 click on the picture on the bottom row, all the way to the left.

You're looking right above the "A" in GAS TURBINE on the side of the ship -- go to the porthole window above that and on up the ship until you get to the balcony. To the left is an RS balcony and to the right is the Cat 1 balcony. As said above by Ma Bell, it's part of the service area used by the cabin attendants and butlers on the PH deck.

Hope this helps! :D

Let's hope that they never have to use it as an emergency exit. When we stayed in 6146, we left the heavy teak lounge chairs blocking the door. Some people have also reported that the latches on the swinging glass doors were broken and they were wired shut. Also if the crew is storing items in the passageway that will also be a problem.

Archived