Alaska Northbound: Coral Princess vs Statendam vs Saphhire Princess

deadzone1003

We are planning a northbound cruise for the summer of 2007. For the timeframe that is required it leaves us with the choice of either the Coral Princess, Sapphire Princess, or Holland America's Statendam. It seems that Coral Princess is the better ship, but which ship does a better job of navigating Glacier Bay and College Fjord? Are there any advantages of the Statendam over the Coral Princess or Sapphire Princess? As you may guess, we are leaning towards the Coral Princess.

We are planning a northbound cruise for the summer of 2007. For the timeframe that is required it leaves us with the choice of either the Coral Princess, Sapphire Princess, or Holland America's Statendam. It seems that Coral Princess is the better ship, but which ship does a better job of navigating Glacier Bay and College Fjord? Are there any advantages of the Statendam over the Coral Princess or Sapphire Princess? As you may guess, we are leaning towards the Coral Princess.

You just can't beat the Coral!:) Bill

While I am a big Princess fan I did a B2B a couple of years ago on the Statendam to Alaska. She is a great ship for Alaska, lots of outside viewing areas, and the large open bow deck is prefect for Glacier viewing. The smaller size aft dining room is also fantastic, wih the windows you have a panaromic view for 180 degrees. That said I'm not a big fan of HAL food or entertainment. IMHO the smaller the ship in Alaska the better.

I've also sailed on the Sapphire a couple of times and she is very nice. major problem for me is that on the bigger ship you are too high off the water to really appreciate all the ice etc in the water.

Will probably head back to Alaska again next year for #12 and am looking at the Coral also.

Doug

..................................................... IMHO the smaller the ship in Alaska the better......................................................

Will probably head back to Alaska again next year for #12 and am looking at the Coral also. Doug

Doug,

The Pacific Princess is Doing AK, & new Area & 688 Pax:) Bill

(I'm doing B2B on it 6/6 & 6/13 with B2B from Syd 4/24)

Pacific Princess was considered. I thought it had the best itinerary (the one where it is going to Tracy Arm as well as Glacier Bay and College Fjord), but it doesn't make our timeframe as I'm part of a 14 people group. I'm not even sure if the Sapphire Princess would be that good as some in our group may have to fly in the day of embarkation. However, thanks for your reply.:)

Archived