Another Pacific Star R631 Review

Rallo

Love reading all the review. We bought Harry Potter GOF in Jan for about the same price and it only worked till about 1/2 way through. Never again.

Yeah, I'm over the cheapie bootleg dvds too. When we were in Bangkok a few months ago, I didn't even look at them. I usually wait for those sales at Blockbuster, VideoEzy or whatever of ex rentals. They're legal, they work, they cost between $10-15 and you get all the extras!

The get 3 or 4 couples on stage (nominations beforehand) and then separate the partners. They ask the same series of questions to each partner and the couple with the most matches wins.

Usually laughter provoking questions such as what bra size is the lady, if your man's "hmm hmm" was a car what sort would it be, and when was the last time you ....

So if you aren't brave don't volunteer.

They also sometimes have a perfect match game too with the winners scoring a free dinner at the steakhouse.

Wow 47 in your group - that will be huge!

We are also travelling on the same cruise as Matre next Easter and there will be 44 of us!! Should be a blast and I don't think we can do the same as you guys and miss each other. Although picking out who is who in groups that large may be tricky!! May have to have a signal to indicate who CCers are or just organise a CC meet & greet in the library as per previous suggestions.

Now that Suey, Frog, Bek & Nan have finished their "half way" cruise we can start to concentrate on the 50th cruise. Have to plan t-shirts and lots of other fun stuff. Does anyone know a good "cheap" supplier in Brisbane we can use for screen printing t-shirts? Suey has some great ideas as a born organiser of cruise packs we are putting together for all of our cruising companions even picking up 44 copies of a Pacific Daily newsletter while on there last week. Couldn't get the sick bags though. Don't ask!! I managed to get 100 lanyards on EBay for $28 which were a fantastic bargain and of great quality. Anybody want to buy a lanyard, we only need 44!! Just kidding, I'm sure they will come in handy.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Love reading all the review. We bought Harry Potter GOF in Jan for about the same price and it only worked till about 1/2 way through. Never again.

Is Jinek Bay straight up and over at Lifou. You walked? I have only been up to the church and snorkeled on the beaches near the tender wharf. Interesting about Cascade falls. I knew there was a charge but not expecting that much. Not that it is huge but still.

When I visited Villa, I went to the Cascade Falls but at the time didn't realise you had to pay to get in. We caught a taxi there and started walking up the falls and some tour guy said you had to pay. He let us continue anyway.:o I agree, it's a lot of money to pay, just to see beautiful nature. Fun though. :D

Priority Parking was perfect for us coming from the Gold Coast. Worked out at $20 a head which would equate to $10 each way per person. You couldn't train and taxi it from the Gold Coast for less. Was great to have your own wheels to get home in too.

Is there similar parking at the Sydney Wharf? Because $80 sounds better than paying for shuttle buses from the Central Coast!

Can't remember the exact price, but it worked out about $12 per day.

You just parked there, told the ticket people, filled in a form and then payed when you got back.

We have dont this treee times now, and have had no problems either time. The first time we caught a taxi to the ship and back, but the second time I dropped the family and luggage off at the ship, drove there myself, and walked back to the ship, and the reverse for the return journey.

Hi all

Just in relation to parking in Sydney, we always stay at the Gemini hotel Randwick $140 per night or $99 standby rates. They have free parking for a week while you are away and seven dollars per day after that. They have free transfer service to or from airport and central station.

When we cruised in March this year we drove down to Sydney, had a night before the cruise, got the transfer to central station, from there you have the choice of a taxi ($10) or the light rail. You just call them on your return and they pick you up from central to collect the car. We always like to stay a night before we leave because we have 5 hour trip to Sydney or pay the huge fares to fly! Plus we get to do some duty free shopping although we always end up at the pub across from the terminal and don't get on the boat till the little man comes across to get us!!!!

We are looking forward to our first cruise (Star), counting the days now! It was so interesting to read your account, particularly about the shore days. We won't be taking any of the conducted tours - they seem to be overpriced. Did you organise the minibus, car etc before you got there? And the snorkelling - was it arranged from Qld? How far is the dock from the town, in each island? Walkable distance? Would really appreciate some tips about self conducted tours on the islands....

We are looking forward to our first cruise (Star), counting the days now! It was so interesting to read your account, particularly about the shore days. We won't be taking any of the conducted tours - they seem to be overpriced. Did you organise the minibus, car etc before you got there? And the snorkelling - was it arranged from Qld? How far is the dock from the town, in each island? Walkable distance? Would really appreciate some tips about self conducted tours on the islands....

Noumea - $15 per person one hour bus tour with English guide was organised out front of terminal at Noumea, there's also a person inside terminal from different group I think.

Lifou - Just walk over to Jinek Bay with your snorkelling gear - free.

Port Vila - Heaps of minibuses at wharf to run you into town or to drive you around all day like we did. I was a bit dubious about our rundown transport but all turned out fine.

acdc

Not sure which islands you are going to, I've been to Vila many times, both cruising and flying. If you want to do some snorkelling, grab a taxi and ask him to take you to hideaway island, there is a little ferry (tin boat) that runs all day and I think is still free. we paid our taxi driver half the money and said we would give him the other half when he picked us up 2 hours later, sure enough he was there waiting. Hideaway is great for snorkelling, has a bar and sandfloor restaurant. All up it cost six of us $20 AUD between us!! Others had paid triple that for a shore tour there each.

In Noumea it is much more expensive, we get a Taxi to Anse vata beach and just chill, watch the scenery, bit of shopping then back to the boat. There are also buses. Or just go for a walk to Coconut Square i think it is called, I actually love having the boat to myself in Noumea. Last trip we had the kids with us and did the city tour which dropped us at Anse vata for 2hrs, it was really good and was in an airconditioned bus, great scenery and morning tea!

We went to Chantilly's restaurant for lunch last cruise to Vila, just keep waking past the shops along the bay, the veiw of port Vila harbour is beautiful, food was great, snorkelling straight off their jetty!!!

Hope that helps a bit!!

Cheryl

Thanks for the helpful tips! Someone mentioned in another forum about the market in Noumea which finishes 11'ish am, I guess we'll miss it as the ship gets into N at 1500hrs :-( By the way, Rollo, can you hire snorkelling gear from the ship? I've reread your review, it really gives a good picture of what to expect & enjoy! Thanks so much.

Thanks for the helpful tips! Someone mentioned in another forum about the market in Noumea which finishes 11'ish am, I guess we'll miss it as the ship gets into N at 1500hrs :-( By the way, Rollo, can you hire snorkelling gear from the ship? I've reread your review, it really gives a good picture of what to expect & enjoy! Thanks so much.

Yes the market in Noumea is quite nice. They have the nicest coffee which comes in what I would call a bowl. Only cost us about A$3.50 per bowl and it was delicious. Plus they had some nice souvenirs. But as you said it is only open in the morning so most cruises out of Brisbane will miss it.

It's worth the small walk if you ever get the chance to be in Noumea early. You just get off the ship and head to the right around to where the fish markets are!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Archived