Tulum Mayan Ruins Help Needed.

Hi everyone.

I want to do the Tulum Mayan Ruins Excursion in Cozumel but I want to know from anyone that has done this excursion if they made it back in time to make it back to the ship on time.

My concern is that I don't want to miss my ship and I see that the Excursion lasts about 6 1/2 hours. Did anyone feel like as if they were not going to make it back on time for the ships departure?

We did it in August of 2005 while on Grandeur and we had no problem getting abck to the ship on time. As a matter of fact, we were dropped off at the shopping area and even had time to shop before heading back to the ship. Oh, and th etour itself was fantastic. Enjoy it!

I did the cruise line tour twice. With the distance you have to travel and the Mexican laid back attitude toward time I would not want to chance an 'off' tour. I will do tours 'off' the boat when distance and time are not a problem.

But everyone has a different tolerance for risk. Mine is low.

Are you trying to do it with a ship's tour or on your own. If you are are your own and there are any issues you could miss the ship.

If you are on a ship's tour they will NOT leave without you.

BTW Tulum is beautiful

DD and I took this excursion, which was a wonderful experience, and were returned to the ship well in time for sail away. Our tour guides kept us on schedule and reminded us to watch the clock when they allowed us free time to tour on our own. It was a great time!

:)

Are you trying to do it with a ship's tour or on your own. If you are are your own and there are any issues you could miss the ship.

If you are on a ship's tour they will NOT leave without you.

I have read here that the ship will wait, but there are sometimes forces beyond the Captain's control - the port authority may order them out or there may be weather factors that require them to leave, so you really can't count on it.

One of my co-workers was on a ship's tour that ran late. The ship did leave without them, but they did not have to pay anything to catch up with the ship the next day.

I think that, except in countries where I wouldn't mind missing the ship (e.g Italy) I would take a ship's tour if the tour is long enough that an hour's delay would cause you to miss the deadline for reboarding. And I would take my passport with me.

I have read here that the ship will wait, but there are sometimes forces beyond the Captain's control - the port authority may order them out or there may be weather factors that require them to leave, so you really can't count on it.

One of my co-workers was on a ship's tour that ran late. The ship did leave without them, but they did not have to pay anything to catch up with the ship the next day.

I think that, except in countries where I wouldn't mind missing the ship (e.g Italy) I would take a ship's tour if the tour is long enough that an hour's delay would cause you to miss the deadline for reboarding. And I would take my passport with me.

The tour would have to be severely delayed for them to leave you. That is what you are paying for by booking with them. Peace of Mind.

We actually had a ship come around the other side of Guadelope and pick up all the ship's tour people with tenders when the local buses went on strike and blocked all the roads. They left many people who had gone off on their own ( they had made announcements about possible unrest) but fulfilled their obligation to the people who booked through them.

Hi everyone. I want to do the Tulum Mayan Ruins Excursion in Cozumel but I want to know from anyone that has done this excursion if they made it back in time to make it back to the ship on time.

My concern is that I don't want to miss my ship and I see that the Excursion lasts about 6 1/2 hours. Did anyone feel like as if they were not going to make it back on time for the ships departure?

If your plan is to do it on your own, I would suggest going with the ship's tour to be safe. If the ship tour is late, they will wait. If you do it on your own, you are on your own.

With the boat ride(ferry) over, the trip down and back (the distance to the ruins is a long ride), and then the boat ride back leaves plenty of opportunity to "miss" a connection.

Do not know the cost benefit but you will need to pay the ferry over and back, the taxi down and back, and the entrance fee. Might add up to close what the ship is charging.

We did the tour with another cruise line, and if I was going to do it again I would still go with a ship's tour.

We did Tulum Sept. 1 from the Mariner. It was really, really hot, so be prepared with water. I saw one guy had brought a damp face cloth - good idea!

We went on the ship's tour which was ~6.5 hours. We were given strict instructions of what time to be back on the bus, as there was only one tender that was reserved for RC going back to Cozumel. Ten people chose not to listen, and the bus left without them! So don't think that you can go lay on the beach, and the bus won't leave without you! If we hadn't have left when we did, we all would have missed the tender. I don't know whatever happened to those 10 people, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to be them!

I enjoyed seeing Tulum, but won't go back. The heat was really unbearable. It is a beautiful spot, though.

I've done this excursion before and while you *can* do it on your own, I strongly advise against that, due to the many reasons listed above.

We went at the end of August and it was quite hot, but not totally unbearable. Not sure about right now, but when we were there in 2004, there were some trees scattered around, as well as some open-air "huts", which offered shade. :) As was already mentioned, definitely bring plenty of water with you.

I highly recommend this excursion, and I have pictures from our visit there on my web site, the link is below. Just look for my "Disney 2004" cruise section, and click the "Cozumel" link :cool:

That is a wise decision. I usually look for outside tour companies, but in a case like this I would never consider booking off the ship. Too many what ifs...... and knowing my DH he would be a mess the entire trip wondering if we were going to make it back to the ship in time. It is worth the peace of mind to pay extra. In this case the ship will only leave you as a last resort (ie weather) and then RC will arrange your transfers.

I would love to go back to Cozumel again for two reasons, first we were there right after the hurricane and the damage was so evident- I would love to see it again after it is rebuilt (and regrown-which will take years and years to happen). And second I would love to see the ruins (without my kids- they could never make the length of the trip).

I find it hard to believe that if you book an excursion thru RCCL, if the tour is late getting back that they will leave you and expect you to get to the next port on your own. That is why you book thru RCCL, so that doesn't happen.

To the OP.....if you have to take a ferry to the Playa Del Carmen from Cozumel for this excursion, please take the proper precautions and get some Dramimine or Bonine. The ferry ride is almost an hour and extremely rough seas. It was like an amusement park ride....i remember when our side of the boat went up,the opposite side of the boat all you could see was water. We took it back in February and they were walking around handing out trash bags to everyone and boy were they being used. Luckily, i did my research on CC and took some Dramimine or i would have been in some serious trouble. But the Ruins were really beautiful.....we got some really good pictures of the blue Caribbean waters near the Ruins....just gorgeous. We got back in time to shop a little and go to Carlos N Charlies too.....that was a blast. Have fun if you decide to do it!!

I find it hard to believe that if you book an excursion thru RCCL, if the tour is late getting back that they will leave you and expect you to get to the next port on your own. That is why you book thru RCCL, so that doesn't happen.

To the OP.....if you have to take a ferry to the Playa Del Carmen from Cozumel for this excursion, please take the proper precautions and get some Dramimine or Bonine. The ferry ride is almost an hour and extremely rough seas. It was like an amusement park ride....i remember when our side of the boat went up,the opposite side of the boat all you could see was water. We took it back in February and they were walking around handing out trash bags to everyone and boy were they being used. Luckily, i did my research on CC and took some Dramimine or i would have been in some serious trouble. But the Ruins were really beautiful.....we got some really good pictures of the blue Caribbean waters near the Ruins....just gorgeous. We got back in time to shop a little and go to Carlos N Charlies too.....that was a blast. Have fun if you decide to do it!!

Thanks for the tip!!!

I hope I make it back in time to hit Carlos N Charlies!!

I have been wanting to go there since my last cruise.:D

Piggybacking on this thread regarding Tulum as it's one of the ship tours we're looking at doing on our Nov 19 cruise on Mariner of Seas. I've got two boys, 8 and 11. Is this excursion okay for them?

Disneymomtwo...i don't know about your 8 year old, but mine would probably get bored. He's at that age where he gets bored really easily (of course unless there is an Xbox or Playstation around..lol).

Piggybacking on this thread regarding Tulum as it's one of the ship tours we're looking at doing on our Nov 19 cruise on Mariner of Seas. I've got two boys, 8 and 11. Is this excursion okay for them?

It is very interesting and there is a lot to see. There is also a beach down the cliffs, I think the kids would like it. There were a few kids on our tours and they never seemed bored.

They will get you to the next port at their expense (as I understand it; we've never had to find out first hand), but sometimes they cannot wait - if the port authority tells them to leave, they will. If a storm is coming in, they may even depart early - some CCers posted that about a year ago, as I recall (it was Bermuda). So you cannot count on the ship not leaving you, but I think you can count on the port agent getting you caught up with the ship if you're on a ship's excursion.

Archived