Looking for help & advice

Firsttimer1966

Hiya

I’m looking for a bit of help. Firstly we are based in Scotland so I may not be on the right message board but I hope so.

My partner has MS and uses her wheelchair at all times. We were thinking about going on a cruise next year – it will probably be the last big holiday we take (actually, it will be the only big holiday we have ever had, that’s why I wanted to make it special and make memories for us both).

I know nothing about cruise ships or the disabled facilities that they have – sorry.

We were thinking of either the Med or Europe somewhere and maybe for about a week or so.

If anyone had any advice or knew of any good cruises we could take that would be great. I’ve looked at some websites but I only get confused and recommendations are always best aren’t they.

As I said, I want to make memories for us both and any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Hi Firsttimer 1966

My wife and I (both w/chair users) are taking our first cruise ever next year. e've booked the 7 day Short Scandinavian on 28 April.

We made arrangements through Accessible Travel and they were very helpful and patient with all the questions we raised.

www.accessibletravel.co.uk

We're cruising with Royal Caribbean on Navigator of the Seas. They were very helpful too in dealing with AccessibleTravel's questions asked on our behalf.

One word of advice. Book soon because disabled accessible cabins get booked up early.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

We live in Hampshire so only short trip to Southampton to join cruise.

Good luck:)

I use a rolling walker and have difficulty walking distances but can use buses and taxi's which does allow me more options than those who cannot walk or transfer. We have done a Med cruise from Rome to London on Princess and were well pleased with the cruise. There is not as much accessibility in Europe as I am accustomed to in the USA. However since you are in Scotland that may not surprise you as much as it did me. On the ship I felt welcomed and they went out of their way to be of help. We did not get an accessible cabin which you will need if your partner must use a wheelchair. In a standard cabin there is a step up into the bathroom and insufficient room to turn your chair around. Also the door to standard cabins are very narrow. I must collapse my walker before it will fit through the door. In the HC cabins you would get a flat access to the bath and a roll in shower with bench as well as a room large enough to turn your chair around. I love to cruise especially since it is so easy to only unpack once and still get to see lots of an area. If I could answer any specific questions I would try to help. I suggest you reserve a cabin quickly if you need an accessible cabin as these book up quickly.

We have cruised on Princess and have been very happy with the staff's wonderful service. We were less happy with Carnival. And yes, the HC cabin is a must. But check around on the boards here; you will find lots of people's experiences with different lines.

Also, on a recent trip to Panama, the Tour Office put together an accessible bus tour to a tourist spot in Costa Rica; we actively solicited other wheelchair users on the boat to sign up so there would be a full bus. Moral: ask for what you want! We have only done the Pacific Coast, so can't offer any ideas for Europe.

Have a great time!

In our opinion you can't beat Royal Caribbean for theri service to the handicapped cruiser. My hubby uses a motorized scooter and we have never had a bad experience on RCCL. The absolute first thing you must do is book an accessible cabin, then have a terrific time. It's the only way to vacation!

If you can, I recommend looking at RCCL's Radiance class of ships (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade, and Jewel) as the accessible rooms on those ships have automatic doors.

If you are looking for cruises for next summer, do not wait to book as there are very few wheelchair accessible rooms on cruiseships and they can go very fast.

If you want to make it special, I suggest a balconey cabin. There is more space in the JS (RCCL). I would also go for 10 days if possible since you are travelling a great distance. One other thing, as soon as you book get insurance so that if anything happens your preexisting condition does not disquilfy you.

I have pics of disable cabins on Celebrity Summit and the Massdam. I am leaving for a cruise today. I have MS too. I am going on the Freedom of the Seas.

we agree with the previous poster about rccls radiance class - either balcony cabin or junior suite so long as you get handicapped accessible rooms they have plenty of room, automatic door openers into both the cabin and the bathroom, roll-in shower with fold down bench and lots of grab bars. and the ship itself is very handicapped friendly as far as getting around. we are leaving next week on Brilliance of the Seas :)

Archived