Talked to NCL about my concerns about the Aloha

Ocruise

I was told by a crew member on the POA and if you read their literture carefully, the "Resort Fee" is for the employees sick leave, vacation leave, and medical benefits. A lot of companies are doing something similiar to this. By charging a separate fee and designating it for employee benefits, they believe it doesn't need to be reported as payroll, therefore they don't have to withhold the employment taxes, social security, etc. Whether this is legal or not can be debated. But it appears NCL is trying to reduce the amount pf payroll taxes they have to withhold and report. The statement they made in the information they sent me and that was on the ship goes along with this when they encourage people "not" to tip the employees. Tips are taxable. If you don't tip, NCL doesn't have to worry about reporting the tips either. Otherwise they have to develop a system of tracking or pooling the tips so they can report it. Just my take on what I think NCL is trying to do with the "no tipping" policy and the "resort fee."

Jeconk: I LOVED the Cream of Wheat story - Do you think it completely ruined her cruise ? I take people who have REAL problems seriously but stuff like that - really - give me stength.

Both HAL and Princess requested to reflag a ship to meet the requirments to sail around the Hawaii Islands like the POA's. Their request by the US Congress was based on the information that the Hawaii Market could NOT support more than 2 ships. Oops, NCL will now have 2 ships doing 7-night "Round" Islands and 1 ship on 3-4 night cruises.

The latest word I have had is that there will probably not be a short cruise. They may go to 2 night itineraries and use another ship to do sailings from San Francisco. Of course, nothing is set in stone at this time so we'll just wait and see.

[quote name='Windrunner I']As I understand it, unlike the late American Hawaii and US Lines, NCL does not have exclusive rights to the Hawaiian Islands and any other cruise line that is willing or capable to set up a US-flagged operation are welcome to do so. Hence, that's why NCL purchased the Independence and United States, to keep them out of the hands of any other cruise lines.

Criticize NCL and NCL America all you want, but no other cruise line has had the b@lls to take the risk NCL has in setting up and operating this venture which will generate HUGE revenues for the state of Hawaii and its residents, not to mention the number of jobs it is creating along the way.

I recently returned from the Pride's maiden Hawaiian voyage and while I avoided the buffet like the plague, I found the service in all other areas to be very friendly; if not terribly efficient and polished. Overall, it was a great cruise experience and in my opinion, NCL has a real winner on their hands.

NCL never has been and never will be a luxury cruise experience and I was amazed at the number of guests I encountered who has sailed Holland, Celebrity and other 'traditional' lines who did nothing but complain and grouse about "freestyle'. They obviously didn't dfo their homework.

For anyone set to sail on the Pride or anyone who is thinking of it, to you, I say "go" and enjoy yourself.[/QUOTE]

Aloha,

As a former crew from the POA i must agree with Windrunner I. The truth and reality is this, NCL or NCLA doen't have a monoply within the Hawaiian islands. All other cruise lines declined to crew there ships with an all American crew due to various reasons. But, the door is always open to competition its just a matter of wether any other cruise line is willing to invest the $$ and take on this challenge.

Mahalo,

• 2 months later...
I'm booked on the Jan.16th sailing and I too called NCL. I was switched to 4 different people but I did finally talk to someone.

I asked for specific steps that NCL has taken or at least plan to take.. Her response was " NCL is aware of the problems on POA and the captain and crew are working hard to correct these problems. NCL is offering full refunds, including the deposit till Oct. 17th. She had no information concern my cruise in January.

Archived