Spa Charge on the Star

jbobst

I just called NCL and they confirmed that there is a charge to use the spa on the Star. Now, I have only taken two cruises before (Princess and RCI), but I cannot believe they are actually charging to use the facilities!!! Both of my other cruises had the sauna, steam rooms, jacuzzi's, and pools always available, with no extra charge. Using these facilities is one of the nice things about cruising that I really enjoy and it is not something I normally use in everyday life. Has this always been the case for NCL to charge for their spa facilities? Do they charge for spa use on all their ships?

The Star only has one main pool, other than the kids pools in the back. The indoor lap pool and jacuzzi's in the spa look really nice and quiet, and I have been looking forward to using them. We are traveling with two other families, and I know that the ladies really enjoy the sauna's and steam rooms as well.

This is a major dissapointment... While there are many aspects of cruising other than the spa and indoor pool areas, I have never heard of any cruise line charging for the use of the spa. On our last cruise, our Princess ship had 4 pools, (not including the kiddie pool). One was in the spa area, one was an indoor pool with sliding roof, and one was at the back of the ship and designated adults only (plus the main outdoor pool of course). They had a very nice selection and all were free, but it looks like NCL has now limited me to only one pool unless I want to pay $60. This just makes me mad and sorry I booked with NCL... And of course, the only place I heard about the extra charge is here on Cruise Critics...it is not mentioned in the brochure anywhere, although I haven't checked the NCL web site very thoroughly to see if they mention it there.

I really try to have a positive outlook on most things, but first the extra charge restaurants, and now the pay for spa use. I think I'll be sticking with RCI or some other line after this cruise.

I should add that I am not a veteran cruiser, so the fact that I have never heard of another cruise line charging for their spa facilities is kind of a dumb statement for me to make. Maybe most of them do charge for the use of the spa facilities, but I just assumed that they were mostly all free, as they were on my first two cruises. I realize that the spa TREATMENTS are not free, and I understand that.

We sailed on the Dawn last year and the spa pool was free. It was very underutilized; suprising that they are charging for it. I would guess that it would get less use with the charge. I used it the mornings after working out at the adjacent fitness center and it was always empty.

I understand that the charge started this past spring. $60 for the cruise might be worthwhile.

AND if you get a spa treatment you can use the rest of the spa facilities, for that day, included in the treatment fee.i am sure that doesn't mean you can go in and out all day, but while you are there for your treatment, you can use the lap pool, sauna and so forth. i can see why they had to do that, when you see how it is set up..keeping track of non-spa users going in and out to just use the pool or hot tub would be tricky. especially if you have a lot of kids/teens running in and out. from what i saw, if you pay for the use of that area..you will enjoy it. it seemed very quiet.

please don't go on the Star with any negative mind-set. you will do the Star a great injustice. it's a beautiful ship, the crew was wonderful. true, it does not have the multi-pools that other ships have. i found the ship to be equal to many 4 & 5 star resorts i have been to.

the extra charge for restaurants only covers a few of the restaurants on board. you don't have to use them. my family ate at Cagney's once for the 1/2 price special (early bird discount for the main menu), the younger couple ate at the Soho once. the rest of the week we had a great time and service at the main dining areas.

I just called NCL and they confirmed that there is a charge to use the spa on the Star. Now, I have only taken two cruises before (Princess and RCI), but I cannot believe they are actually charging to use the facilities!!! Both of my other cruises had the sauna, steam rooms, jacuzzi's, and pools always available, with no extra charge. Using these facilities is one of the nice things about cruising that I really enjoy and it is not something I normally use in everyday life. Has this always been the case for NCL to charge for their spa facilities? Do they charge for spa use on all their ships?

The Star only has one main pool, other than the kids pools in the back. The indoor lap pool and jacuzzi's in the spa look really nice and quiet, and I have been looking forward to using them. We are traveling with two other families, and I know that the ladies really enjoy the sauna's and steam rooms as well.

This is a major dissapointment... While there are many aspects of cruising other than the spa and indoor pool areas, I have never heard of any cruise line charging for the use of the spa. On our last cruise, our Princess ship had 4 pools, (not including the kiddie pool). One was in the spa area, one was an indoor pool with sliding roof, and one was at the back of the ship and designated adults only (plus the main outdoor pool of course). They had a very nice selection and all were free, but it looks like NCL has now limited me to only one pool unless I want to pay $60. This just makes me mad and sorry I booked with NCL... And of course, the only place I heard about the extra charge is here on Cruise Critics...it is not mentioned in the brochure anywhere, although I haven't checked the NCL web site very thoroughly to see if they mention it there.

I really try to have a positive outlook on most things, but first the extra charge restaurants, and now the pay for spa use. I think I'll be sticking with RCI or some other line after this cruise.

I was on Crown Princess last week and the Spa charged $30 per day or $15 half day. The place was empty.

It was said that they started to charge for the use of the spa to keep the kids and those who want to gather as a group in the lap pool from congregating there. I say...inforce the "no kids" rule and post signs that the pool is to be use for swimming only....not for social gathering which one can do at the pool on deck. I love the spa area and really recent having to now pay for what was free before. I will pay because I love the spa, but I don't think it is right.

It was said that they started to charge for the use of the spa to keep the kids and those who want to gather as a group in the lap pool from congregating there. I say...inforce the "no kids" rule and post signs that the pool is to be use for swimming only....not for social gathering which one can do at the pool on deck. I love the spa area and really recent having to now pay for what was free before. I will pay because I love the spa, but I don't think it is right.

Hey, I totally agree with you. People want to go to the spa to distress from all the pressures of all the noise abord the ship, and distress from the pressures of everday life. I am kinda bummed about the fee, but then again I understand why they had to do that. Now for me recently becoming a grown women, I understand. I would not want noise either.

Century-Eastern Caribbean 9/04:)

Star 11/06 (Can't wait):cool:

Just to update...last week on the Star (8 day Mex Riv 10/5-10/13) the cost to use the spa pools was $78 for the cruise or $15 for the day. Never saw anyone in there. The locker room/sauna/steam is still free...but I'm sure the suits are trying to find a way to charge for them too. Before you know it you will have to rent time on a treadmill!!

Hey DRK,

good statement about treadmills. That's about right. Cruises are fun, but they can charge you evertime you turn around. That's great that the saunas, locker rooms, and steam rooms and free. Maybe there is a way I can sneak into the lap pool for some laps without anyone knowing hee hee.:D

Sen

Archived