Keeping Passports with you

Hockey Nut

Don't overthink and worry constantly about your passport.

Here is how I see it.

Always bring 2 photocopies of your passport with you when traveling. One goes in the room safe at your destination. That would be the cabin safe on a cruise ship. The other is available to be carried separately from your passport during ports of call.

On board the ship, I keep everything in the safe except my seapass card. At ports, I bring along my passport as well as one photocopy stored separately from the passport. It is your proof of identification when in a foreign country. For beach or watersports, there are waterproof ways to safely carry your ID.

If everything is lost or stolen during a port of call, I still have a photocopy of my passport back in my cabin to begin the passport replacement process. You cannot protect against every possible scenario, but I think this approach covers the most likely ones. I am a US citizen so I cannot comment about foreign citizens surrendering their passports during embarkation. However, if I had to surrender my passport while onboard, that would be OK as long as I could get it to carry during ports of call.

The world has changed. It is essential to be able to authenticate your identify at all times when traveling. The downside of losing your passport is minor compared to the downside of not having valid ID when you need it. All countries are worried about security and validation of ID is part of every country's security processes. Not just at point of entry, but anytime a police officer stops and questions someone. Folks, I think you need to carry your passport whenever you leave the ship My opinion only -yours may vary! Everyone needs to make an informed decision.

Good discussion topic! This is important for everyone to think about and know in advance what they plan to do.

I don't disagree with you that we shouldn't have to turn our passports over to the cruiseline, but do you honestly believe that they are doing this without being instructed to by a governement body?

Yes.

When we applied for our most recent passports, the passport agent scolded us for carrying our birth certificates with us. She said we should always carry our passports as a form of ID and leave the birth certificate at home. My passport is in my purse but I live near the Canada/US border and make frequent crossings. The passport definitely speeds up that process.

I don't, however, carry it with me into ports when on a cruise ship. More often than not our passports have been kept by the cruiseline but when they're not they stay in the cabin safe or safety deposit box and we take our driver's licences, photocopy of passport and ship cards for ID.

On the flipside: my niece just spent a semester studying in Paris and had her Canadian passport stolen, not once but twice.

I'm sorry for your niece, that must have been quite a headache!

I studied in Versailles for a year and I don't believe I ever brought my passport with me anywhere in France. We made frequent trips to Paris (at least 1-2 times a week, it's only 1/2 hour away by train) and other areas in France, and I felt the passport was a lot safer at home. Out of the 40 american students there with me, 99% of them did the same. I did bring it when we went on weekend trips to other countries in case I needed it to cross a border (although it is almost never checked between countries that are in the EU).

I just couldn't imagine bringing my passport with me everywhere while I was there. I agree with the poster who said that you are more likely to get your passport stolen than you will need it to show a government official. As far as bringing it with me while at a port, it really would depend on where I am and what I will be doing. I could see both sides of the argument.

Ciderapple, I'm curious if you have had to produce your passport upon request while here in the states? Does this happen often, and by whom (gov't officials or otherwise?) I have a good friend who is not a U.S. Citizen but has lived here for the past 6 years. While she has a passport & visa (of course) she chose to get an ID card (which looks like a driver's license) that she uses on a daily basis for banking, providing proof of age while ordering alcohol, etc. No one ever bats an eye at it, because it is a state document and looks familiar to people. Is this a possibility for you?

Either way, I am saddended that you should receive anything but the most warm welcome here. I had the opportunity to travel to England while I lived in France and everyone I met was unbelievably friendly there. Should you find yourself in Chicago let me know and we can toast our countries' alliance with a cocktail!!!:)

Cheers

Archived