Couple of questions about tipping

TwinsMommy

Hi,

I read somewhere that you do not tip Matre De because they are ship officers. Is that correct? The last thing I want to do is offending someone by tipping them. :o

Also, we'd like to tip the staff extra (in addition to the default $10 pp/day). Should we just give them the extra tips right after the service or wait till the end of cruise?

I heard that room service is free, you just have to tip them? Is that correct? How much do you usually tip them?

For people have used the children program, how much do you tip the counselors?

This is really not related to tipping, but exatly what drinks are "free" since you have to pay for soft drinks?

Thanks.

Correct tipping Matre De is outside the normal crew tip ...

just give any crew you feel deserving a cash tip, in person on the last night.

Room service is free!!!

Free drinks include all jucies, tea coffee, milk, water,

no booze, no soda, ...

John

Hi,

I heard that room service is free, you just have to tip them? Is that correct? How much do you usually tip them?

I estimated how much the order WOULD have cost in a hotel, and based the tip on that. Two sandwiches, a DoD and a beer? $30 worth - good for a $5 tip. One sandwich and nothing else? $2 tip.

The Maitre D' gets a salary that doesn't depend on tips to be a decent income, so no, you don't need to tip.

For the waitstaff and steward, we tip at the end of the cruise, although we might tip the steward extra during the cruise if we have a special request. We tip favorite bar servers during the cruise as well.

Room service IS free, but a small tip is in order for the person delivering it to your cabin. A small order, $1 or $2. We tip $2 because $1 sounds small to us. For larger orders, larger tips. It's at your discretion.

Matre De

Tip the staff extra

Room service

Free drinks

Tip the maitre' d if you make a request of them and you feel that they went out of their way to accomodate you, or if you just happen to like them a lot. Lloyd on the Destiny a couple of years ago was so charming, I couldn't help but give him a tip at the end. Although we didn't ask for anything special of him, he always stopped by our table at dinner (he didn't stop at all of the tables).

We will generally give extra cash to our wait team, cabin steward and their assistant on the last day/night of the cruise.

Yes, room service is free, but a tip is customary. We would order two carafes of coffee (reg and decaf) every morning and tip $2.

No kids using Camp Carnival, but I've heard that tipping is appreciated.

Any beverage that is self-serve is free. There are dispensers at various locations on the ship with different beverages.

On our last cruise, they asked us to consider "expressing our appreciation" to the MD. We do anyway, because we always ask for a table for two; if we hadn't asked for some special service like that, I'm not 100% sure if we would have... well, actually, probably -- just because "heck, we're on vacation -- what's another $20?", but you certainly shouldn't feel you have to.

Twins, the maitre d' is not an officer. He is also not included in the automatic tips. Some folks do tip him the last evening in an envelope (provided in your cabin). $5 seems to be what I hear most. I don't tip the maitre d' unless he has provided a specific service for me.

Room service tipping - I tip $1 for coffee and croissants only, but $2 for larger orders like sandwiches, salads, desserts.

For your other question, here's something I posted awhile back:

Beverages included in the cost of your cruise:

Lido buffet area - Iced tea, hot water & tea bags, coffee, decaf, hot chocolate, juice varieties, water, lemonade, fruitpunch. On buffet, milk, skim milk, chocolate milk.

Dining room - Iced tea, hot tea, coffee, water, decaf, milk, chocolate milk, juices, espresso and cappuccino.

Room service - MOST of the beverages that are available on Lido, but not lemonade or fruitpunch.

Also - on sea day afternoons, there is 'tea time', where tea and coffee are served (white gloved service), along with tea food, i.e., tiny sandwiches, scones, lemon curd, petit fours, etc. Very nice, and no charge.:)

Hi,

I read somewhere that you do not tip Matre De because they are ship officers. Is that correct? The last thing I want to do is offending someone by tipping them. :o

Also, we'd like to tip the staff extra (in addition to the default $10 pp/day). Should we just give them the extra tips right after the service or wait till the end of cruise?

For people have used the children program, how much do you tip the counselors?

This is really not related to tipping, but exatly what drinks are "free" since you have to pay for soft drinks?

Thanks.

Carnival posts a list of recommended tips. Follow it and you will be fine.

Archived