Hotels in Miami

Karencruiser43

Can anybody recommend a hotel in Miami, close to the Art deco district under $200 per night. I have read reviews of many hotels but none that really strike me as a place to stay due to the bad reviews. Can anybody recommend a hotel that they have recently stayed in that they enjoyed. Many thanks.

We haven't stayed there yet, but based on reviews on tripadvisor, hotels.com, and a few others, we booked three nights post cruise at the Winter Haven in SoBe. http://www.winterhavenhotelsobe.com/ Great reviews, perfect location, and good price since they are under exterior construction now. When are you going? We will be back Nov. 20th and will gladly give reviews then. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the Navigator of the Seas. Pre-crise we stayed at the fountainbleu Hilton and really enjoyed it. HOWEVER, post-cruise we stayed a small boutique hotel in South Beach. The New Clinton Hotel. It was awesome! Great room, great service, nice pool area. The restaurant "8 1/2" was unbelieveable! I think it was $167.00 per night.

Can anybody recommend a hotel in Miami, close to the Art deco district under $200 per night. I have read reviews of many hotels but none that really strike me as a place to stay due to the bad reviews. Can anybody recommend a hotel that they have recently stayed in that they enjoyed. Many thanks.

What are your dates? The reason I ask is during certain times the exact same hotel room can fluctuate $200 in price. Off season a hotel room may cost $150 and during a busy time period the same hotel room will cost $350.

I know South Beach very well and can help you if you give me a few details.

Also, how many people?

We just returned from the Navigator of the Seas. Pre-crise we stayed at the fountainbleu Hilton and really enjoyed it. HOWEVER, post-cruise we stayed a small boutique hotel in South Beach. The New Clinton Hotel. It was awesome! Great room, great service, nice pool area. The restaurant "8 1/2" was unbelieveable! I think it was $167.00 per night.

We are to go on the Navigator also in January and have the Fountainbleu booked. I, however have 10 people going and I am paying for their pre-cruise hotel room there. Trying to find something alittle more reasonable and cant seem to find anything. did the fountainbleu have transportation to southbeach? was the pool and beach nice? any help appreciated.

thanks much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCreg - We are also looking at staying at the Fontainebleau Resort next October before our Freedom of the Seas cruise. Would like to know if you stayed in the new Tower Suites section and if so, how was the room? Are there many restaurants nearby (within walking distance or a short cab ride) or is everything far away? I know South Beach is only supposed to be about $8 or so in a cab, but what I really want to know is there other restaurants/nightlife/shopping nearby the Fontainebleau? We don't plan on renting a car and want to stay for a couple of nights. Any help would be appreciated.

Canuck

CCCCreg - We are also looking at staying at the Fontainebleau Resort next October before our Freedom of the Seas cruise. Would like to know if you stayed in the new Tower Suites section and if so, how was the room? Are there many restaurants nearby (within walking distance or a short cab ride) or is everything far away? I know South Beach is only supposed to be about $8 or so in a cab, but what I really want to know is there other restaurants/nightlife/shopping nearby the Fontainebleau? We don't plan on renting a car and want to stay for a couple of nights. Any help would be appreciated.

Canuck

Mid Beach is a bad area to be carless in.

BlueHerons - We don't mind paying for a cab as long as it is not $30 each way or something like that. I read that it is about $8 each way to South Beach. Do you know how much it would be to Coconut Grove and to the Port for the cruise, by any chance? Thanks.

Canuck

BlueHerons - We don't mind paying for a cab as long as it is not $30 each way or something like that. I read that it is about $8 each way to South Beach. Do you know how much it would be to Coconut Grove and to the Port for the cruise, by any chance? Thanks.

Canuck

Coconut Grove would be at least $25 by cab and a little less to the port. South Beach is only about 20 blocks south of you so a cab should be less than $10.

The only problem with the Fountainbleu (I love this old historical hotel!) is that you really can't walk anywhere because traffic is too heavy. You can walk to South Beach via the boardwalk along the beach if a mile isn't too far for you.

One of my favorite restaurants anywhere, The Forge, is very close to the hotel. Expensive but fabulous.

You can eat breakfast and lunch at the hotel and cab to South Beach for dinner. Check out Marks, Wish, or Nobu for excellent dining but bring your wallet, all will run you about $200 for dinner for two.

BlueHerons - Thanks for the info. Do you know if there are any "oceanfront" restaurants nearby with outdoor dining (we smoke)? I think I read somewhere that the Eden Roc next door had outdoor dining. I have heard of The Forge - do you know if they have outdoor dining? Thanks so much.

Canuck

Blueherons, we are booked at the Winterhaven Hotel, are we going to have trouble parking? Will it be expensive? Any comments about the hotel or area? Thanks!

Call the hotel and ask if they have valet. It should run you about $20 per day.

Forget street parking unless you want to constantly run around feeding meters. They are checked all the time and you will be ticketed and towed if the meter runs out.

If you street parking in a residential area without a permit, you will also be towed.

There may be a city garage near you and they are much more reasonable at around $14 per day.

What are the cross streets or address of the Winterhaven?

BlueHerons - Thanks for the info. Do you know if there are any "oceanfront" restaurants nearby with outdoor dining (we smoke)? I think I read somewhere that the Eden Roc next door had outdoor dining. I have heard of The Forge - do you know if they have outdoor dining? Thanks so much.

Canuck

The Forge doesn't have outdoor dining.

The Eden Roc and Fountainbleu will both have outdoor pool bar type snack bars but I'm not sure about evening dining.

South Beach is really big on outdoor dining.

Blue Door at The Delano is outdoor and is oceanfront but you can't see the ocean.

I can't think of any restaurants truly on the ocean besides The Rusty Pelican and the marina on the bay side of South Beach. Azul at the Mandarin Oriental but that is all the way almost back downtown.

One thing about being oceanfront at night is that the ocean breezes really kick up which would make it not a comfortable situation.

BlueHerons - Thanks for the info. We ate at Oceans 12 (I think that is what it was called - restaurant on Ocean Dr. with a pool in the middle of it) last year and it was beyond terrible for food, service and price. We don't eat seafood - we are big meat eaters - any suggestions for a great restaurant with any kind of outdoor dining? Thanks so much.

Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated. Their address is 1400 Ocean Drive - corner of Ocean & 14th St.

There is a city garage at either 14th and Collins or 12th and Collins Avenue which will be very close to your hotel. You can park there for $14 per day!

We did stay in the new Tower Suites. The rooms were very nice and spacious. There is a lot of construction there now(the hotel is completely closed fr renovation) but the pool area and beach is very nice.

We ate dinner ate dinner at Shula's Steakhouse in the Alexander Hotel. It was good as always. It is a short walk down from the Fountainbleu.

We did stay in the new Tower Suites. The rooms were very nice and spacious. There is a lot of construction there now(the hotel is completely closed fr renovation) but the pool area and beach is very nice.

We ate dinner ate dinner at Shula's Steakhouse in the Alexander Hotel. It was good as always. It is a short walk down from the Fountainbleu.

We have four rooms booked here for January, but thinking of staying at the Hyatt instead. We will not have our own car. It seems that the fountainbleu has much nicer rooms, but the area is not too good. Were the pool and beach open. Any place for a quick bite to eat when we arrive around 9pm on Thursday night? We are hoping to go to South Beach for dinner on Friday night. We are really unsure...

Like i said, we stayed there and loved it. The Pool bar was open and served surpisingly good food. They also had good music. We walked around some and never felt uncomfortable. The beach and the pool are both open and awesome.:)

Archived