Boarding The Sea out of Houston

ZotBot

Hi,

We are due to sail out of Houston on August 28th. I am trying to book a flight out of NY and am wondering if I should book the 6am that gets in at 8:30 or the 8am that gets in at 10:30?

I was pushing for the 6am just in case there is a delay. Don't want to miss the boat on my first cruise but tell me... how early do they usually let you board. I don't want to be sitting outside for hours either.... that Texas sun is sure beautiful but can kill ya!

Also as far as the shuttle goes.. how long do you usually have to wait for it to fill up?

Thanks

:)

Hi, We sailed from Houston 2 years ago, and the taxi-driver got lost on his way from the international airport to the cruise terminal, then he had the nerve to charge us for all the extra miles he had travelled. He went to the commercial port first and then had to ask the way and double back. Just a warning in case you take a taxi! The fare was about $100.

We didn't take the shuttle, so I don't know how long you will have to wait for it. Depending on which airport you are flying into (I assume it is IAH since you're taking the shuttle), it's about 45 minutes from the pier. We flew in the night before, but you should be o.k. with the earlier flight. With no delays, the later one would work, but I'd be a little worried the whole time. We flew out of Salt Lake City in January, and just didn't want to worry about possible snow delays. I doubt you will be concerned with that in August ;) , but there could possibly be hurricane problems.

We boarded the ship between 11:30 and noon, and I don't think they normally let you on much before that. I'm still amazed that they are able to get everyone off the ship, clean and restock it, and turn it around quickly enough to board and leave by afternoon.

Seems to me that you would be cutting it pretty fine by taking the later flight.

With all that could go wrong - flight delays, security, traffic between airport and the port, etc. - you might be wise to go early. Would be a shame to miss sailing because of other factors that are totally out of your control. Personally, I would fly in the day before and stay overnight close to the port. We drove down from Canada for a January cruise. We were unsure of travel time, weather, possible car problems, etc. so left good and early. Arrived in Houston Thursday afternoon for a Saturday sailing - probably too early but after that long drive we really enjoyed laying around, enjoying the Texas hospitality, doing last minute shopping for odds and ends we forgot to pack, checking out how to get to the port, etc.

NCL says that they pick up between 9am and 1:30 pm so you will be fine arriving at 10:30. We are on a flight that arrives at 10:30 the day of the cruise. I figured the 3 hour cushion is plenty in case of flight delays since we are on a direct flight. We sailed on the Sea out of Houston several years ago and had no problem flying in the same day. I usually decide on when to fly based upon a couple of factors. Direct flight = I will fly in the morning of the cruise. If I have to change planes, I come in the day before. Winter = come in the day before due to the possibility of weather delays.

As far as the bus goes, they will have a list of the passengers and their flight times so they will wait if others are arriving after you unless they have another bus behind yours. Most cruise lines will have several buses with staggered times. Sometimes we have boarded and left within 15 minutes. Other times we have waited close to an hour.

Here is the Port of Houston web site. http://www.*****.com/houston/portinfo.htm

Also NCL has directions on their site.

The site lists $7 a day for Parking and the lot is real close to the terminal. If your luggage has wheels and you have no problems walking say the lenght of a football field (maybe less) I would park first other wise you can drive up to the terminal and drop off luggage then park. enjoy your cruise.

My wife and I sailed the Sea in May. I think they started boarding passengers around 10:30AM.

If I were you I would take the early flight for the same reasons mentioned.

I'm assuming you will be flyinf into IAH, I'd take the NCL transfer package. It is a long way from IAH to the Terminal. And once you get on the bus the ship will wait on you.

The day we left, it was raining cats and dogs. We didn't leave til about 6:30PM. They were waiting on several passengers to get to the port.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise.

Hello,

Embarkation on the Sea is usually around 11:00am - 11:30. usually depends on the weather (fog) in the Houston port and the traffic comming in the Channel. if there is a tanker in the channel the ship will come in later as there can by no ships in the channel when a tanker is comming in or out due to safty and security reasons. generally the ship comes in around 6 or 7 am and clears imagration around 9 then disembarkation begins, also sometimes the ship leaves Houston late because of the luggage. the luggage comes on the ship a little different than most NCL which takes longer.

good luck on the Sea!

Archived