Century's new Sunset Veranda....?

mitaxi

Yes, we weren't bothered by the lack of privacy, either. Besides, my dad LOVES to "people watch" - he also thought the best part was that we got such a huge "viewing angle" from the balcony. In a normal balcony, you can only see what's going on on your own side of the ship - but we could look all the way forward on the starboard side, around the aft, and over to the port/aft quarter of the ship. It was great!

As for sunning, I spent a great deal of time sitting in a chair, reading and gazing out at the water (it never ceases to amaze me how many different shades of BLUE there are in the water!!). My little sister approached it differently - she stretched out on her beach towel right on the balcony deck, and got some great sun.

The housekeeping staff was marvelous. Joyce took wonderful care of us throughout the trip!

I'm sure you will LOVE the Century - she is simply incredible!

Beth

Thanks so much for your review... now I have to ask... as you had stated the blaconies are lareger than they look, so,, is the balcony for 1244 and 1251.... just odly shaped.... large enough for a few chairs...etc..??

Yes, the balconies for 1244 and 1251 were much larger than I had expected... I've sailed in a standard balcony cabin on Princess before (Ocean Princess), and these balconies were at least that size. They were deeper than they look on the deck plan, and there was plenty of room for the same square table and two chairs that I had in cabin 1242. I can't remember if the two "inside balconies" (cabins 1246 and 1253) had the table and chairs or lounge chairs - but they certainly had room for the loungers - those balconies were really quite large (compared to what I'm used to, which is a standard-sized balcony).

:-)

Hope this helps - feel free to ask anything else.

Beth

Luvin' Cruisin' :

Thank you so much for your excellentdescription of the SV's. I have booked #1253 and from what you've said, the balcony may be a bit larger:D I can't wait to see your pictures!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi gang -

Sorry it's taken me so long to get these posted... and I thought I had taken more, but here's what I've got.

When you first walk in the door, you see the sofabed and minifridge - as well as one of the large picture windows and a small, round table with chair.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Sofabed-Century1242.jpg

Walk down that little hall to the sofabed, and turn to the left, and on your right will be the long dresser (that curves along the outside wall) - with the flat-panel TV - and the second large picture window.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Dresser-Century1242.jpg

From that same spot (in between the two sections of the room), the bed(s) are on the left. You can see that we had the beds set up as twins - but when we first came in, they were set up as a queen. As a queen, it just looked like the foot of the bed was rounded - but as twins, the "rounding" took too much length off the bed (IMHO - I'm 6' tall, and the short side was WAY too short). There are cabinets above each bed, and a drawer and shelf in each nightstand. You can also see the closet on the right side of this photo. Past the beds on the right is the door to the balcony. At the far left side of the photo is the heavy curtain that could be pulled across to separate the "sofa" part of the room from the "bed" part of the room.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Beds-Century1242.jpg

Here's a photo of the bathroom, with the lovely sink that was very messy.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Bathroom-Century1242.jpg

Here's a photo of the balcony, taken from the balcony door, looking straight out to the side of the ship. You can see the table with two chairs - a lovely spot for breakfast or cocktails!

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Balconylookingout-Century1242.jpg

And here's a photo of the balcony taken from the rail, looking back towards/into the cabin. Here you can see that there was also a sort of lounge chair (not a full lounger, but comfy when propping your feet up on the rail) - and you can see the odd shape of the balcony.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Balconylookingin-Century1242.jpg

Here's a view from the balcony, looking over to the port side of the ship (yes, I know it's labelled wrong!) :-) You get a good view of the canvas that covers the Sunset Bar on deck 11. At the center right, you can see part of the balcony for cabin 1244. That canvas provides some measure of privacy for the balconies for cabins 1244, 1246, 1253, and 1251 - you have to really try to see up into those balconies. That is not the case for cabin 1242, as you can see - you have an unobstructed view to the Sunset Bar - and vice versa!

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Balconylookingaft-starboard-Century.jpg

Finally, here's a view directly aft from the balcony of 1242:

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p303/LuvinCruisin/Century%20Cabin%201242/?action=view&current=Balconylookingaft-Century1242.jpg

And finally finally - Travelocity has posted a photo of the interior of the other Sunset Veranda cabins (don't you wish Celebrity would update their web site?) - here it is:

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/StateroomDetailsPopup.do?shipId=62&deckId=373&stateRoomId=524

That's all I've got - - please let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be going back to Century on Feb 1st for the 4-night cruise (will be in a standard balcony cabin next month). I can take more photos from the outside (from the Sunset Bar), if anyone's interested.

Have a great day!!

Beth

Thanks for posting your photos. :)I was on the westbound CENTURY TA in late October, and asked the occupant of your cabin if I could take some pictures. Come to find out, they were less than happy with the lack of privacy and none too disposed to be helpful to anyone else. :eek: It's a real service for you to post these pictures, and many of us are grateful.

Cheers~

Nicki

It was absolutely my pleasure! I was just delighted with the cabin - in the very limited info I found before and after I booked my cruise, I expected the cabin to be the same shape/size as the other SV's, with potentially a very tiny balcony. I couldn't have been happier with the cabin - it was huge and gorgeous - and the balcony was great, even with its total lack of privacy.

I will try to take more photos of the balconies from the Sunset Bar next month, and will post them here, as well.

Hope you're all having a great evening!!

Beth

Lucky you. Another cruise and we haven't taken ours yet. Your pictures really got me going. I think 1242 will be amazing. We love to people watch so it looks ideal. I would be interested in any other pictures you can take in Feb of the outside. It looks like it has a window on a side wall as well as the balcony door. We will be so spoiled - may never be able to handle an inside cabin again.

Thanks for the pictures.

Melissa :p

Hi Melissa -

Sorry to jump in front of you (in the waiting for the next cruise line) - when my girlfriends decided we needed a girls' weekend, the Century started calling again so loudly I just couldn't ignore it!!

You will LOVE 1242. It actually has two large picture windows. From the outside, I thought it looked pretty industrial, but inside - WOW! It's gorgeous, and cozy, and incredibly roomy.

Beth

Thanks FLAgator for the photo album. Your pictures are terrific.

We booked a Sky Suite on Deck 12 on the Century and your pictures have gotten us really excited. This is our first cruise on Celebrity and it looks like we are going to be spoiled. Having a butler will be intersting. We're thinking breakfast on the veranda is the wa to go...

Patstar

Char - I didn't know where else to upload my pics. That is where I always get stuff from friends so I thought I would try it. I already had an account from being a viewer, too. Any thoughts on another photo upload site to try? Thanks!

I tell you what, Melissa - I went through a REALLY bad year last year - shattered my wrist, tore the cartilage in my knee, got the chicken pox and an intestinal infection, AND DH had heart surgery - all within a six week period. The recovery from all of this is still ongoing - I'm hoping that walking and bending my wrist will someday be pain-free. (I'm so glad that you're getting around so well!!) Anyway, now all of this goodness suddenly seems pretty overwhelming! I will definitely take more exterior pictures this time, and will give you a full report.

Have a wonderful day - Beth

Hi Melissa -

Sorry to jump in front of you (in the waiting for the next cruise line) - when my girlfriends decided we needed a girls' weekend' date=' the Century started calling again so loudly I just couldn't ignore it!!

You will LOVE 1242. It actually has two large picture windows. From the outside, I thought it looked pretty industrial, but inside - WOW! It's gorgeous, and cozy, and incredibly roomy.

Beth[/quote']

We just got from a B2B on the Century. We went to check out #1242. Beth, it is really spectacular. I would book that in a heart beat. Your pics are great but you have to really be in that room to see what the configuration and extra windows do for it. The balcony location gives you a good view of the sea on the aft side of the ship. Thanks for sharing with us.

Yep - I think 1242 is really an extraordinary room - and I agree, my photos couldn't possibly do it justice!

Melissa - I didn't take pictures last week (SORRY!), but Radio posted a great photo of 1242's balcony, from down at the Sunset Bar:

http://img.clubphoto.com/jerboa/203954286/600/null/image.jpg

You can see that the balcony is fully exposed to the Sunset Bar - but it is quite large, and again, that didn't bother me in the least. Also, this photo only shows one of the two large picture windows in the cabin. I'm sure you will LOVE this cabin!

Beth

We just got from a B2B on the Century. We went to check out #1242. Beth, it is really spectacular. I would book that in a heart beat. Your pics are great but you have to really be in that room to see what the configuration and extra windows do for it. The balcony location gives you a good view of the sea on the aft side of the ship. Thanks for sharing with us.

We are thinking of doing B2B on the Century. We have been on 14 cruises but never shorter than 7 nights. Do they make you get off the ship between the cruises and if so how long? Thanks Bill and Lyn

We are thinking of doing B2B on the Century. We have been on 14 cruises but never shorter than 7 nights. Do they make you get off the ship between the cruises and if so how long? Thanks Bill and Lyn

Yes, you have to get off. We gathered in a group in the Rendez Vous Lounge. After other passengers have disemabarked. You are led off the ship. You have to show your passports to Customs. When the ship is cleared, you can get back on. The process took max an hour.

• 1 year later...
Yes' date=' the balconies for 1244 and 1251 were much larger than I had expected... I've sailed in a standard balcony cabin on Princess before (Ocean Princess), and these balconies were at least that size. They were deeper than they look on the deck plan, and there was plenty of room for the same square table and two chairs that I had in cabin 1242. I can't remember if the two "inside balconies" (cabins 1246 and 1253) had the table and chairs or lounge chairs - but they certainly had room for the loungers - those balconies were really quite large (compared to what I'm used to, which is a standard-sized balcony).

:-)

Hope this helps - feel free to ask anything else.

Beth[/quote']

Is 1242 larger on the inside than the other 4 Sunset Veranda cabins, particularly the two eith the larger balconies?

Given the choice, which would you pick and why?

Archived