Century's new Sunset Veranda....?

mitaxi

It appears that there are only five sunset veranda staterooms on the refurbished Century. They are located at the back of the Sports deck.

My son and I are staying on cabin 1251 on April 7th. It appears to have a smaller balcony then 1253, 1246, and 1242. 1244 looks to have the same size balcony as my stateroom. I know the rooms are larger (191 square ft and the balconies are 46 square ft.)

I think the reason that no one has posted yet is that there are only five of these.

It appears that there are only five sunset veranda staterooms on the refurbished Century. They are located at the back of the Sports deck.

My son and I are staying on cabin 1251 on April 7th. It appears to have a smaller balcony then 1253, 1246, and 1242. 1244 looks to have the same size balcony as my stateroom. I know the rooms are larger (191 square ft and the balconies are 46 square ft.)

I think the reason that no one has posted yet is that there are only five of these.

What makes these cabins worth the extra cost? Thanks. Karen

I am booked on Century in September for Best of Europe. I was wondering what people had to say about the ship in itself. It looks absolutely gorgeous on the X website.

Anyone out there that has been on Century since the "rehab" of the old girl?!

I did a bit of research on these cabins as I was interested in booking one. Just to make you aware that the deck plan on the X website is wrong, certainly as far as 1242 is concerned. It appears from photos that that the cabin size is larger than shown and the balcony is a funny shape and not in the place indicated on the deck plan. I'll try to illustrate this with pictures. Click on picture for bigger view. Firstly before construction.

2738347770054958397lpEJOP_th.jpg

Then during construction adding the extra cabin section (note the removal of the stairs)

2327785640054958397CClTIy_th.jpg

And then finished with an odd shaped balcony overlooking the Sunset Bar (you can see where the stairs were).

2615452090054958397bPGJid_th.jpg

Phil

I got a good price on the sunset veranda- it was just a little more than a regular balcony stateroom. It is more square feet than a balcony stateroom but is not a CC stateroom. I just thought I would give it ago. I have seemed to have good luck with my Celebrity staterooms. I do like where it is located and even though there is a bar underneath- from the photos it looks like the white bar awnings give you some privacy from the people down below. I really don't care even if I can wave down to the bar- I am a social butterfly!

We also have one of these cabins booked for a December cruise. We choose it for the extra space since our older son is coming along. Would love to see a picture of the interior of one of these rooms. Maybe they are upgrading anyone who has one of these rooms to a Royal Suite, thats why there are no interior pictures. We can dream.

from the photos it looks like the white bar awnings give you some privacy from the people down below. I really don't care even if I can wave down to the bar- I am a social butterfly!

We had one reserved for our Aug. 26 cruie, but switched to a Sky Suite instead.

I don't think you'll be waving to people, there's at best a small area where someone will be able to look up and see your balcony, but I imagine you'll hear everything going on at the Sunset Bar.

I agree with Phil's assessment of cabin 1242 - photos show that it is very different from the deck plan. I'll be in that cabin in December. There will be three of us, so I'm grateful for the extra room inside - but I'm hoping the balcony isn't just tiny. I will definitely post pictures when I get back!

Hi -

I have three of these cabins booked by family members on a cruise leaving on 11/18. I promise I'll post upon return. We tend to stay out late so I'm not worried about music from the bar below. I'm more concerned about cigar smoke after seeing one of the photos posted here!

So for a couple more weeks.... the suspense builds. Hope someone else will post who has already stayed in one of these!

Lisa D

Pittsburgh

Century 11/18, family thanksgiving cruise

• 1 month later...

Had a SV on the December &th cruise for about three hours, before we upgraded to sky suite. An SV we found is the same size as a standard cabin, Approximately 174Sq Ft internally. Also appeared to have less storage. It did not fit well with the three people in the cabin so we upgraded when we got on the ship. Hope this helps.

I agree with Phil's assessment of cabin 1242 - photos show that it is very different from the deck plan. I'll be in that cabin in December. There will be three of us' date=' so I'm grateful for the extra room inside - but I'm hoping the balcony isn't just tiny. I will definitely post pictures when I get back![/quote']

I was on Century in Sept 06 with instructions to check out 1242 for friends who booked it for the TA ...they would have been disappointed.. I took photos of the balcony from the bar below and emailed them to them when we got home. It is definitely a peculiar shape balcony... there was a small table and two chairs on the narrow part. On the last night I phoned the occupants and asked them what they thought of the cabin..they said it was the best cabin they had been in...so maybe the balcony shape etc isn't such a drawback, but there was no privacy on it as far as I could see.

Hi gang -

I stayed in SV cabin 1242 on the Dec 2nd sailing - I meant to post this info and my photos as soon as I returned home... but reality beckoned, and I still haven't downloaded my photos... Oh well, let me tell you what I saw.

I absolutely LOVED the cabin! It was nice and big - plenty roomy for three adults. It did have a fold-down upper berth (which would have accomodated a fourth person) - that would have been a bit too cozy for four adults, but it would have been fine for two adults and two kids. Please note that the deck plans are WRONG for this cabin... The inside part of cabin 1242 is the same shape as the Family cabin on the port side of the ship (1249) - and then the balcony takes up most of the "white space" shown to the right of the cabin on the deck plans.

First - a description of the cabin: The cabin can be divided into two sections - the sitting area and the bed area (there's a heavy curtain that you can pull to divide the areas for privacy, reading/TV, etc.). When you step into the cabin, the bathroom (nice and roomy by cruiseship standards) is on the left. Stepping into the cabin, you go down a (very!) small "hallway" past the bathroom. Straight ahead is a small sofa (which makes into a full-size bed) - and the fold-down bunk is above the sofa. Also in this sitting area are a dressing table, small chair and round glass table. Just past the round table, a dresser curves around the outside wall - this provides tons of storage (we didn't come close to filling all the drawers and closet space). A flat-panel TV sits on this dresser. The closet is just past the dresser, on the outside wall that is the starboard side of the ship. The bed(s) sit across from the dresser, with the headboard up against the wall that is shared with cabin 1240. Because of the shape of the cabin, the bed is rounded - that is, the "foot-end" of the bed is rounded so that you can walk around the bed to the balcony door. The balcony door (not a big sliding door, but a standard size door made entirely of glass) is in the far corner of the room, up against the balcony of cabin 1240. There are two large picture windows - one overlooks the canopy that covers the Sunset Bar, and the other overlooks the Sunset Bar directly. (Yes, we did have to close the curtains when we changed clothes at night.)

The balcony: The balcony is shaped a bit oddly - the first 2 feet or so are wider, as the balcony follows the curve of the outside wall... then it just extends straight out to the side of the ship. It's about 6-7 feet wide at its narrowest point, and is about 19-20 feet long (from the cabin to the side of the ship). It had two chairs and a square table - a great spot and size for breakfast or cocktails. Here's the downside - there is NO privacy at all, from above or below. When I was up very early in the morning, or very late at night, I comfortable being outside in my bathrobe - but the Sunset Bar was such a popular spot that I learned to pull on shorts and a t-shirt earlier than I might have otherwise. I had been concerned about being disturbed by noise from the bar area - but this was never the case. In fact, we never did hear the guitarist that played there in the evenings. We never really heard any noise at all inside the cabin, and were not bothered at all by conversations when we were on the balcony. In other words, we could all see each other, but the sound did not travel up to the balcony.

The cabin was decorated beautifully, with all new carpet, drapes, bedding, etc. It really was gorgeous - and a very comfortable place to spend some time. The biggest downside for me was the bed. I'm 6' tall, and the bed was way too short - especially since the foot-end was rounded - and more especially since the beds were apart (it might have been easier to deal with if they were in a queen-size configuration). Imagine a very narrow twin-size bed, that's about a foot shorter on one side than the other... As it turned out, the sofa bed was the best bed in the room. It was a full-size - maybe wider - and was incredibly comfortable. It was a little short for my 6'3" dad, but the width and overall comfort more than made up for that. I kept trying to arm-wrestle him for it, but he flat refused to trade beds with me. :-)

I mentioned that the bathroom seemed roomy to me - I especially appreciated the good-sized shower. My one complaint was the sink. It was lovely, but just not practical. It wasn't very big, and we couldn't help but splash and spill water on the counter and floor all the time.

We also peaked into two of the other SV cabins on the last morning. Cabins 1244 and 1246 looked to be identical, and seemed to be arranged like typical, rectangular ship cabins. They were good-sized, but weren't nearly as big as 1242. The balconies for cabins 1244, 1246, 1251, and 1253 are all shaped just as they are shown in the deck plans - I was surprised to find that they are all much larger than I had expected. I looked up into the balconies of the other SV cabins from the Sunset Bar... All of them offer MUCH more privacy than 1242 - because of the canopy covering most of the Sunset Bar area, you have to really try to see up onto the balconies. The two center balconies looked huge, with some covered space and some uncovered area.

As I mentioned, I did take pictures, but haven't downloaded them just yet. Once I do, I'll be sure to share them with you. In the meantime, please let me know if you have any questions.

Happy cruising!!

Beth

I am so happy I didn't change my cabin from 1242. It sounds great!! I don't think the lack of privacy will be an issue for us. The short bed may be for DH (another 6'3" cruiser). Maybe we'll let him have the full-size and my DD and I can share the round bed. I'm sure we'll manage.

Did you get much sun on the balcony? How was the housekeeping staff?

Can't wait to see the pictures.

:D

Melissa

Archived