Seabourn New Ships Poll!

what's your wish list of features for the new ships?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. what's your wish list of features for the new ships?

• boutique restaurant helmed by celebrity chef
    • bigger staterooms with more elaborate bathrooms
    • sports platform with kayaks, scuba, etc.
    • dedicated facility for enrichment (computer classes, etc.)
    • ballroom
    • more elaborate spa and fitness facilities

I agree with many of you! A bigger pool would be perfect, where you actually could swim!

And what about a small cinema, for those people like my husband, who love to watch a good (new) movie. I haven't seen anybody mention that yet. Anybody interested as well?

Marja,

I think, if done right, a small cinema would work on a 450 passenger Seabourn Yacht. I too have, in cruises past, enjoyed watching current movies. I loved the cinema on the Royal Viking Sun with those roomy and cushy seats. Since sailing on Seabourn, when they have had movies in the main show room, I have been elsewhere in another venue. However, watching a good movie while sitting in a comfortable chair ... well I may just want to check it out!

I agree with Lord, I think with the DVD players in the suites and the complimentary DVDs in the library, there isn't much of a need for a movie theater. I'd rather see the space used for something more interesting, like a solarium or maybe a games room. ( a great place for the trivia buffs to congregate!)

Cinema... Interesting.

I am trying to think what the smallest ship I know of that has a cinema is. I know Hapag-Lloyd's HANSEATIC has one and she is smaller than the current Seabourn ships let alone the new ones!

What I would really like to see is a wrap-around promenade deck, something no "luxury" ship since ROYAL VIKING SUN has had. I don't care for balconies; give me a nice promenade deck any day!

What I would really like to see is a wrap-around promenade deck, something no "luxury" ship since ROYAL VIKING SUN has had. I don't care for balconies; give me a nice promenade deck any day!
Host Doug, as an avid walker, a wraparound promenade deck has been a must for me but now, it seems to be out of vogue with the newbuilds. I beg to differ with your statement that no luxury ship since RV Sun has a wraparound promenade deck. The QM2 has a wonderfully wide promenade deck! Sunworshippers can sit in their deck chairs at the rail to soak up the rays and those whishing for more shelter can relax with their books next to the superstructure (with QM2 zipping along at 30 knots, it can get a little breezy redgardless of the wind conditions) and enough real estate in between for walkers and joggers to coexist pecefully. Unless, of course, you do not consider QM2 "luxe" enough for your tastes or the "class system" eliminates her from "luxury" ship status.

In Alaska this summer, the small ship I was on had a wrap-around promenade deck. (Cruise West, Spirit of Oceanus) My suite was on it and I found that there were constant passersby. If I was inside, I had to keep the sheers closed so they wouldn't look in. I used to wave at some of them. However, the last straw was when one of the walkers told me to get my bed made since it was a 'messy' suite.

Cheeky devil! I cautioned my TA not to book passengers on that level again.

Jane

Host Doug, as an avid walker, a wraparound promenade deck I beg to differ with your statement that no luxury ship since RV Sun has a wraparound promenade deck. The QM2 has a wonderfully wide promenade deck! ... Unless, of course, you do not consider QM2 "luxe" enough for your tastes or the "class system" eliminates her from "luxury" ship status.

Yes, I don't count her as "luxury"... Cunard may claim this but if you look at the fares and experience the product (in Britannia class, anyway) I really don't think she qualifies.

Grill Class is luxury priced and (possibly?) luxury quality, but the majority of the ship is in the same class as HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc.; that is to say the so-called "premium" segment.

I agree with both Hosts. i did two transatlantic crossings on the QM2 in Princess Grill which was lovely with excellent food and service. However once you step out of the Grill or its lounge you are on a mass market ship with 2600 passengers. There were people carrying trays looking for seats in the Kings Court, there were people crowded at the sales tables in front of the boutiques to buy gold by the inch and fake jewelry supposedly fashioned after jewelry worn by old movie stars, there were discount Tee shirt tables set up in the corridors. I think you get my point. This is not a luxury ship except in the Grill restaurants and lounge.

Disagree as follows to QM 2 comments:

Based on two crossings, food and service in Brittania are excellent.....on par with Crystal and Oceania, not equal to Seabourn, but, well above Rad/Regent, and, a bit above Silverseas.

Yes, you avoid King's Court always. You lunch in the dining room and the Golden Lion on alternate days.

And, just ignore the other aspects that may equate with the mass market.....otherwise QM 2 is a REAL experience.

No mass market line can compare with the quality of food/service offered; in fact, only Celebrity can even come close.

Based on two crossings' date=' food and service in Brittania are excellent.....on par with Crystal and Oceania, not equal to Seabourn, but, well above Rad/Regent, and, a bit above Silverseas.[/quote']

Well, I've not tried most of those, but I don't find Cunard's food and service in Britannia (QM2) or Caronia/Mauretania (QE2) to be so special.

Actually, last January aboard QE2 I had the absolute worst service I've ever had at sea (by far), but that was admittedly atypical.

I like Cunard but to me what makes it special is the fellow passengers, the on-board enrichment programs, and of course the uniqueness of running regular six-day Atlantic crossings. Food and service are not even near the top of my reasons for booking Cunard.

And' date=' just ignore the other aspects that may equate with the mass market.....otherwise QM 2 is a REAL experience.[/quote']

Yes but to me all those other mass-market aspects do make it a mass-market (or if you prefer "premium") product.

No mass market line can compare with the quality of food/service offered; in fact' date=' only Celebrity can even come close.[/quote']

I had really good food and service on my last Celebrity cruise, but they lately they are very, very inconsistent. I know too many people who have had both great and awful experiences on Celebrity, often within months to each other.

Personally I think HAL is now very, very close to Celebrity in the food area (at one time this was certainly not true, but things change) and they are certainly a lot more consistent. Plus, HAL ships, like Cunarders, have great wrap-around promenade decks :) .

I do think the food and service on HAL or (on a good day) Celebrity generally surpass the non-Grill Class on Cunard... Maybe not by a huge margin, but still better. In particular I tend to find Cunard's food rather under-seasoned... A complaint one often used to hear about HAL, before they revamped their food operation (ironically with a corporate chef who came from Cunard).

Anyhow, I guess all this just goes to show how different people's opinions of the same things can be :) .

The fact remains that luxury or not, QM2 does have a great promenade deck, something I would be happy to see on any new ship for any cruise line.

I will stand firm that, after being on board for 24 days, QM2 did not deliver a luxury product..period. That is dining in Queens Grill as well.. (Have to say that this was 3rd and 4th voyage on her..)

Host Dan

Well, I guess I am supposed to be happy that Cunard food and service are not on Seabourn...but I am not sure how that relates to the new ships.:confused: (Wouldn't want to hijack a thread:eek: )

I am not sure that a separate cinema would be necessary, but a multiuse theater would certainly be a big improvement (and one I believe has been contemplated). A venue for lectures, cooking demos, movies, etc. with a true stage and large AV screen would be a plus.

I also would not be surprised if there was a cigar/smoking lounge with more of the ship being non-smoking.

Archived