Bringing Liquor home on the airplane

tbill

Does anyone know if this is allowed now that you cannot bring liquid or gels over 3ozs on the plane...are we going to be allowed to bring our lot liquor alotment home on the airplane on our Nov. cruise? Has anyone had any experience with this issue since the new airline policy went into effect? Thanks in advance for your help!!!....we are going to be upset if we can't bring Guavaberry home with us!! :confused:

You will have to purchase a special shipping container and then put it with your checked bags. Remember, airlines limit the number of bags you can check, so if you are at your limit of usually 2 per passenger, you are out of luck without paying extra baggage charges.

As said, it is still not legal to carry it onboard with you as a carry on.

Does anyone know if this is allowed now that you cannot bring liquid or gels over 3ozs on the plane...are we going to be allowed to bring our lot liquor alotment home on the airplane on our Nov. cruise? Has anyone had any experience with this issue since the new airline policy went into effect? Thanks in advance for your help!!!....we are going to be upset if we can't bring Guavaberry home with us!! :confused:

Purchase one of these and check it in along with your luggage.

We returned from the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana Airport) in October. We were not allowed to carry on liquor, however American Airlines would carry the box provided by the duty free stores to the airplane and put it in the cargo area. At that time American Airlines was the only airline that would do this.

Upon arrival in St. Louis we saw how well this box held up in cargo. At least one of the bottles broke. The container held four bottles and since it wasn't ours we are guessing that only one broke. I don't think I would trust the airlines unless the bottles are packed very, very well.

We purchased two one liter bottles and wrapped them with clothes in the box Princess provides from their duty free shop (three bottle carboard box) and then packed it securely in our luggage around additional clothing. Honestly it was a crap shoot if it made it but we had NO PROBLEM. Not sure what the container is that a previous post suggested but this did work for us and we did have to transfer planes in Cincinnati so am sure the bag (not plastic) took a beating.

The container that I was speaking of is the box that duty free shops provide. They have boxes that hold two bottles or 4 bottles. There is only a piece of cardboard between the bottles.

It sounds like you take alot of precautions when you pack liquor. I Just wanted to make people aware that the way the duty free shops pack will probably not hold up in the cargo bay of an airplane.

I've been packing liquor for on-board consumption in one-liter plastic (Nalgene) containers and including them in my checked luggage for years. I've never had a problem with loss, breakage, leaking, or "confiscation."

For bringing overseas purchases home (twice since the new rules went into effect), I pack the bottles (securely padded with clothing) in my checked luggage and again, haven't had a problem.

I've been packing liquor for on-board consumption in one-liter plastic (Nalgene) containers and including them in my checked luggage for years. I've never had a problem with loss, breakage, leaking, or "confiscation."

For bringing overseas purchases home (twice since the new rules went into effect), I pack the bottles (securely padded with clothing) in my checked luggage and again, haven't had a problem.

Thanks for the cool tip! :)

Where's the best place to buy Nalgene bottles?

Where's the best place to buy Nalgene bottles?

I bought mine at Sports Authority several years ago. If not there, probably anyplace that has a comprehensive line of camping equipment or try on line (eBay, etc.).

You are allowed to bring liquor as carry-on if it is purchased in the duty free shops at the airport. As always, they bring it to you at the bridge just before you board.

Just be aware that this won't work if you have a connecting flight.

Just be aware that this won't work if you have a connecting flight.

I'd guess that's only partially true. Best bet is to check your entry/connecting airport and find out if you have to exit and reenter through TSA security between flights. If so, check the booze. If not, handcarry shouldn't be a problem.

When we go to St. Maarten in March, I am planning on asking them if they can ship it home for me. It's probably worth it so you don't have to put up with all the hassle.

Even IF they will ship it, which I do not think they will, by the time you paid the shipping costs, you might as well just purchase it at home. It will end up costing you more.

When we go to St. Maarten in March, I am planning on asking them if they can ship it home for me. It's probably worth it so you don't have to put up with all the hassle.

Assuming this restriction won't be lifted anytime soon, I'm thinking of investing in a small, hardsided suitcase.

Seems like a lot of expense that would override any savings. :confused: Only reason to me it would make sense is to bring back something you cannot get at home. :cool:

You cannot buy Guavaberry in the united states. You can order it on line but it is $7.00 more a bottle than if you buy it there. So if you buy it on line you still have to pay shipping charges. So if I buy it there for $7.00 cheaper a bottle and even if I have to pay shipping I am still saving $$$..

Archived